OEM front sprocket

Jaysus

Bling Free
Donating Member
Registered
Does the front OEM sprocket have a rubber dampner on it?? I ordered A Vortex and it doesn't have a dampner.

I have a gen2, and put a Vortex on the front. They are thinner, because they don't have the rubber on them. It will work fine, don't worry about it.

The dampner is to help smooth out some of the buzz. Did you nottice any differance? I'm going to put on the vortex, I was just wondering.

Thanks

Last edited:
No, none, it works great. I'm gonna take it back off tomorrow because I don't like it geared this way, but no other complaints.

Just went out and checked my stock '08-it IS rubber damped. But if you check it out close it looks like the chain links hit the rubber-probably just to reduce chain noise. There is NO dampening between the splines and the teeth-that's solid. I've been using a Vortex 17t front with a ZZZ chain the last 3500 miles with no problems and I'm about to put a 18t vortex on for a couple road trips the next couple of months with no reservations at all(I'm running JT steel rear sprocket).

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

Does the front OEM sprocket have a rubber dampner on it?? I ordered A Vortex and it doesn't have a dampner.

Works fine, Vortex is made shooting towards less weight in rotating mass, thus no damper and holes drilled in the sprocket itself. I have a 17 th front and can't tell any noise or vibration difference. :beerchug:

I'm leaving the stock gearing because I tour on it............ Indy in two weeks, GP baby!!!! :thumbsup: See If Ben can get back on the box!! :bowdown:

I just need to put on my chain and sprockets and buy a new rear tire and I'm off.

I'm leaving the stock gearing because I tour on it............ Indy in two weeks, GP baby!!!! :thumbsup: See If Ben can get back on the box!! :bowdown:

I just need to put on my chain and sprockets and buy a new rear tire and I'm off.

If you do mostly touring, I would think about 18/41 or 40 for mileage. Plus if you decide to road trip to Loring you can run 200+... :laugh:

Gen 2 has so much lower gearing than my RIP 2008 ZX14, my riding bud would regularly beat me on sub 100 mph roll on's.
The difference in the rpm in top gear is about 500 more than the 14.
He also gets great gas mileage like in the 50's most all the time. I could never get past the low 40's.

your better off replacing it...some of the chain stretch isn't actually the chain stretching its the rubber on the damper wearing out and thus allowing the chain to ride around the sprocket a little tighter making the chain a little more lose...its very minute but it happens...i have had the same vortex front and rear on my ride for 22k miles now with a (did) chain

im in indiana but about 2 1/2 hours north of indy..if you need a place to crash your welcome here...ill even feed ya 574 904 8146 Todd

im in indiana but about 2 1/2 hours north of indy..if you need a place to crash your welcome here...ill even feed ya 574 904 8146 Todd

Thanks for the invite!! :thumbsup:

I'm staying at the track in a buddies RV, if something fall through I may give you a call.

The OEM Chain and sprockets are the best

Back