Need tool help from the pros

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I buy craftsman tools...not the best but not the worst I guess. Anyhow, I need a new metric socket set, and was wondering if I should get the 6pt. or 12pt. set - Whats the real difference?

Also, got a new craftsman brakebleeder kit - about $50.00, seems good but havent used...any tips for using this device?

Anyone know where I can get a 24mm Hex to take off my front tire?

thanks in advance

Personally, I like the 6 pt sets. I have yet to round off a bolt head with a six-pointer.

Never seen the brakebleeder you're talking about.

I got my 24mm hex from the bike dealer but I probably overpaid for it.

Good luck!

--Wag--

yep unless you're working with 12pt hardware stick with the 6 pt sockets.

From many years turning wrenches on Volkswagens, I've come to realize that you need both. Sounds like a Christmas request to me!

I have plenty of tools, etc... however most of my sockes are Standard, and wanted to get a nice set of metric, just wasnt sure if I should drop $60.00 on 6 or 12 pt set. Just wanted a 3/8 or 1/2 set which ranged from 10mm to 24mm.

Thanks for the input
wink.gif

As an alternative to a 24mm hex tool, a simple substitute is to use a metric bolt with a 24mm head and two nuts tightly jammed together on the bolt. Use "high-strength" or "permanent" thread locking compound to keep the nuts secure. The bolts and nuts are available at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. for around $3 - $4. The bolt below came from Lowes--16mm thread/24mm head.

axle_tool1.jpg

axle_tool2.jpg

smile.gif

As an alternative to a 24mm hex tool, a simple substitute is to use a metric bolt with a 24mm head and two nuts tightly jammed together on the bolt. Use "high-strength" or "permanent" thread locking compound to keep the nuts secure. The bolts and nuts are available at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. for around $3 - $4. The bolt below came from Lowes--16mm thread/24mm head.

axle_tool1.jpg

axle_tool2.jpg

smile.gif
Thank you much...Great Tip...Just save me some coin!

my name is moondog, and I have a sickness. I can't pass by a tool without getting all giddy inside. The sight of a Snap-on truck sends me reeling....SO, that being said, you need both. I love Craftsman tools, and go straight for the Sears add in the paper...watch the sale table, you can get some terrific deals. I just make a point to add something every month. I got my large mm sockets at Sears, about $6-$8 each, but ya need them. this is how bad it is.....I would rather spend a few hours in the tool dept at Sears then go to the "gentlemans club" with the boys. At Sears, you can hold, touch, smell and fondle the tools for free!

my name is moondog, and I have a sickness. I can't pass by a tool without getting all giddy inside. The sight of a Snap-on truck sends me reeling....SO, that being said, you need both. I love Craftsman tools, and go straight for the Sears add in the paper...watch the sale table, you can get some terrific deals. I just make a point to add something every month. I got my large mm sockets at Sears, about $6-$8 each, but ya need them. this is how bad it is.....I would rather spend a few hours in the tool dept at Sears then go to the "gentlemans club" with the boys. At Sears, you can hold, touch, smell and fondle the tools for free!
Looks like another canidate for a 12 step program
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Spoken like a true Gentleman indeed...

Back