Newbie with starting problems

RobB

Registered
First off - hi I'm a new busa owner and new to the site!

Recently got myself a 1999 Busa for a tour of France I'm doing in the Summer.
Gone to start it and there's a hell of a clatter from the starter assembly. Ensured there was a high output battery attached and that it was fully charged, still clacking away.
I replaced the starter motor with a refurb and it's exactly the same. There's no marks on the casings and everything looks ok.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is likely to be, what I need to remedy it and where I can get the parts from?

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the quick reply. I had the casings off and everything looked fine, there was no wear on the starter clutch teeth and everything seemed to knit together well.
Am I missing something / should I be looking at something else?

Thanks

Don't know enough about it, but I'd try turning the crank by hand to ensure it's not locked up. Good starter, good battery ..........................

I think the starter clutch has a slipper or "one-way" bearing. If it's frozen, or spins in the wrong direction, you will have the starter shaft, and reduction gears just spin away without turning the clutch shell. Are the teeth on the clutch shell in good condition?

Hi I've turned the crank by hand no problem other than the amount of effort required to do it.

All the teeth look fine, once in place I can't see anyway that they could slip or not engage?

Cheers

Hi I've turned the crank by hand no problem other than the amount of effort required to do it.

All the teeth look fine, once in place I can't see anyway that they could slip or not engage?  

Cheers
Just to be clear, I was referring to the STARTER CLUTCH itself, not the CRANK.

If the bearing slips, your starter shaft will turn, engage the reduction gears, but not turn the crank assembly.

I'm sure that it's nothing major, and that you'll be able to remedy it without the need of a dealer's service department.

Please post back what you find.

Your start clutch is failing.to test turn to the left it should freewheel,turn to the right it shouldn't move,if you try to turn to the right and jiggle it at the same time and it skips & free spins it's bad...jiggle it while turning right and if it skips one time it's done...i have in stock and can ship today if needed...you will also need to install case protector,in stock also...

Back