New suspension settings

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Ok,

Jinkster and I are about the same size so I used his exact settings with the following exceptions:

I only adjusted the rear pre-load 2mm not 4mm.  The front compression Jinkster has set at 4 clicks, the manual says the stiffer setting (from stock) is 9 clicks.  I set mine at 6 clicks.

I rode the same 47-mile stretch of road yesterday morning with Moondog as I rode this morning with Shibumi.  The weather was exactly the same as yesterday.

Yesterday I dropped into a banked left hand tight 25mph corner and at the bottom of the corner felt the bike "sink" into the suspension and not in a good controlled way.  That happened in a couple of corners right and left.  By the end of the ride, I knew something had to change.

I reset the suspension last night.

This morning, Shibumi and I took off.  No pics, not the intent of the ride.  I dropped into the same corners as close as I could get to the same as yesterday.  Guinevere was solid; she handled the corners as if she was on rails.  We completed the ride down and had to soften the front of Shibumi's just a bit, he is not as a big a guy as I am.  With my new found confidence in this big bikes suspension, we started the return trip.

Came thru the same corners, half off the seat and on the edge of the tires, awesome awesome awesome.  We did about 7 miles on the interstate on the way back to determine how rough the ride was for "touring".  Not too bad.

I did not do all the measurements that Jinkster did.  With he and I being with 10-15 lbs of each other I decided that his numbers were good.

Under hard acceleration the nose does not come up as far or as fast allowing for even quicker controlled acceleration, while keeping both wheels on the ground.  Under hard braking the nose still dives (I am 245 + the bike, does not matter what you do the nose is going to dive) but the dive is more precise, consistent and predictable.

I am running Avon AV46/45 tires.  They are "sport touring".  Even with my fat butt on the bike, they were steady and predictable.  No slipping at all.  The bike turns in nice and smooth and comes out the same way.  Oh yeah, I have about 1400 miles on them and they look almost brand new.  

The only negative aspect of the adjustments is that with it being stiffer all the way around, you feel every single little bump in the road in your butt and your shoulders.

Over all opinion:

I commute 150 miles a day when I ride, usually the "slab" interstate on the way down and this mornings ride on the way back.  Even with the stiffer settings, the bike is still comfortable to ride.  

If you have considered doing this and thought, "How much difference could those little adjs make?  Get away from the computer and go tweak your suspension".

Thanks Bill, for the research and info.

See you all soon (meet-n-greet), in a corner near you on a bike that will not carve corners.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155486294 -->

I'm suspension retarded......eeeerrrrr , mentally challenged ! Click this , mm that ....aaaahhhhh the madness !!!

I am running Avon AV46/45 tires.  They are "sport touring".  Even with my fat butt on the bike, they were steady and predictable.  No slipping at all.  The bike turns in nice and smooth and comes out the same way.  Oh yeah, I have about 1400 miles on them and they look almost brand new.  
I'm glad you like the Avons. I'm on my second set, and don't anticipate putting anything other than the Avon 45/46s on the bike. I too backed off from the "optimal" settings for a better commuting experience.

I'm suspension retarded......eeeerrrrr , mentally challenged ! Click this , mm that ....aaaahhhhh the madness !!!
BTW bro,
  I will get pics of those tires up later today.

Don
cool.gif
I hate to thread jack but I found a place that has the 46 for $127 !
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
...Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse

Mawonline.com

1-800-241-2222

The secret's out !!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

And for the more petite section of the populace-
biggrin.gif

I'm 5'8" and about 165 lbs. I left my rear preload and rebound/compression settings stock, left the front rebound/compression stock, and increased preload on the front springs by one ring on the adjuster. Again, stiffening the front preload consists of wrenching it DOWN to 4 from the stock setting of 5 rings showing. The manual says 6 is stiffer, but this is obviously WRONG in both the owner's manual and the service manual. If 0 is stiff, and 8 is soft, how in the hell can 6 be stiffer than 5?!?
rock.gif
Has no one ever said anything in the 7 years these manuals have been in print, or am I a moron? (Don't say it Pan!)
smile.gif

As for the ride, I am no expert by any means, if anyone in my size range cares to try the stiffer setting up front and report on handling change please do so. For me I started the ride with the front compression set to 7 clicks out (stock is nine) and it just felt too jittery laid over in a corner on anything but the smoothest of pavement. At the turnaround point as Don said I set it two more clicks softer, back to the stock setting and it felt much better planted in turns on the way back.

