Oil causing clutch to slip?

RTanner

Registered
I posted this in busa problems to and I'm sure I could find info from searching but I'm posting from my phone at work. So I bought a big bore built busa and changed the oil and took it out yesterday. As I'm riding around I notice the clutch slipping and getting progressively worse as I'm riding. Is there a possibility that since I used royal purple 10w30 NON motorcycle oil that I gummed up the clutches? Can I remedy this by changing out to a motorcycle specific oil? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new clutch kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

I posted this in busa problems to and I'm sure I could find info from searching but I'm posting from my phone at work. So I bought a big bore built busa and changed the oil and took it out yesterday. As I'm riding around I notice the clutch slipping and getting progressively worse as I'm riding. Is there a possibility that since I used royal purple 10w30 NON motorcycle oil that I gummed up the clutches? Can I remedy this by changing out to a motorcycle specific oil? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new clutch kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

You need to be careful when using non-motorcycle oil. Many of the car oils have additives that will hurt a mc clutch. I don't know specifically about Royal Purple. Someone else may have a more definitive answer.

Posted via Mobile Device
You could try changing the oil, but more than likely you just need new clutch plates.

go near the bottom to the addendum and check it out. hope you have the royal purple containers still

Motorcycle Motor Oil

however, if its slipping i would pull em, check em out and if they look good clean em with a good cleaner(i use start fluid)to get the old oil off and put em back in.

hope that helps

Royal Purple car oil is NOT good for motorcycles. It is Great for cars but has a lot of friction modifiers. Since you just changed the oil nothing should be hurt but change it immediately to a motorcycle specific oil.

Inspect your clutch pack first. Make sure it's not a worn out clutch causing the slip. Don't just stare at the plates and fiber but measure stack height, and individual plate thickness. Also check the steel plates are not warped or over burnt.

go near the bottom to the addendum and check it out. hope you have the royal purple containers still

Motorcycle Motor Oil

however, if its slipping i would pull em, check em out and if they look good clean em with a good cleaner(i use start fluid)to get the old oil off and put em back in.

That article did say that wrong oil could cause slippage. Hopefully that's all it is, how much work is it to pull the clutch apart?

hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

I changed from mineral base oil to synthetic oil in my GSXR and had the same problem. I changed the clutch plates and upgraded the springs one notch and fixed the problem. I used OEM plates as the specs are better. Never had a problem after that, kept using the synthetic.

Royal Purple car oil is NOT good for motorcycles. It is Great for cars but has a lot of friction modifiers. Since you just changed the oil nothing should be hurt but change it immediately to a motorcycle specific oil.

I've been using regular Royal Purple 10w40 for about 10000 miles(since 2500)with zero issues, and I'm hard on a bike. The clutch is simply worn out.

How much work is it to pull the clutch plates?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's very simple, and you can download the service manual from this site. The clutch can be changed without draining the oil too, but now would be the time to change the oil for your own piece of mind.:beerchug:

I think I'll try cleaning and inspecting them first, and take it from there. Definately gonna change to a motorcycle specific oil too!
Posted via Mobile Device

its a pretty straight foreward deal. pull the fairing and look at the clutch cover. youll see all the bolts. just pull them out and be careful not to break the gaskest so you can reuse it. pull them out one at a time and stack them in order so you can put em back in the same way.
clean them up, drain the old oil and get a new filter
i would go ahead and put in the 3 stronger clutch springs while i had it apart too.
good luck.

I use regular 15w40 Royal Purple in my busa as well and have never had a prob. Clutch is going bad just go ahead and upgrade:thumbsup:

So I pulled it apart and WOW were they smoked! Bought a new kit from a local dealer and put it in this evening and it totally rips now! Job was a piece of cake, no problems at all!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back