Craftsman Tool Quality?

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
In view of more than one stripped bolt (oil pan in particular) post, I'm getting a new 3/8 dr, inch pound torque wrench. I'm presuming I can multiply foot pounds by 12 to get inch pounds (16.5 ft lbs = 198 in lbs) so I'm thinking that a 20-250 in lbs wrench set on 198 (or 192 to be safe) will be more accurate than a 0-150 ft lbs wrench set on 16 1/2.
Are Sears tools still as good as they used to be? Can't do $300 on a pro grade Snap-On, Proto, SK, etc.. but $80 for what I'm hoping is still a very good quality tool will do quite nicely.
This is the wrench I'm looking to get.. Craftsman

Thanks.. Tom

Sears makes a fine torque wrench.. and that one should do you just fine..

A great investment for any tool box btw...
beerchug.gif

Definitely great tools, and a great bang for the buck, but always remember to back off your torque wrench after each time you use it, otherwise it'll get out of spec.

Just a heads up. Craftsman's wonderful warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches. I found that out a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the input everyone, it should serve my driveway mechanic needs well. Guess I'll be going to the Sears store this weekend.

Just a heads up. Craftsman's wonderful warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches. I found that out a couple weeks ago.
They will re-calibrate them for you though, or I should say they used to. I have a Craftsman torque wrench that has yet to fail me. It's predecessor lasted less than 3 months and was shot and when I took it back they said no more warranty sir. I had to "persuade" them to rethink this!
laugh.gif

Have all three. Always on sale. Get an inch pound also.

Remember to zero it out when finished using it.
thumb_up.gif

r8

my friends are all craftsmen fanatics, and one of them their shop burnt down and craftsmen replaced all his fire damaged tools no questions asked all 15 thousand dollars worth or them that alone makes me want to go through them when i replace all my tools cause half my stuffs missing and i just want one of the big steel bins full with LOCKS so my dumb friends cant borrow something without me knowing about it and not get it back easily

In view of more than one stripped bolt (oil pan in particular) post, I'm getting a new 3/8 dr, inch pound torque wrench. I'm presuming I can multiply foot pounds by 12 to get inch pounds (16.5 ft lbs = 198 in lbs) so I'm thinking that a 20-250 in lbs wrench set on 198 (or 192 to be safe) will be more accurate than a 0-150 ft lbs wrench set on 16 1/2.
Are Sears tools still as good as they used to be? Can't do $300 on a pro grade Snap-On, Proto, SK, etc.. but $80 for what I'm hoping is still a very good quality tool will do quite nicely.
This is the wrench I'm looking to get.. Craftsman

Thanks.. Tom
I sell Matco Tools which are good for a professional mechanic but Craftsman are just fine especially for the home mechanic.

Craftsman
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

The torque wrench in your link is in inch-lbs and only gets to 21ft-lbs.

You might want to get one that goes higher. I have a 10-75ft-lb and its good for almost everything. There are a couple 6 and 8 ft-lb bolts and the front sprocket is 120ft-lbs I think.

Or just get 2 torque wrenches.

Back