Need help with this undertail

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
Guys - Need your help. Tell me how to wire the turn signals on this thing, please. I am posting several pictures. This first one is of the undertail itself. I also need to know if anyone knows what bulbs it takes. Appreciate any and all help!

DSC_8311.JPG

Looks like the brake lights are already wired into that white plug and you need to match power and ground for the turn signals.

I'd use tape and label the right and left.

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,22:28)
(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17:27) Looks like an 1157 push and turn (dual filament) just like stock
Will they be very bright?
What lens goes over them? Should be as bright as stock unless you upgrade to a brighter bulb.

(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17:29) Looks like the brake lights are already wired into that white plug and you need to match power and ground for the turn signals.

Does this thing have two sets of turn signals? One intermingled with the brak and the other stand alones that are further in the back?

(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17:30)
(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17:27) Looks like an 1157 push and turn (dual filament) just like stock
What lens goes over them? Should be as bright as stock unless you upgrade to a brighter bulb.
It has clear lenses for them.

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,22:31)
(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17
super.gif
) Looks like the brake lights are already wired into that white plug and you need to match power and ground for the turn signals.

Does this thing have two sets of turn signals? One intermingled with the brak and the other stand alones that are further in the back?
So I do not have that undertail, I am just trying to help you with the wiring.

Those bulbs the (1157's) will be running and brake no turn.

So my assumption from your pics is that the turns wire separately. one under the taillight and one farther up.

both will wire into the factory pugs giving you a total of 4 turns.

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,22:32)
(heavybusa @ Mar. 25 2007,17:30)
It has clear lenses for them.
That pic is a smoked lens, plenty bright for me.

Your first step is to wire the right and left turns together and then to the factory plug.

Then check all the connections and keep the brake/running (large white) plug together.

post-11-75892-DSC_8311.jpg

Thanks for your help heavy, I really appreciate it. I will pick up that bulb tomorrow. Does that bulb come in red by the way? Just thought of that since my lenses are clear.

The picture with the diagram is perfect!!! Thank you so much!!

Glad I could help, I'd still watch for some who actually has this to confirm. But I am solid in the wiring.

yes they come in red, and you can get the LED version which also glows read and may be brighter.

product.jpg

Any parts store and most walmarts will have them

1156_1157_red_dark.jpg

(Shanling @ Mar. 25 2007,22:47) The picture with the diagram is perfect!!! Thank you so much!!
In that diagram, you do not have to use all 4 turns.

That may be why they are clipped here. But the brighter the better
beerchug.gif

I didn't read all the way through this but I can tell you a few things.  The undertail you have is just like mine.  I was told to NOT use regular bulbs in the tail because the plastic bulb housing will melt.  You will need to use some type of LED bulb that will fit under the lens that came with the undertail.  The regular light that comes with the undertail is not very bright during the day.  You can purchase 48 LED bulbs now that will fit in there.  I still haven't done that, but I did replace my turn signal bulbs with a different model.  Now they are really bright.

I used some of these, which are very close to the size of the stock signal lens.

Found them at JP Cycles Click Here

I'm sure you can see a difference in the cheesy LED signals shown side by side with these:

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s110.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/thebbbrain/VCLP0044.flv"></embed>

The wiring is the same.  I kept the little ones up by the tail lights, but you really can't see them.  And with these signals, I didn't need the load equalizer or special flasher.

Eventually I plan to get the 48LED bulbs for the tailight/brake light, but at least right now you can see where I am thinking about going.

Sportbikeeffects.com, a Mototeck distributor carries the 48 LED lights, but they aren't cheap.

Click here to see them at Sportbikeeffects.com

Good luck.

(thebbbusa @ Mar. 26 2007,17:18) I didn't read all the way through this but I can tell you a few things.  The undertail you have is just like mine.  I was told to NOT use regular bulbs in the tail because the plastic bulb housing will melt.  You will need to use some type of LED bulb that will fit under the lens that came with the undertail.  The regular light that comes with the undertail is not very bright during the day.  You can purchase 48 LED bulbs now that will fit in there.  I still haven't done that, but I did replace my turn signal bulbs with a different model.  Now they are really bright.

I used some of these, which are very close to the size of the stock signal lens.

Found them at JP Cycles Click Here

I'm sure you can see a difference in the cheesy LED signals shown side by side with these:

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s110.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/thebbbrain/VCLP0044.flv"></embed>

The wiring is the same.  I kept the little ones up by the tail lights, but you really can't see them.  And with these signals, I didn't need the load equalizer or special flasher.

Eventually I plan to get the 48LED bulbs for the tailight/brake light, but at least right now you can see where I am thinking about going.

Sportbikeeffects.com, a Mototeck distributor carries the 48 LED lights, but they aren't cheap.

Click here to see them at Sportbikeeffects.com

Good luck.
Hey thanks for that post!!

I wired it all up this evening, turned the key and the running light and brake light are so much brighter then what I had before. Problem was that none of the turn signals worked. Checked fuses, wiring connections and to no avail. Nothing worked! Then I started pulling bulbs. Looks like all four of them are blown. This undertail came off of a bike that was wrecked and parted out. Is it possible that somehow in the wreck, all four bulbs got blown?

I wil pick up four more bulbs tomorrow and try that out tomorrow evening. Hope that fixes it!

Back