Nashville Speedway Drag (Delc Performance Sponser'd')

RedFalco

Donating Member
Registered
Went up to the Drag scene last night to spectate as I'm considering in par-taking in the activities one day very soon. They had two busa's' there basically mopping up the clock. Believe it was a 1/8 mile run. The sponsered event is just starting to get up and running as this is a fairly new event at the Speedway. An 08 orange and black busa equip'd' with nitrous was leading all classes (execpt PRO dragsters) with the best time of 6.019secs. Did'nt catch the the speed as I was paying particular attention to the staging lights and launch light trying to figure that all out. Next time out I'll take my camera and snap off a couple pics. Anyone in the area interested in going out in a couple weeks give me a holla, the wifey isn't as impressed as I was, so I suspect I'll be going solo from here on out...lol They have all classes from, ATV, street cars to bikes. I suspect I'll be out there as often as I can to spectate the scene taking it all in.
Question for you drag buffs. I noticed the staging blocks on the ground whereby the first yellow staging light comes on followed by the second per both sensors on the block. What determines a "false start" condition? i.e... Red light false start. Is there another sensor further up the staging block sensors? Or does it trigger if and when you leave the staging block sensors before the green. I've read the "So you wanna learn to Drag" post and was keeping all that valuable insight from that post in mind when observing last nights activities. For the life of me I could'nt determine what triggered the Red false start light. Allot of racers where launching a milisecond after the 3 yellow launch light illuminated as describe in said thread. Looking further up where the actual starting line was marked off from the staging blocks, I did not notice sensors that would trigger the red light condition. Any insight?
Thanks much. And I can see how such a drag bug can get under ones skin.

Last edited:
Two light beams 6 inches apart. Break the first beam and the top set of yellow lights comes on (Pre-stage) Roll 6 inches forward and break the second beam and the Stage lights come on (second set of yellows) Once both lanes are Staged, the tree can drop at any time. If you roll out of the first beam but bot the second, the pre-stage lights will go out (deep staging) if you roll out of the second beam before the tree has dropped it is a false start (foul) indicated by a red light. Time doesn't start until you break the second beam, regardless of the tree, but the first one to the finish wins. Thus a slower time can win a race (holeshot win). Trick is to break the second beam as soon as you can after the light goes green (reaction time) but not before. There are a ton of techniques, but those are the basics. Hope it casts a little light on it for ya.

Last edited:
I would add there is one other "possible" to the redlight.. not all competitions allow "deep staging" (Deep staging is as posted above, rolling in till the pre-stage light goes off)

Deep staging improves reaction times but hurts ET..

If the blue light is lit on the tree, deep staging will net you a nice redlight..

here is a thread I did that might help you a little.. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/1-4-mile/109130-first-time-motorcycle-drag-racer-long-read.html
Tracks I have been to use the blue light to signal the track is clear and ready for burnout/roll up or whatever. Is this not the case most places? I stage as shallow as possible, but that's just what I'm comfortable with.....

I have seen the light used to indicate clear track, elimination round, or not at all but pretty sure the original intent was to indicate no deep staging.. I have also seen tracks that could not set the tree to flashing to indicate closed track or crash :)

Suppose it best that it best to ask .. I too preferred a shallow stage and I left as the second yellow was just starting to go out.. I actually preferred the .400 pro tree but heads up racing is a completely different animal.. ET (bracket) racing to me is a lot harder on the driver IMO.. Hats off to guys like the Emmons brothers... rock solid all the time..

Beware!! Thats a gateway drug-soon you'll be smoking even the cheap tires(shinko-usofts) You'll also find yourself willing to travel great distances to get your fix when it raining at your home track. Then comes all the paraphinalia-extened swingarms, shifters,NOS,race gas,large quanities of rubber hanging from your undertail & license plate- try explaining that to your friends when they ask,and they will, its hard to hide the track marks. Sure, it'll start slow with just an 1/8th every Sat., then you'll want more-another 1/8th on Wed.nite test and tune, next thing you know, you'll be doin' a 1/4 on Sundays because you couldn't get enough from 1/8th on Sat.nite. Oh, and then about the end of Oct., all the places you were getting your fix at will quit answering the phone and leave you hangin' for the long cold winter. The withdrawls are something terrible.
REMEMBER- you've been warned:rulez:

:rofl::rofl::laugh::cheerleader: BTW, you only live once.... give it a try asap:thumbsup:

I prefer a pro tree also, less time to sit and think about things.... I hate bracket racing. Heads up, run what you brung, hope you brung enough! Consistency is the key to bracket racing, but electronics have taken a lot of the skill out of it, plus I never liked slower cars/bikes being rewarded for being slow..........

