Neutral Between 5th and 6th Gears

aldo

Registered
Ok I've owned the bike for about 2 weeks and while buzzing along the highway I shift from 5th to 6th and find myself in neutral, not a good sound when I kick it into gear at about 80 MPH. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Ok I've owned the bike for about 2 weeks and while buzzing along the highway I shift from 5th to 6th and find myself in neutral, not a good sound when I kick it into gear at about 80 MPH. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
It should go away......Be very deliberate when shifting. A few members had this happen. I did too...... It will fade and hopefully not happen again.

I've had this problem from time to time, somone called it "false nutral" if I remeber correctly. And I agree. The clickity clack grind pop into a gear sucks ... If anyone has some more feedback on this, I am interested as well, also wondering about the damage this may cause.
smile.gif

Also, to add to that, it seemed to happen to me around the same time as you now that I think about it, I haven't had it happen for a while, I'm at 4000 miles now at about 2 months.

The thing I still get is when digging in hard between first and second, not making it into second, and having to pump the clutch again to get it there. Scares the hell out of you when your engine unexpectedly read lines. It may just be I'm not fully engaging the clutch before changing gears .. I dunno. Any thoughts?

Also, to add to that, it seemed to happen to me around the same time as you now that I think about it, I haven't had it happen for a while, I'm at 4000 miles now at about 2 months.

The thing I still get is when digging in hard between first and second, not making it into second, and having to pump the clutch again to get it there. Scares the hell out of you when your engine unexpectedly read lines. It may just be I'm not fully engaging the clutch before changing gears .. I dunno. Any thoughts?
I really shouldn't be giving advice, but someone on this board told me to adjust the clutch lever and change the setting on the dial just above the lever for either a shorter or longer pull. I changed it to the lowest setting but its still too long for my little hands. I'm not the biggest or youngest guy on the block, I'll say this you need to be in pretty good shape to navigate this beast for longer, high speed runs, takes a bit out of me. 4,000 is pretty good miles for 2 mos. by the way

Hhhey!!! That's happen to me sometime too.

I'm always asking myself the same question when this happen.. What to do??

alternative #1: Stop completely the bike while holding the clutch then shift back to the first and start again

-or-

alternative #2: kick up the shifter and force the 6th gear in

what do you think is best??

Mine did the same when it was new, what worked for me:

Adjust the shift lever down a little & when on the highway keep shifting between 5th & 6th to bed the gears in.

I notice a distinct double "click" when going into 6th. It's starting to go away now (900mi.)but was real obvious for the first few hundred miles. Was kinda like a gear indicator, always knew when I was in 6th.
tounge.gif
The higher the tach the smoother the shift... she's just drawing me in  
cool.gif

laugh.gif

alternative #1: Stop completely the bike while holding the clutch then shift back to the first and start again

-or-

While the idea of pulling in the clutch and coming to a stop is probably good for the bike, I dont think its a good idea for the rider. I'd rather grind a few gears and be safe. Some guy said downshift, don't upshift when this happens.

Im no expert, but judging by some of the replies and my common sense it appears the problems will go away after a little foot grinding grinding and smoothing.

-or-

Alternative #3. It is not a false neutral, it is a missed shift. Do NOT force it up into 6th you will cause damage if you do this. It will downshift smoothly and easily back into 5th. Tap it down to get everything lined up then upshift again. It will happen less over time as you get used to the way it shifts.

Had the same thing a couple of times when I first got the bike, but that hasn't happend in some time now. I agree, down shift to 5th and then back up to 6th.

Try shifting without the clutch,I found the only time  you really need it is to start off and downshifting. Try it, shifts way smoother, even in town traffic. just twitch the throttle real slight and she'll slide right in, that's my experience anyways, you don't even need to get the revs up too high, prettymuch the same speed as you would use the clutch, just don't crank the throttle  like your speed shifting. It may take some practice but you'll be impressed.

oh and I've only missed the shift 3 times all when using the clutch, and only have 1500mi.
have you got the windscreen buzz yet? very annoying.

<!--EDIT|slpstream
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124820969 -->

I have over 8500 miles on mine and I have only had it happen less than a handfull of times.

You just need to shift each gear like you mean it. If You are lazy when shifting from 5th to 6th it will hit the false neutral

Had it happen to me once but I think it was due to a too gentle shift.

When I had my '02 busa, it did it for 2yrs/13k miles..Now with my '04 busa after 9k miles on it, it still does it if I shift to easy into 6th. I don't think this goes away from what I've been seeing. Just put a little extra on that shift & you shouldnt have any problems....

<!--EDIT|Busa204
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124825001 -->

I switched to clutchless upshifting about 1.5 years ago. It is so much more natural, and quick, and there is really no need to involve the clutch. An article in the MOTORCYCLIST influenced my decision. Takes I guess 0.2 - 0.3 sec.

Do it at any rpm, even at redline (as rare as I get there), even 1st to 2nd. Had very few false neutrials - only when I babied the gear lever, or was too in a rush to shift.

Pretty much preload the shift lever a bit, then at the same time drop the gas a little and push the lever, next moment release the lever, and back on the gas. That's it.

The only thing is to get a feel how much to close the throttle. Going 1st to 2nd, you probably have to close it like 30%. However, going 5 to 6th - only like 15%.

I think clutchless upshifting forces the rider to make shifts more deliberate, hence more reliable. Full synthetic oil makes it so perfect - just click, and done.

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

smile.gif

smile.gif

When my 04' had about 1000-1500 miles i was finding false neutrals in almost every gear. Not all the time, just randomly. As a matter of fact, my bike acted weird having vibrations come and go at different rpm's with the trans shifting harsh then smooth. Then i hit the 2500mile mark and it's been fine ever since(10,200miles) and just purrs. Of course the Motul 15w50 full syth helped alittle when i added it at 2800miles.

Back