Nebody rode the rocky mountain national park?

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I lived in Denver for 4 years and went camping up in the forest several times, but didn't have a bike then. Always thought how cool it would be to ride this area.
In the beginning stages of planning a trip for late July - early August.
Got on the park website and noted average temps.

Any tips on where not to go?
Is wildlife a major issue on bikes there?
Any other helpful info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I grew up in Golden, stone's throw from Coors....July-August is the time to go, even though you will have to put up with the daily 1-3 thunderstorm. If it were me, I would make Grand Lake your base and ride from there. Great camping spots and the town is fun. From there, you can do the Trail Ridge road to Estes park run, always a great ride. Also, you could head straight west through Kremmling and end up in Steamboat Springs. I always liked Grand county better than Summit (I-70 corridor) Summit is just too glitzy and expensive, Vail and all....get ready for a major change in performance, a bunch of us went to Cyclefest in Copper last year, about 9500'. My sea level busa was not happy. Ran like crap. After about 30 minutes, the ecm was able to correct things as far as it could, and it would at least idle. I just could not believe the power difference. If I lived at that altitude, I would have to have a turbo busa. Coming from Houston you'll know what I mean. However, Vail pass at 150+ was a gas! The air was so thin a guy almost didn't have to tuck, at least not tight. No issues with the wildlife (4 legged type) as long as you practice common sense, no food left out, etc. There was, however, a huge problem with the two legged types....always trying to mount the busa...at times had to beat them off with a stick. Especially around Vail and Copper Mountain. Pesky things, they are! Another thing, going later in the summer assures the gravel and sand from the winter will be cleaned off the roads. Have a great trip!

Oh, ya...one more thing. It was way colder then I remember it being. Although there was a cold front coming through when we were at cyclefest, daily temps are still going to be about 35 to 40 degrees colder then you're use to. Not unsual for nights to dip into the 40's at altitude. Add a little rain and wow..you're suddenly trying to find a hot tub. On the rides, I wore my winter jacket and pants. It would be great to take a convertible jacket and a rain suit.

Thanks for the info Moondog!
Was hoping the bikes wouldn't run like crap.

I need to get a good map of the park and refresh my memory as to where everything is. We won't be camping, but a nice comfy hotel room will just have to do. Maybe the Stanley?

Trying to get 4 or 5 players lined up for the trip. I have 3 so far.

I was riding there two week ago.... Awesome...
Busa ride just fine at 2 miles above sea level.

It was 100F in Denver and only 65 there.

Back