Not sure if you want to go hid?

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Just finished installing the HID... and,

I took the bike for a short ride to see the HID do its thing at night. Holy shiznit! This thing lights up the neighborhood. Anyone out there on the fence about buying an HID? All I've got to say is just do it... you'll be glad you did.

The 6000K HID, reverse style illumiglo gauges and a blue color Acumen is just awesome. Here is a pic of the HID. I will take another pic of the gauges with the Acumen installed later.

hid_yellow.jpg

Nice - how about a short how to and where you bought your HID as a reference.

Thanks

Kent

I agree. I quick "how to" would be awesome. Out of curiosity, would the 5000k kit have less blue and more white in it? The 6k looks mighty blue, and I'm really trying to get the whitest light as possible with just a hint of blue to it.

I won't go with HID, I don't ride at night and been a few that ran into problems after installing those. But thats just me.. to each his own.

Yea that probably is one of the best dollar for dollar upgrades out there. Most of the members here agree and they get a good response every time there is a group buy. Every so often I get caught on a back road at night and wish I made the move. Should be able to get that done next month.

I won't go with HID, I don't ride at night and been a few that ran into problems after installing those.  But thats just me.. to each his own.
I was up in the air about doing the HID too. I read about the problems with the light not coming on and that installing an on/off switch is the solution to the problem. I don't/didn't want to install a switch but I went ahead and installed the HID anyway.

I've heard the stories about how the HID worked for a couple of weeks and then wham, it wouldn't turn on every time after that. Mine has been in for about a week now without any problems... knock on wood! I will cross that bridge if it stops working.

I agree. I quick "how to" would be awesome. Out of curiosity, would the 5000k kit have less blue and more white in it? The 6k looks mighty blue, and I'm really trying to get the whitest light as possible with just a hint of blue to it.
There have been others that have done "how to", so I didn't really take pictures or document how I did mine. I followed what other's had done before. To answer the question, yes the install is pretty easy and straight forward. To make matters more interesting, it seems that kits are slightly different between vendors, so one persons install is going to be a little different than another install.

It's all basically the same though. Remove the stock bulb and put the HID  in its place. Find a good spot to mount the ballast and such. Cable tie the wires down and that's pretty much it.

I followed for ideas on where to mount the components.

Yes the 5000K will have less blue and more white. The lower the K the whiter the light will be. I have the 6000K and it's a nice color. I wanted to go for the 8000K kit but the member I split the kit with didn't want that much blue. I have Icemann's yellow high-beam bulb and really love the HID/yellow combination. In the future I may remove the yellow bulb and install another HID for the high-beam. If I do that I will buy a 8000K bulb to replace the 6000K and make the high-beam a whiter color.

PS I think the 6000K is just the right amount of blue. The pic above seems to inhance the color more so than seeing it in person.

Steve

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142879618 -->

Thank you East Coast for answering my questions. My concern with going with a 5k vs. a 6k is that the 5k will start to pick up a slight yellow tint, and I'd like to stay completely away from yellow, even if I have to steer more toward the blue.

Thank you East Coast for answering my questions. My concern with going with a 5k vs. a 6k is that the 5k will start to pick up a slight yellow tint, and I'd like to stay completely away from yellow, even if I have to steer more toward the blue.
You're welcome. I think I gave you some false info. As the HID goes down in (K) value the brighter it gets, but it also appears to have more yellow in it.

I think you're making the right choice by going with the 6000K.

Go with the 6k you'll be very pleased. Also install a switch and relay so you can turn it on and off.

Back