new rider. Help please

busa_wannabe

Registered
Hey everyone, Ive been reading posts on this forum and doing my research on the busa's. I dont quite think im ready for a busa yet. So I was wondering what a good sport bike to learn on was. I've been riding motocross for a little over 2 years. Any help and suggestions are welcomed and appriciated. Thank you!

Welcome to the board!

Any sportbike can be deadly. Any motorcycle can be as well. My advice is to take a MSF course and then go out and buy whatever floats your boat. Just respect the machine. The more powerful the bike, the more self-control and respect you'll need.

The current 600's are scary fast at higher revs, but not too bad if you keep the rpm's down. The liter bikes are get extra crazy at the higher revs. The Busa is scary all over
tounge.gif
A nice "tamer" sportbike to look at might be something like an older Honda Interceptor. The Buells are awesome too!

Buells are great for learning how to corner. They have LOTS of torque but not so much HP. If you want to learn how to wheelie and hit corners there ya go. The 600's are nimble as well with a reasonable amount of power to play with but not a whole lot of torque.
The Busa, well it'll hurt ya before you realize ya just screwed up. It will also bring a smile to your face that death itself couldn't remove
wink.gif

My reccomendation would be to look for a 2 or 3 year old bike that is not pristine but not beaten on. If it's too clean you'll spend more time making sure it stays that way and less time expanding your skills. You can expect to pick something up in the $3000 to $5000 range that will do what you need very nicely.
BUT before you get on ANYTHING gear up! We'll be here when you are ready for your Busa. You'll notice that very few Busa owners give up their scoots voluntarily.

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119536681 -->

LOL you are definately Busa size! Knifemaker is taller and heavier than you and he rode a buell for a few years. The 600 may be too small of a frame for you. The best thing you could do is go to a stealership and sit on every bike in the joint. this way you'll know what fits and what won't

Take the riders course as mentioned earlier.

There's a lot to look out for when your on the street instead of a closed course.

<!--EDIT|Churchkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119537325 -->

Welcome to the board. A Suzuki Bandit or Katana would be good choices, Honda F3 or F4 would also work. Almost any 500-750cc bike in the 3-5 year old range that isn't beat up would make an excellent choice. Ride it for a season or two and then upgrade
wink.gif

Thanks for all of the input. Im going to look over some facts on 600 - 750 and see what I would like more. Go check out a dealership, and post back with info on what I will be purchasing
smile.gif
. Thank you for all of your help again

how about a ducati 750 monster? I've got one for sale at the moment that will fit into the lower part of your price range..

I think it would make an excellent starter bike..

nice torque, decent horsepower.. cheaper on insurance that the japanese bikes because most younger kids don't have them.. it's pretty cool looking.. and hell.. it's a Ducati! lol Excellent handling, and other wordly braking.. will damn near literally stop on a dime and give you .8 cents back. It's light.. only 380 pnds, and comfortable enough for normal riding. Plus it sounds awesome.

now the downside..

valve adjustments every 6,000 miles that run about $300.... $400 if you need belts (12,000 miles, or every two years.

if your interested in hearing more check this page out
http://www.pureegoworld.com/ducati.htm

now don't misunderstand.. just because it's a 750 don't expect to be winning any races against gsxr600s... but it's pretty even with an SV650... only you aren't gonna pass 15 every time you hit the biker hangouts.

Your not gonna hurt it (probably) by dropping it in your driveway.. but if you do break something the parts are higher than jap peices... (IE gas tank.. $1,600) 'bout the worst thing you could do is the gas tank.. good news is it's pretty tough and can be repaired for about $250 if ya just ding it.

later, and good luck with whatever your getting into.

Duc_on_stand.jpg

Welcome aboard!
I used to own a 1998 Honda VFR 800. Really a nice bike to learn on.. It is a touring/sport bike..

you can get a nice one for around $4G's..

Good luck..

I am including a picture of my old bike to give you an idea how it looks like

VFR_FRONT_2.JPG

All of the above....however... I have to say with your experience so far and the MSC you would do fine with a Busa as long as you are aware and respectful of it's potential!!! It is not my first bike but I have to say it is the best and easiest bike I have ever ridden! Whatever you decide - best wishes!!! Have fun and be safe!!!

Reliable, good shape, cheap to maintain, and forgiving of your mistakes.....

Yes, an SV would be a good choice. ANY twin makes a great street bike. The power delivery is sooo smooth that you can be fast before you know it!

I still suggest a Buell.

If you have been racing motocross then you are probably pretty good on anything 2 wheels. Because you're big a Bandit 1200 or SV1000 are good bikes...just find one that's comfortable for you.

<!--EDIT|xyu
Reason for Edit: "it's not my fault i can't spell"|1119574256 -->

No need to take a hit trading or re-selling your "training wheels" when you figure out you're tired of it already. Get what you want right up front- it's all between your ears and in your right wrist. They are all fast enough to get you in trouble if ridden irresponsibly. MSF course is a good idea, but if you have been riding for two years the advanced course is probably for you. The beginners' course is basically geared for newbies who have never ridden before and are trying to get a motorcycle endorsement. The Busa is very fast, but it is also very smooth, comfortable and forgiving. Just a tad on the heavy side.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119576101 -->

I agree with Bronc3... I had a suz dr350s for a couple of years and borrowed a friends Katana for the summer over three years ago... Take a course(msf) sit on some bikes find one that is comfortable and go for it... Just be smart and safe!

I would advise starting with a USED 750 class, like a GSXR 750 and definately take a rider safety course.

Back