New Rider Upgrade Recommendations

Applesauce

Registered
Hey all! Long time motorcycle rider, first time Busa owner here. Just wanted to see what all advice or recommendations you all have for general upgrades/mods/things to look out for. Bike is a gen 2 from 2008, previous owner installed a new steering damper and power commander, no 2nd gear issues, new rear rotor, so that solves about 95% of the issues associated with that line (that I know of). And other than the exhaust, everything else is stock. Other than a few personal mods like LED headlights, sliders, and some tank grips, it seems like there's really nothing else but to enjoy the ride.
I'm not looking to stretch it and I'm waiting until my midlife crisis before I throw on the turbo, so other than those, are their any other upgrades you guys would recommend? Or even just some things to look out for?

Sprockets sized for the speed of your typical riding.

Shock and fork rebuild, sprung for your weight and riding conditions. The shock is sprung for a 230lb+ rider. (If you are closed to that you can set an appropriate amount of sag.) The fork is the opposite at far too mushy for the bike's weight.

ECU flash to modify some electronic features. The deceleration fuel cutoff is a major annoyance. It makes the engine excessively jerky at deceleration and sometimes cruising speed.

Bar risers and seat mods including shaving, all to get the arms more inline with the steering and make steering easier and the position more comfortable.

Seeing it's a 2008, there was an issue with the stator and there was a recall for that...you could see if it had that done.

Maybe look into a quick shifter, I have a Translogic, it is stellar and changes the whole experience of riding...

I have put on GSXR mirrors to get rid of the clunky looking stock ones...

However, enjoying the ride is the paramount thing about these bikes.

Sprockets sized for the speed of your typical riding.

Shock and fork rebuild, sprung for your weight and riding conditions. The shock is sprung for a 230lb+ rider. (If you are closed to that you can set an appropriate amount of sag.) The fork is the opposite at far too mushy for the bike's weight.

ECU flash to modify some electronic features. The deceleration fuel cutoff is a major annoyance. It makes the engine excessively jerky at deceleration and sometimes cruising speed.

Bar risers and seat mods including shaving, all to get the arms more inline with the steering and make steering easier and the position more comfortable.
I want to say the ECU was flashed when the power commander was installed, I haven't experienced any jerking or jumping outside of initially getting used to throttle & clutch sensitivity.

I am nowhere near 230 being a trim 170-ish, so new shocks might be on the list. The forks feel pretty stiff right now so I might just adjust those for now.

Definitely going to look into some bar risers though.

Seeing it's a 2008, there was an issue with the stator and there was a recall for that...you could see if it had that done.

Maybe look into a quick shifter, I have a Translogic, it is stellar and changes the whole experience of riding...

I have put on GSXR mirrors to get rid of the clunky looking stock ones...

However, enjoying the ride is the paramount thing about these bikes.
I didn't know about the stator recall! But it has been a slightly hard start sometimes in the mornings. I'm hoping it's just because it's getting a bit colder.
A quick shifter might be something further down the road, but I've always wanted one. And the busa would be THE BIKE to get it for.
A mirror upgrade is definitely needed, the stock ones are too hefty.

PAIR delete

<insert highly unpopular motorcyclist opinion here> Not a fan. Let the PAIR continue to ignite excess fuel rather than spewing the fuel into the environment. Yea it weighs a few pounds, que sera, sera.

But it has been a slightly hard start sometimes in the mornings.

Starting is all battery. Do you know the date of the battery?

You can have a rebuild of the shock and fork done by Daugherty Motorsports. Jamie's work is a great value above aftermarket hardware at about $750 for the entire job.

This^
Spend money on suspension.

And brakes
Ebc HH 'Extreme Pro' are cf embedded street pads that Will stop you sooner.
SS brake lines for better feel.
A radial master cylinder(several choices, and from other bikes).

90° degree valve stems
You'll thank yourself for them.
Check the psi before every ride.

you have a small grinder :thumbsup:

Wait, so people think the kickstand is too big? With my current one I have to hook my foot under and around the peg before I can catch it with my toe. If I had bigger feet I wouldn't be able to fit it at all.

Wait, so people think the kickstand is too big? With my current one I have to hook my foot under and around the peg before I can catch it with my toe. If I had bigger feet I wouldn't be able to fit it at all.

oh ya absolutely do the kick stand mod first thing! i didn't and had no problem for 3k miles. then one morning and doing nothing different i back the busa out of the garage put the kick stand down, walked 3 feet from it and it fell over! $1200 later in side paneling, and" i cant believe that happend !" stuck in my memory forever! i did my kickstand mod. Dont be Nieve like i was! now after you have done that imo weight saving will be on your list, exhaust, BST rims etc. For fun maybe one less tooth here or there on the sprockets. there a plenty of post about all of these welcome to the club and enjoy your baby however you chose to mod it. BUT PLEASE DO THE KICKSTAND MOD, NO EXCEPTIONS ! TRUST ME! ( caps are for emphasize not yelling)

Last edited:
Take a look at the post @DougE posted. The problem is it doesn't go far enough forward and it can roll off the kickstand pretty easy and if your one of the people that park your bike in neutral it's even worse. Mine happened when I was in the bike but was more of an issue with the uneven driveway I was on. Made it almost 4 years and 30k miles before I got a scratch on the bike and then I dropped it :banghead:

Take a look at the post @DougE posted. The problem is it doesn't go far enough forward and it can roll off the kickstand pretty easy and if your one of the people that park your bike in neutral it's even worse. Mine happened when I was in the bike but was more of an issue with the uneven driveway I was on. Made it almost 4 years and 30k miles before I got a scratch on the bike and then I dropped it :banghead:
Still can't believe more modern bikes don't come standard with locking kickstands...
Welcome and I agree with all of the above! Lithium batteries are something to look into for when you replace yours.

Hey all! Long time motorcycle rider, first time Busa owner here. Just wanted to see what all advice or recommendations you all have for general upgrades/mods/things to look out for. Bike is a gen 2 from 2008, previous owner installed a new steering damper and power commander, no 2nd gear issues, new rear rotor, so that solves about 95% of the issues associated with that line (that I know of). And other than the exhaust, everything else is stock. Other than a few personal mods like LED headlights, sliders, and some tank grips, it seems like there's really nothing else but to enjoy the ride.
I'm not looking to stretch it and I'm waiting until my midlife crisis before I throw on the turbo, so other than those, are their any other upgrades you guys would recommend? Or even just some things to look out for?
First thing I do is upgrade brake pads. EBC EPFA are the best. Massive stopping power. No use being able to go fast if you can't stop. That's the first thing I do on any bike.

Back