Oil Filter Relocation

Bo_

Registered
Has anyone designed a remote oil filter for the 08 or previous years.

Hi, I traded in my R1 and KLR last friday for an 08, I'm anal about oil changes and when I went to change the oil I was disappointed to see that the engineers turned a 15 minute job into an hour job, the entire right faring has to be removed to change the filter, unless someone knows a secret, I would be interested to hear an easy way to get the filter on and off.

Still haven't ridden it much, I did ride it a little last night it pulls real good. With it not be broke in and not being able to get it out and let it breath, so far all I am noticing are the negatives, I know that soon the awesome horsepower will over shadow the little negatives but so far these are some of the negatives I have noticed.

Antiquated instruments. The R1 (99 even) had a huge digital MPH readout, Busa has analog with very small numbers, hard for me to know my speed.

The trip 1 and 2 meters are so tiny you would have to have the vision of a 10 yr old to see them, and the embossed labels are practically invisible.

The only digital readout on the cluster is an idiot light to tell ya what gear you are in, stupid"¦..

It has a gas gauge, a low level light would have been fine.

No (choke) enrichner, when you crank it cold there is no way idle it up while you put on your helmet and gloves.

The seat is so low it feels like my knees are by my ears. or pegs high how ever you want to look at it.

It is heavy, it feels like I am pushing a Harley dresser around the garage. My R1, ZX9 and Gixxer 750 got me spoiled to lighter weight.

More vibration than I expected at highway speeds.

And worst of all, you have to take the entire right hand faring off to change the oil filter. All I can say is, beware of Busa's that get oil changes without filter changes.

moon.gif
big deal at least you have a busa now!!!! if thats big of a problem let your stealer do it for you.the power it has makes up for the weight it has.good luck

yo have to remember the busa is a gsx1300r, not a gsxr1300, its not a race rep bike, its a hyper tourer per say.

speed gauge - you get use to it, i had problems going from analog to digital, once you are use to it you be fine, you learn when the neddle should be at certian speed limit (legal speed limits)

Small trip meter, maybe you need classes, but how often do you acutally look at your trip meter?

Fuel Gague - you are a hyper touring not a sports bike and touring fuel gauge is useful

No need choke - most modern FI bikes have auto chokes, move with the times

Low seat - you are on a hyper touring bike, not a sports bike, they always have lower seat height, since are not designed for the race track.

Weight - might be a bit heavy to push around, but on the road, alot more stable due to that extra weight and longer wheelbase.

vibration - will die down a bit once got more kms on the bike.

You have gone from a "sport" to a "sport Tourer" come on down to the Busabash this spring at deals gap...

I can assure you that the shortcomings are nothing compared to the people you will meet...

I am sure if you bring the filter, we can change it for you.. and again for the fall bash... hows that for Busa service?

Anyway
welcome.gif
and give the thing some time to grow on you...

yo have to remember the busa is a gsx1300r, not a gsxr1300, its not a race rep bike, its a hyper tourer per say.

speed gauge - you get use to it, i had problems going from analog to digital, once you are use to it you be fine, you learn when the neddle should be at certian speed limit (legal speed limits)

Small trip meter, maybe you need classes, but how often do you acutally look at your trip meter?

Fuel Gague - you are a hyper touring not a sports bike and touring fuel gauge is useful

No need choke - most modern FI bikes have auto chokes, move with the times

Low seat - you are on a hyper touring bike, not a sports bike, they always have lower seat height, since are not designed for the race track.

Weight - might be a bit heavy to push around, but on the road, alot more stable due to that extra weight and longer wheelbase.

vibration  - will die down a bit once got more kms on the bike.
I agree with Macmotortrimmer!

I have an H-D Ultra, and the '08 'Busa. I would rather push my 'Busa around the garage than the Ultra any day.

...and I thought the ex wife was picky and bitched a lot.

Did you not look and sit on the Busa before you bought it? Machines won't change as humans do....
Of course it is heavier than a smaller bike... What were you thinking!
The gauges are not stupid....... it is in the eye of the beholder.
gotpm.gif

traded 2 bikes for your 08 and come here to complain about your new bike...

Welcome aboard i guess... I bought my 05 busa at Granbury Motorsports, they gave me a great deal!

Actually the gauges were intentionally designed that way. LCD digital gauges often suffer from being hard to see in sunlight, where as analog gauges are always legible, even at a glance, at extreme speeds and any lighting conditions.

