No Police...No Problem...

I've seen most of what your are talking about on a daily bases, except the shooting of a suspect. However, just yesterday I had to fly a police officer that was shot by two felons that the swat team was trying to arrest because they were involved in the aleged murder of thier neighbors and had several warrants. I do believe in police and the law. I don't however, have any sympathy for those who break our laws.

A good friend of mine was shot in the back 9 times by a gun happy cop  He did miss twice as the guy drove a way. 11 shots fired. Still a little bitter on this one. Theres never a time I need a cop.
Can you explain what caused your friend to be shot???I mean was he jay walking, selling without a permit or had he just committed murder???Eleven shots would seem to be extrememly high but police are trained to apply the necessary force to stop the threat...Therefore if it was determined that the application of deadly force was necessary then one shot to three empty clips was appropriate if it were necessary...Your perception of LEO's is still based on one incident maybe more who knows...

It's also cool that you can handle your own business...Kind of equates to vigilante justice...Just don't get yourself in a position where you end up being judged by a jury of your peers they may have a perception of you...Would they then be fair and impartial???
evil.gif

I would just like to thank all you Police officers out there. Being a former Marine I have seen and been through quite a lot. Most of my friends are in law enforcement or the military. We never get the pay and more often than not, the respect we deserve. My wife is also a High school guidance counselor. Talk about a thank less job! Nevertheless I would just like for all of you out there that protect and serve my deepest gratitude. (except for that guy that gives me the ticket
biggrin.gif
) Thanks again.

Hook,
you need to fill us in on how your friend was in a situation where he was shot by the police.

I have been a cop for a long time and have seen every thing Stunnah said. I was on the Tactical Tracking Team for the Sheriff's Office I worked for in South Carolina. During in an armed robbery of a Taco Bell in 1996 we tracked two suspects for about a mile when one of them stepped out from behind a bush with a Tec-9 and opened fire hitting my friend in the neck and hip. I shot a clip for cover fire (it was night) and another clip at the suspect when I noticed him run for better cover, I hit him once in the upper leg only to find out later that he was just a kid. In 2000 I was having dinner with two friends, when they got a call to go to another domestic. They were ambushed and KILLED by the husband who was hidding in a closet. They left behind a total of two wives and four young children.
I could be like you Hook and hold a grudge aganst civilans.... but that does not help anyone.

And just think Hook, the same cop your complaining about will put his life on the line to help you when you get your self in to a situation you can't get out of.

Anyway, when was the last time you walk up to a cop just to shot the shi# with him and say hi???

This is a tough subject, there's no doubt about it...I used to have very myopic vision when it came to my opinion of cops...it was easy for me to watch the news and think "why in the hell didn't they get that guy sooner?" then turn right around and blame the cops for the death of innocent bystanders in a high speed pursuit in the next breath...

I was also jaded because I was privy to a police officer in my circle of acquaintances that abused his power beyond reproach, including abuse toward his wife...so, I'll admit, I let that situation cover my eyes to what police officers do and offer to society and downed them whenever I could...

I've got a new found respect for the profession though...partly thanks to being good friends with a police officer in my area, and largely due to knowing guys on here, especially BT...you guys face some of the most diverse and difficult issues, and what we all seem to forget is that in a split second, you have to decide what's the best course of action given the circumstances facing you...anything with a bad outcome is surely going to leave people pointing fingers and asking "why?", but the bottom line is that in that moment, police officers make decisions based on what they are facing at that time, and the outcome is a mix of what they do as well as all other factors around them...

Bottom line...I wouldn't want to do that job...it takes some special kind of person to pull it off, put up with the bullshit and aftermath of every move you make, and no, society couldn't pull off a safe existence without police protection...

I'm not sucking up or trying to make anyone feel good by saying all of this...it's truly what I feel...I really try to pull back from any news story blatantly tossing around the "he shouldn't have pursued" scenario and try to imagine how difficult it was to decide what to do in any given situation...plus, imagine how all of those police officers feel if they've been involved with taking someone's life during pursuit?  That's a lot to live with, a lot to ponder and question, a lot to feel responsible for...I doubt they walk away thinking "oh well...that's life"...it's got to be hard...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "can't spell"|1080051159 -->

