Need help with Computer

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
First off, if someone can help, I will send a donation to the org in their name.
I backed up pictures onto DVD's using roxio media creater and now can't get them back on the computer. Below is a post I put in there help forum.
Please help, I don't want to lose all the info and pics.

Few weeks ago I made a backup of important files that I did not want to lose using "copy files to disc".
I had a problem with my computer; used the manufacturers restore CD. Got everything running again, and loaded up my backup DVD, only to find out that it would not retrieve the files.
I spent hours trying to figure it out with no luck.
Went yesterday and bought a new computer thinking that the old one bit the dust, and still have no luck on the new one.
I really need to get these files back since they include pictures of our newborn baby that have not been converted to paper film yet.

I insert the first disc and it will start getting the files using retrieve, and then the DVD drive, just stops. I have tried it on 3 different DVD drives on 2 seperate computers with no luck.
Tried to copy and paste with no luck; even tried to copy the disc, and it freezes up at 23%

Please help, my wife and I do not want to lose these pics of our baby.
Thank you everyone for your help.

Some info, using Roxio 7.5, Window XP[/Quote]

if you backed up the pictures they should still be on the hard drive.

Do you copy and paste or move the files?

runeight...

(runeight @ Dec. 10 2006,11:38) if you backed up the pictures they should still be on the hard drive.

runeight...
I used roxio to copy all the files.
I am now using a new computer that I got yesterday since I thought it was a problem with the old one.
I can't try on the old one, because I ran the restore disc, which pretty much formats the drive and starts all over.
sad.gif

Hmmm...

Are you using the same version of Roxio to do the restore?

If you used roxio, there will be an option called "retreive". Use that. Then when it puts your stuff back on your computer it will be in a file called retrieve.

(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 10 2006,09:53)
(runeight @ Dec. 10 2006,11:38) if you backed up the pictures they should still be on the hard drive.

runeight...
I am now using a new computer that I got yesterday since I thought it was a problem with the old one.
I can't try on the old one, because I ran the restore disc, which pretty much formats the drive and starts all over.  
sad.gif
so the files are on a DVD or CD-ROM?

runeight...

Maybe the new computer doesn't support the type of file you saved them as? Right click on the files and click "open with" and try a different program. Hard for me to visualize without a screen shot of what it looks like.

(GSXTacy @ Dec. 10 2006,09:57) If you used roxio, there will be an option called "retreive". Use that. Then when it puts your stuff back on your computer it will be in a file called retrieve.
wink.gif

(GSXTacy @ Dec. 10 2006,11:57) If you used roxio, there will be an option called "retreive". Use that. Then when it puts your stuff back on your computer it will be in a file called retrieve.
I have tried to use retrieve and all it does is lock up and not respond.
DVD drive idles down, speeds back up, idles down again, and then stops completely.

(runeight @ Dec. 10 2006,11:57)
(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 10 2006,09:53)

runeight...
sad.gif
so the files are on a DVD or CD-ROM?

runeight...
All files on 2 DVD's.

(300Busa @ Dec. 10 2006,11:58) Maybe the new computer doesn't support the type of file you saved them as?  Right click on the files and click "open with" and try a different program.  Hard for me to visualize without a screen shot of what it looks like.
Tried on old computer which all the files were origianlly on, and now on the new.

Same brand computer, just a little upgraded.

(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 10 2006,12:00)
(300Busa @ Dec. 10 2006,11:58) Maybe the new computer doesn't support the type of file you saved them as?  Right click on the files and click "open with" and try a different program.  Hard for me to visualize without a screen shot of what it looks like.
Tried on old computer which all the files were origianlly on, and now on the new.

Same brand computer, just a little upgraded.
Need to add. I tried opening with other programs and such and exploring the disc, and all it does it lock the program up.

Nathan - if you can't get it figured out, I'd can to try to pull them off if you're willing to send me the DVD's...

--Omar

note to self: don't delete pics off flash card until they are developed.

I am not into this stuff much anymore so I hope this is not a stupid question.

Once burned to the DVD can you copy files off a DVD? I don't know that you can but I never use mine so not sure.

runeight...

You might want to go to the roxio site and update any drivers. I had to do that with my sony DVD burner.

(runeight @ Dec. 10 2006,12:02) I am not into this stuff much anymore so I hope this is not a stupid question.

Once burned to the DVD can you copy files off a DVD? I don't know that you can but I never use mine so not sure.

runeight...
Yes, you normally can, I got a few things off the dvd's but not all of it.
If I can get my pictures back, I will be a happy duck.
I can try to download all the bike video's again.

i have a copy of Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 i can loan to you if you want to download it on your computer and see if it will read your DVD then

(300Busa @ Dec. 10 2006,12:02) note to self:  don't delete pics off flash card until they are developed.
Good idea, but I thought I had them all backed up and would not have to worry.
laugh.gif

Back