Newbie in Cali

Blu240z

Registered
New to bikes, just picked up a 2007 busa any recommendation for a newbie

A1BB2AFF-C117-4D40-A12F-721FAC88463C.jpeg

I am reading your other post and trying to clarify "bought 2007 bike with 217 miles was wrecked a week after purchase. " Was this bike wrecked when brand new and then it sat all this time? It looks great in this photo so who put it back together?

Would love to see the blue 240Z :)

How did you end up with a bike? And how did you end up making your first one of the most powerful bikes in history? Please be cautious.

I recommend paying attention 100% of the time, not drinking, not riding at night, not far exceeding speed limits, and assume that everyone will turn left right in front of you. Those are some of the things that tend to kill riders.

The ergonomics of these bikes make one want to lie down. Tuck in your elbows in so that your arms are more vertical than horizontal. Squeeze the tank with your legs and do exercises like leg lifts and ab rollers to strengthen your core. When you get on the bike feel how your weight wants to weigh down the handlebars and then do everything possible to hold yourself up and avoid that, or the steering gets muddied.

Do you know countersteering? You better before getting on the road!

Yes that’s the bike my uncle bought new let his kid ride, kid wrecked around the corner from his house sat since 2007 I purchased it for $400 lmao, bought an aftermarket fairing kit & put it back together myself. Had a bunch of fast cars but never a bike. I’ve been very careful just riding up and down my street and staying in my neighborhood to get the feel of it. I know nothing about countersteering on bikes I’m an old guy lol and have a lot of patience not interested in going fast on it until I learn it. My neighbor has the same bike limited edition white and silver gonna start riding with him to help learn how to ride. Thanks for your post and recommendations greatly appreciated Here’s a pic of the z started out blu then went with the original color

6393FA41-41BC-40A0-A796-FF218C06C341.jpeg

EA4953B6-1B6A-433A-8C93-28A4CBE2EB26.jpeg

Welcome the bike and car look great....

Advice, well that was covered pretty good by @Hayabusa Wannabe

I might add, the Hayabusa can be a very docile bike to ride, it only goes fast if you make it go fast....I would advise to get to know the bike well before doing that. When it is asked to go fast, it can be unforgiving and you could find yourself in a ditch in a hurry.

What size motor is in the Dato bro , looks like it is big ? Good you got the Busa , and good advice given by the lads , just double mention , make sure you got new pads and front calipers all re fluid with dot 4 . Cos you know your car stuff , you obviously are capable fella , get yourself a genuine Suzuki workshop manual if you can spare the dough , it will then be a breeze to work on . Welcome mate .

That car would move out nicely eh !! Datsuns , they are called Dato's over here in OZ , reckon Chev equipped on the street is great mate . Keep us posted now you have joined up , just ride at your comfortable pace , and enjoy yourself . The front 6 pot Tokico on Gen 1 are known for not a lot of lever feel , as are the Gen 2 Tokico , so bleeding them etc. will at least confirm they will be working .

I know nothing about countersteering on bikes I’m an old guy lol and have a lot of patience not interested in going fast on it until I learn it. My neighbor has the same bike limited edition white and silver gonna start riding with him to help learn how to ride.

Holy cow LS6 240Z!

Countersteering: The rider leans the bike by steering in the opposite direction from the turn. Going right, PUSH the right handlebar, the bike leans right and it goes right. Going left, PUSH the left handlebar, the bike leans left, and due to mysteries in its geometry it goes left. The handle push is an even and not jerky but quick motion. When you start from a stop the situation is muddied. It will steer like a car when going real slow but as soon as the bike hits a certain speed then it countersteers. You must develop a feel for that and the steering actually depends on how fast you accelerate from the stop.

You will notice when you brake this bike dives a lot. One of the big objectives on a sport bike is to use the throttle and brake as smoothly as possible so as to keep the bike level. That keeps traction on the front and rear even. That keeps you safer as well as the bike performing at its best.

Before braking make the bike perfectly straight. If it is leaned at all then inertia will want to throw the bike to the side and throw you right off.

Consider taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. Your buddy might be a great rider but the professional instructors are amazing at observing tiny nuances in the rider's use of front and rear brakes, throttle, etc. and they provide the best professional feedback. They have 200 CC bikes which are like bicycles to get around and best of all you can qualify for your motorcycle endorsement if you pass the exam after merely a couple days of intense skill practicing. The course is subsidized from license fees so they tend to be pretty cheap.

Look up "Dan Dan the fireman" on Youtube. He does motorcycle crash reviews and riding safety videos. Excellent information and advice already listed above me. An MSF course is only $200 and 3-days in my area. Well worth the money!

I did the same thing as you with all of my bikes: rode around the neighborhood until I was comfortable at low speeds and turns before hitting the main road. As someone who has run off during a curve: anyone can go fast in a straight line but learning to counter steer, lean, and brake is vital on a motorcycle. Good tires will save your skin...out of all the parts for the busa, DO NOT cheap out on them!

Holy cow LS6 240Z!

Countersteering: The rider leans the bike by steering in the opposite direction from the turn. Going right, PUSH the right handlebar, the bike leans right and it goes right. Going left, PUSH the left handlebar, the bike leans left, and due to mysteries in its geometry it goes left. The handle push is an even and not jerky but quick motion. When you start from a stop the situation is muddied. It will steer like a car when going real slow but as soon as the bike hits a certain speed then it countersteers. You must develop a feel for that and the steering actually depends on how fast you accelerate from the stop.

You will notice when you brake this bike dives a lot. One of the big objectives on a sport bike is to use the throttle and brake as smoothly as possible so as to keep the bike level. That keeps traction on the front and rear even. That keeps you safer as well as the bike performing at its best.

Before braking make the bike perfectly straight. If it is leaned at all then inertia will want to throw the bike to the side and throw you right off.

Consider taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. Your buddy might be a great rider but the professional instructors are amazing at observing tiny nuances in the rider's use of front and rear brakes, throttle, etc. and they provide the best professional feedback. They have 200 CC bikes which are like bicycles to get around and best of all you can qualify for your motorcycle endorsement if you pass the exam after merely a couple days of intense skill practicing. The course is subsidized from license fees so they tend to be pretty cheap.

counter-steering sounds counter intuitive when you think about it, but if you've even ridden a bicycle, you are probably doing it already w/o even knowing it. :-)

counter-steering sounds counter intuitive when you think about it, but if you've even ridden a bicycle, you are probably doing it already w/o even knowing it. :-)

There’s no “probably” about it. If you ride you counter steer even if you don’t realize you’re doing it. It’s easy enough to prove it, on an empty road push the right hand grip and the bike goes left. Odd huh? But true. Same thing happens if you pull on one grip, the bike steers the other way. We all do it.

There’s no “probably” about it. If you ride you counter steer even if you don’t realize you’re doing it. It’s easy enough to prove it, on an empty road push the right hand grip and the bike goes left. Odd huh? But true. Same thing happens if you pull on one grip, the bike steers the other way. We all do it.
I got that backwards. If you push the right grip the bike turns right not left.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase.

Bear in mind, when you twist the throttle the things that are really far ahead of you, become very close very quickly.

Back