Wow very tough subject for sure. I have quite a few friends that are police officers. I think I have said it before and I will say it again. Police officers are no different than any one of us. Except they need to make decisions everyday in a split second that have a more public and important outcome. This particular instance its hard to say. Should they have not chased him..... Well I dont know Personally I believe in more of a follow than an outright chase. Depends on the crime. Could you wait and get this guy later track him by helicopter until he stops.... Again I was not there. What if you lost him and he raped and killed another child while he was free. You will never make everyone happy. Not every cop should be a cop either there are alot of bad ones I will take the flames from those of you that were or are police officers but it is a low paying thankless job and there is (atleast here in Maine) a big turnover. People with better than you attitudes and huge egos. Ihave seen this firsthand several times. But I have also seen the ones that actually care about the people and relaize that they are there to protect and serve. The US is not a military dictatorship by our police force. I think better pay better benefits and a better screening process nationwide (as I am sure there are better police forces out there than some I have seen) would make a positive contribution. While I am on this rant one other thing I would like to see is moving radar I realize you cant let people run here and there as fast as they want but what a huge waste of manpower. Get those guys investigating stolen bikes get them out there moving around patrolling get them seen so people know they are there instead of creating revenues for the towns and states. Speed traps should be considered entrapment. More detective and investigative work by our police force to cut down on major crimes. OK I have to go back to work I feel better though

STUNNAH, good way to put it. You know we always complain about how the police harrass us or how arrogant they can be. Well I guess if I put my life on the line everyday for unappreciative & disrespectful people for peanuts in my wallet, I'd have a little bit of an attitude also. Can't imagine what that lifes like so big ups to police officers & fire fighters. I think AMERICA developed a new found respect for both professions post-9/11. Anyway again good words bruh and be safe.

Peace.

We would not bea powerful US of A without our Law Enforcement.
Ever see what happens in countries with weak law enforcement?
Riots, food control, looting, slumlords, just to name a few.

even though I have my choice words to say about police... They are always helping out and looking out for the public. I shouldn't complain
40__s.gif

Just to clear something up. I AM NOT A COP HATER. No, I am not basing my opinion about LE on that one incident its just the start. The deal where my friend got shot was along time ago. He was a trouble maker but was never arrested or charged with anything. He was on a country road talking to his girlfriend when this cop pulls up my friend gets back in his truck and drives away. Cops story he tried to run over me so I shot him. 11 shots fired 9 hit him all fired at the back for the truck. Seems like the threat was passed. Girl friends story cop was not out of his car when the truck went by. I had to many dealings with this cop to believe his story. The gun always seemed to be his answer to every situation and this was not the first person that he had shot.
Back to the case that started all this. This is my opinion on this. You can tell me of no situation that warrants a high speed chase and for sure one that ends like this. There is always another day to catch the bad guys. I can only ask in this situation if the cop would have chosen not to chase would there be an issue here.
This deal could go on and on. I don't come here to make enemies just my opinion

hooken203...You make no enemies here...We all have topics of interest and this is a simple representation of that...I haven't read a post here that is out of context...Sometimes a thread such is this is good for all to revisit and reflect on past events and the future...You better hang around!!!
evil.gif

Just to clear something up. I AM NOT A COP HATER. No, I am not basing my opinion about LE on that one incident its just the start. The deal where my friend got shot was along time ago. He was a trouble maker but was never arrested or charged with anything. He was on a country road talking to his girlfriend when this cop pulls up my friend gets back in his truck and drives away. Cops story he tried to run over me so I shot him. 11 shots fired 9 hit him all fired at the back for the truck. Seems like the threat was passed. Girl friends story cop was not out of his car when the truck went by. I had to many dealings with this cop to believe his story. The gun always seemed to be his answer to every situation and this was not the first person that he had shot.
Back to the case that started all this. This is my opinion on this. You can tell me of no situation that warrants a high speed chase and for sure one that ends like this. There is always another day to catch the bad guys. I can only ask in this situation if the cop would have chosen not to chase would there be an issue here.
This deal could go on and on. I don't come here to make enemies just my opinion
I suspect we all have our misgivings about police, whether it's something that happened to us or a friend...it's normal to harbor some resentment in some way...

But, I'd have to disagree with your statement about their NEVER being a need for a high speed chase...you don't always have the next day to catch the bad guys...what if that guy the police are chasing is a suspected serial killer they've been trying to net for years? What if there's a child in the car and if they don't get that guy right then and there, that child might not ever been seen again? What if the car is full of explosives and you believe that driver is headed for a federal building or school? There are tons of "what-ifs"...that's why it becomes so vital that cops are trained to know exactly what move to make in any given circumstance...sometimes a high speed pursuit is warranted, and if it ends good, everyone congratulates the cop on a job well done...if it goes bad, they point the finger...it's a tough call for any one...there's no clear line or answer...

