Need some help with a Gen 1 foot shift

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I decided to re-post here, since it's about problems. I was out riding and the bike was shifting like a champ. Then suddenly, the foot shift seemed to be stuck in a downwards position. I could move the shifter up and down with my hand, but I could not get it into first. I rode it home in third and started adjusting the shifter up and down, but it is still not moving any gears. The green light does not flash as it passes through every gear as it usually does, and I can't get it into neutral. It acts like it's changing gears, but it is not. It is stuck in whatever gear it was in when it broke. You can roll the bike about six inches in either direction before it stops, so it's definitely in gear. So, the bike won't start. Beyond the two rubber balls that have brass threaded connectors and the rod that adjusts up and down, I don't know any more about what is happening when the rod moves to shift. It's almost as if something broke and no longer moves when the rod pushes the lever. Can someone give some guidance. I can't even ride it to a dealer the way it is, since it won't start. Floyd

One of the shifter springs broke, it located under the shift shaft cover, below the front sprocket!

Also here is a thread on the same problem, just different gears! https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/169024-only-able-shift-1st-2nd-neutral-lots-play-2.html#post2987221

IMG_0194 (Small).JPG

IMG_0193 (Small).JPG

Back