While you complain about the gas needle, all I heard on my last group ride from a guy with 'just a light' was how much he wished he had a needle. Especially on a long ride when gas stations are few and far between.

As other's have said, I am surprised you complain this much about something you just spent all that money on. To each his own I guess.

Sounds like you bought this thing without much info as to what a Hayabusa is and now you have a little buyers remorse. What were your initial purchase criteria? Was this an impulse buy?This website is nothing but a treasure trove of information about these things. The people here will bend over backwards to help you sort through anything you can come up with. But your initial post just came across pretty negatively. People all over the US rushed out and Bought Hayabusas when they first came out so they could brag about how fast it was. Then reality set in and the bike either stayed parked alot or was sold to some lucky new owner with few miles. I see these all the time. Brand new bikes with 200 miles on them and the guy just wants out because he made a misjudgement of what a motorcycle ought to do for his or her personal needs. Guys Jumping from Gixxers to Harleys or vice versa just make me scratch my head. A proper (honest) evaluation of your needs will save you loads of cash in the long run.

Now back to the maintenance portion of you post. How exactly do the Side panels come off the new Busa? The old bikes were littered with a bunch of allen head cap screws, which are absent from the 08 for the most part. Once you get the panel off the oil change is childs play. This is one area I have to agree with you on though. The Yamaha guys have been putting the filters on the side of the engines for awhile now and it makes it stupid simple to change oil on them!

Break that thing in and then come back and tell us if you have a different view of the beasty.

Ok OK! Enough bro.
cool.gif
 BTW
welcome.gif
Let me know when is a good time and i will bring you a R1 and trade even up for that big heavy pc of hard too see and even harder to work on Busa. You did say 08 Orange rite!
whistling.gif

But hey folks I am hearing that the fairings are a real Bioch on the 08 to remove. and they need to be removed! They dont flex like per say my 06. Lower R screws out and i R&R my filter on a cool busa in 3 minutes.
lurk.gif

Can somebody post pics/explain how the o8 fairings come off? It loooks real clean without all those cap head screws. Do they have a lot of tabs or something? Probably will be waiting a while on my number to come up for mine... but I promise to come back and ***** about all the power it delivers!

Who the hell's lookin' at the guages anyway, dude?

If it bothers you that much, drop it off at my house with the title and you'll never have to worry about it again.
biggrin.gif
You can go back to all the slow bikes you've been ridin'!

I'm only half serious, man. You'll fall in love with it soon enough!

--Wag--

Thanks for all the help. I said I was stating a few negatives that I had noticed. I do wear glasses. I have been watching, reading about and took a few rides on Busa's since the cream and copper ones came out in 99 or whenever it was. There for a minute I thought i was at gixxer dot com with all the flame throwers.

Apparently no one that read my post has removed a RH faring from an 08, I can tell you it is not a 10 minute job. Maybe after it has been removed a few times, but the first time you do it. If anyone figures out how to do it easy, post up.

I drained the oil at 259 miles and it was black as crap.

Has there ever been a remote oil filter designed for the busa?

I'm trying to get some help here, I don't care to get in a childish flame war, I'm 53 yrs old, I've owned 33 motorcycles over the past 40 years.

I appreciate the ones of you posted back a serious mature response.

Again, my 2 questions are, 1 any tips on removing the faring, 2 remote oil filter.

And I still stand by my initial complaints, and I found a few more today, like the flipping shift light is hidden by the clutch reservoir.

And to the trip guage guy, I use trip 1 and 2 constantly, trip 1 tracks my fuel and trip 2 tracks my oil.

Guage guy, I look at the gauges, primarily the temp and speed.

No buyer's remorse, I got in it right, I could make money on it today if I wanted, The KLR I traded sat in the barn most of the time and the R1 was due for quite a bit of work this winter so I thought it was a good time to unload both of them and get the Busa since I been wanting one for a few years.

I Can say one good thing about it, I rolled out and back on it in first today and wheelied the dog out of it, that was the first smile that it has brought to my face, I'm sure many more to come.

Not sure how you sit on the bike but I can see the shift light just fine. Kinda surprised it took over 250 miles to get your first smile from the bike. I think your glass is half empty....

Gee,I don't understand! The oil filter is a breeze to take off and change,as is the oil. All you have to do is take off the right side faring and it is right in front of you. Be sure to give the oil filter two complete turns once the filter contacts the base or it will loosen up.Use a synthetic oil suitable for your bike. I use the cheap stuff called Rotella in the blue one gallon containers. Aftermarket oil filters are much cheaper than Suzuki too!

Back