Pretty loaded subject. Have met many many LEO's at school and on the wrong end of the patrol car. All except two were very nice, reasonable, folks.

Couldn't imagine living without them. If your not in the mood to pay taxes, ask yourself the question, would we be better off with out the police, hospitals, roads, libraries teachers, etc...?

Always a few a$$e$ in the bucket, but that's anywhere. I cannot agree with the statement that

"There is always another day to catch the bad guys"

What are the bad guys doing between now and then. From a frequent speeder's pooint of view it would be nice to eliminate sppeing tickets, but is it logical?

Probably not.

Thnks from me to all the hard working cops out there!

Do we need LEO's? Of course! Are they underpaid? Yes. Are many of them power hungry uneducated morons that went thru life feeling left out so they chose to be cops to get what repsect they otherwise could not get except by carrying a gun? You betcha.

BUT!!!! I have more than a few friends that are officers and I have nothing against officers in general, in fact I applaud their efforts. Someone has to do it - god bless 'em! Its just the few that ruin their image for all the rest of them that should not be allowed to exist, yet they do on every force in the nation. Why!!!!

Perhaps if they were paid more, much more, these institutions could attract a better gene pool to their ranks (ok, that was a little low perhaps). Same goes for teachers unfortunately. Way underpaid and way too many that should be doing something else.

As for me, I stay out of trouble and show a little respect and LEO's give respect right back to you in most cases. If they don't, politely take it up with their supervisor. And remember those "damn pigs" just might save your life one day so don't be an ass!!

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080075204 -->

For the sake of argument, let's say this a-hole just raped yer little 6-7-8 year old girl. This piece of poop has violated YOUR child. Your child will never be the same again. Gone is that innocence yer little girl once had. She will never forget the terror she went through. Ok, cops get a tip on where he is and go to get him for what he done to your little girl. He sees the cops and flees. If you were there, or just had a radio and could talk to the cops that are after him at that moment can you honestly sit here and say that you'd tell 'em, "Hold up guys, you can just catch him later. There's always another day to catch the bad guys.".

Personally, I don't believe in long chases either. I believe in puttin' the fleeing muthafugger in the fuggin' ditch as soon as possible and sorting the rest out at the jail. Runnin' someone all over the damned country and risking lives ain't worth it to me either. At the same time I can't just say to hell with it, we'll get him another day. I wouldn't want to live with the fact that I just let 'em go and they victimized someone else.

I'm all for legislation that makes running from the popo a felony. I'm with you in that too many people are injured or killed in chases, including officers. At the same time I think the laws should also mandate stopping the fleeing felon as soon as possible by any means necessary and pin any liability to the runner's ass, not the cops. I think the runner should be charged with and found guilty of Agg. Assault on an officer for putting him at risk of bodily injury by running at high speeds.

Legislation and laws like this would reduce runners. Not chasin' and sayin' let's get 'em another day will mean everybody runs. How many of you would run without a tag on yer busa and haul ass every fuggin where you go if you knew that no cop would be allowed to chase you and all you had to do was twist on 'er, get up on one, and simply evaporate as you hang 'em a finger with yer left hand? I'd do what the fug I wanted to and just run when they lit me up. If you say you'd always just pull on over knowin' they can't chase if you run you're tellin' a lie.
wink.gif
Keep in mind, most of us here are considered to be the honest, law abiding citizens, not the slugs that get out and burglarize homes and steal bikes. We all pay for our shid, but even we would evaporate when lit up if there were no consequences. Just think about that. You think the slugs would ever stop?

Simply not chasin' is NOT the answer. Simply chasin' isn't either. There's a middle ground somewhere that would minimize risk to innocent people (other than the officers that have to get involved and stop it). Exactly where that middle ground is, I'm not sure. I certainly don't agree with either extreme, though.

I'm with Train,
I'm one but one too and don't like some of them ether...

Just like a few bad cops can make us all look bad, a few sport bike riders blistering through traffic during the day can make all motorcycle riders look bad. Are they all bad? Of course not....

And Hook, as far as making enemies, if we can't agree to disargree once and a while and try to understand one another, well then we allready lost the game.... (if you know what I mean)

BulletTrain
In the scenario that you laid out I would rather catch him myself and deal with him. Payback is a -----.
I sure dont have the answer on alot of these situations.
I almost forgot in all the reading on this post the one about the bad mechanics. Don't you watch TV we are all a bunch of crooks.Get your car in here and help me get that Turbo Busa.
Is it time to ride yet?

Back