Time will tell .......  

<!--EDIT|Warputer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155491149 -->

Just my $0.02....Suspension settings are dynamic. Like tires (also part of the suspension), they require re-tuning when the weather/conditions change. Always record your changes or be ready to zero out and reset all over again.

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: "SP"|1155491058 -->

Again, stiffening the front preload consists of wrenching it DOWN to 4 from the stock setting of 5 rings showing. The manual says 6 is stiffer, but this is obviously WRONG in both the owner's manual and the service manual. If 0 is stiff, and 8 is soft, how in the hell can 6 be stiffer than 5?!?
rock.gif
Has no one ever said anything in the 7 years these manuals have been in print, or am I a moron?
bump.gif

Anyone wish to confirm/deny this in reference to the manual settings?

Again, stiffening the front preload consists of wrenching it DOWN to 4 from the stock setting of 5 rings showing. The manual says 6 is stiffer, but this is obviously WRONG in both the owner's manual and the service manual. If 0 is stiff, and 8 is soft, how in the hell can 6 be stiffer than 5?!?  
rock.gif
 Has no one ever said anything in the 7 years these manuals have been in print, or am I a moron?
bump.gif

I'll confirm'em for ya...as "6 lines showing" is definantly NOT stiffer than 5...the correct adjust/effect is in fact opposite of what the shop manual suggests.

hmmm..i believe in my "Jinkster Attacks Suspension" thread i even started out the technical stuff with a disclaimer of...

"ADJUSTING YOUR BUSA'S STOCK SUSPENSION FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE RIDING."

RULE #1: Forget everything the Service Manual or Owners Manual recomends as those settings and adjustments are extremely generic in nature and only meant as a starting point recomendation for riders of grossly varying and unknown weights...as in...ya might as well consult "The Guesser" at the county fair and in a word?..hooey...now here's how to do it the right way.

The manuals "WRONG".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

And lemme add once again the Bill's thread is VERY SIMILAR to what Race Tech did on my bike. and RACE TECH is in the business of suspension tuning for competition!!! 2 thumbs up to Jinks!!

rock.gif
bump.gif

I'll confirm'em for ya...as "6 lines showing" is definantly NOT stiffer than 5...the correct adjust/effect is in fact opposite of what the shop manual suggests.

hmmm..i believe in my "Jinkster Attacks Suspension" thread i even started out the technical stuff with a disclaimer of...

RULE #1: Forget everything the Service Manual or Owners Manual recomends as those settings and adjustments are extremely generic in nature and only meant as a starting point recomendation for riders of grossly varying and unknown weights...as in...ya might as well consult "The Guesser" at the county fair and in a word?..hooey...now here's how to do it the right way.

The manuals "WRONG".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
So, anyone in our world work for Suzuki and care to pass this along to the appropriate parties?

rock.gif
bump.gif

I'll confirm'em for ya...as "6 lines showing"  is definantly NOT stiffer than 5...the correct adjust/effect is in fact opposite of what the shop manual suggests.

The manuals "WRONG".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
So, anyone in our world work for Suzuki and care to pass this along to the appropriate parties?
Suzuki won't care.

The bike isn't a trackbike.  Its a good all around bike.  Tourers like the suspension soft so they have a comfy ride.  Trackday riders like it stiff so they don't bottom out their suspension. Drag riders like to lower the bike while trackday riders like raise the bike.

The stock suspension on stock settings is a general purpose setting.  Good at everything.  But not great at any one.

Also riders weights differ.  You have 100lbs women buying Busas and 300lbs guys.  Suzuki is only gonna put one type a spring in stock.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155514152 -->

Back