New Feature --- Groups

I don't see the problem here. I'm liking the idea of having groups and also being able to use the regular forums. This is something that can be used to create stronger friendships and not waste the PM space you have.

I'm just gonna say, this is a great idea and I support it Cap'n!:thumbsup:

I don't think we've seen any threads (ie Gun Stuff) moved out of the GD forum, have we? I think there's just been a lul....

I think the best advise for all concerned is to give it a bit of time, and see how it evolves...it could be a really good thing, and to judge it without giving it the chance might not be the best way to go. that said, I do understand the concern that Fallen brings up; its never a good idea for a community to set up the potential for segregated interest groups within its community, as it tends to lead to a fracturing of the original group...but who knows, I'm personally hoping that everyone continues the spirit on inclusiveness and we all continue to value and discuss our very diverse opinions! :)

As my final post,

I will call B.S. on this move. I think if Saiid had not spilled the beans we would not have ever known about this feature. As soon as I read Saiid's post checked a few members profiles and realized that the conversations that had been missing on the org had been moved to smaller groups of limited people. I noticed a few weeks ago that the gun talk stopped. and the religion and the extreme white-wing stuff disappeared and I was wondering where all that went - now I know.

I have never been a group person as I believe that one should be able to defend one's positions against all critism. Further, if you truely believe in your views of the world then you should welcome all thoughtful attacks against that point of view. Look at the groups that have been created (at least the ones that I can find) and they are about people surounding themselves with like minded people to limit discussion to agreeable points of view. While I can understand the motive, that to me is the very definition of weakness.

In a forum where all are allowed to express their point of view it creates great mistrust when you know that much of what is not said is being shared selectively in smaller clicks. I thought that was silly in High School and I certainly feel it's silly now as a grown man. On the other hand, this is Captain's site and he can do what he wants with it. My opinions, comments, mod write-ups and sponsor patronage are mine to control and I chose not to participate in Hayabusa.org under these new rules Captain has imposed on the org. Frankly, I think this has limited the audience of the org and will fracture it to a bunch of smaller forums that have little to do with the motorcycle. Further, the sponsers are here to see a site where people are encouraged to modify the Busa and buy the products to do that from them; so I'm missing the wisdom in this move from a business model.

So to my many good friends, it has been enjoyable but "alas this to must end." I will troll this site occasionally although it will be quite boring now that discussions are held in smaller groups of like minded people. I wish you all many happy and safe motorcycle adventures and hopefully the org. will survive this change and be a better place.

Peace.

Willie you make me laugh so hard some times.... You are always the victim in everything.... I have been working on the groups for at least 9 months..... The mods / admins can confirm this..... Blanca was just the first person to catch the change and ask about it... When I started working with Blanca yesterday he blurted out on the forum that the Groups were live long before I had a chance to create an introduction to the group. The Groups you see listed on the groups page is it sir, no more, no less... Nothing is hidden but dont get your feelings hurt if you cant get into a group, I wanted to leave some control to the members to be able and have private conversations... You can make an "I hate captain" group and allow whomever you chose or disallow whomever you choose. I think that most will agree that keeping the groups open is the way to go so I don't expect very many areas that are not open just because folks are so accommodating.

If you choose to be a victim and a conspiracy theorist then so be it, if you just want to leave the forum then leave but please spare me the drama that we are picking on you or trying to segregate the community. The gun threads all stopped because I think most people were just tired of seeing them, the same for the political threads... You seem to have this nagging belief that everyone is out to get you... I read your thread yesterday that you thought we were limiting your post size because your return key didn't work and now you think that we are hiding threads from you..... Get a grip Willie, this forum is made to keep people connected and posting.....

Cap

Uhmmmmm Captain.... sir..... I'm feeling a little short changed here :laugh:

7ee3fa00-c38d-4859-870e-5b376f3c1926_zps05ce0434.jpg

Hey Cap, can you make the group option available from the "what's new" screen? Currently you have to hit "forums" to get there. Just a thought. I use the "what's new" all the time.. :thumbsup:

A genuine couple of questions:

Are all groups PUBLIC? That is, are there any set to private where you have to be invited to join?

Are all groups visible? That is, even if you aren't in the group to post, you can see the discussion and read the discussion?

It's a slippery slope, and while I'm not totally a conspiracy theorist, I'm well aware of the 'underworld' of pretty much every decent sized message board. There most certainly is background conversations taking place with or without these 'groups'. I personally dont think the groups are a good idea, but I don't own/manage this board, so more power to you Cap! :laugh:

Guys, there have been private discussions since the chatroom has been introduced...

Back