Last edited:
I prefer a pro tree also, less time to sit and think about things.... I hate bracket racing, heads up, run what you brung, hope you brung enough!
yea, handing over a 3 or 4 second head start is tough.. I lost my first points race final to a guy named Dave Workman at Phoenix.. I was green and did not know him from anyone.. (He was actually a multi event track champion and had me from the burn out)

He blew a head gasket in the semi and dialed his Maverick at like a 16.XX against my 12.30 (Olds 442).. We were running Stock eliminator and met in the finals after I think it was like 7 rounds..

I watched him drive away and ended up red lighting.. Had I known who and what he was? I would have lost worse.. he was a machine on the lights and a lot of guys R/L against him

:laugh: Heads up got rid of that anxiety..

Last edited:
The guy you prolly saw on the 08 orange & black is flashracer
on here. I talked to him last year at nashville. He's a good guy
and a great rider!

Two light beams 6 inches apart. Break the first beam and the top set of yellow lights comes on (Pre-stage) Roll 6 inches forward and break the second beam and the Stage lights come on (second set of yellows) Once both lanes are Staged, the tree can drop at any time. If you roll out of the first beam but bot the second, the pre-stage lights will go out (deep staging) if you roll out of the second beam before the tree has dropped it is a false start (foul) indicated by a red light. Time doesn't start until you break the second beam, regardless of the tree, but the first one to the finish wins. Thus a slower time can win a race (holeshot win). Trick is to break the second beam as soon as you can after the light goes green (reaction time) but not before. There are a ton of techniques, but those are the basics. Hope it casts a little light on it for ya.

WoW... Crystal clear, thank you soo much for clearing the air. And to think I was always looking at the times to determine who won. I was just to fix'ated on the tree and watching how the riders reacted to the lights. We could'nt see no more than 25foot from the staging area as we were right next to the fence.

I would add there is one other "possible" to the redlight.. not all competitions allow "deep staging" (Deep staging is as posted above, rolling in till the pre-stage light goes off)

Deep staging improves reaction times but hurts ET..

If the blue light is lit on the tree, deep staging will net you a nice redlight..

here is a thread I did that might help you a little.. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/1-4-mile/109130-first-time-motorcycle-drag-racer-long-read.html

Yes Sir. This is the thread I meant to refer to. I musta read it about 50 times or so. I refered allot of the events in my head that took place last night to your thread. Very accurate and insightful read, only thing missing is the actual hands on experience. Although I could almost smell and feel the surroundings by that read. Thank you for posting that, it definately got the bug started in me.

Beware!! Thats a gateway drug-soon you'll be smoking even the cheap tires(shinko-usofts) You'll also find yourself willing to travel great distances to get your fix when it raining at your home track. Then comes all the paraphinalia-extened swingarms, shifters,NOS,race gas,large quanities of rubber hanging from your undertail & license plate- try explaining that to your friends when they ask,and they will, its hard to hide the track marks. Sure, it'll start slow with just an 1/8th every Sat., then you'll want more-another 1/8th on Wed.nite test and tune, next thing you know, you'll be doin' a 1/4 on Sundays because you couldn't get enough from 1/8th on Sat.nite. Oh, and then about the end of Oct., all the places you were getting your fix at will quit answering the phone and leave you hangin' for the long cold winter. The withdrawls are something terrible.

:rofl::rofl::laugh::cheerleader: BTW, you only live once.... give it a try asap:thumbsup:

:laugh: My better half is already asking how many sets of tires I need to start off with.. I'm already searching for a extended swingarm (4"). I do believe there is a 1/4 mile track around these parts somewhere. Allot more popular as its been around a whole lot longer. Think they call it "The Hill".
I'm just about ready, gotta drop a few pounds and gonna just scout the scenes a few more times before I make the official leap.

The guy you prolly saw on the 08 orange & black is flashracer
on here. I talked to him last year at nashville. He's a good guy
and a great rider!

Maybe.. Carries a bottle on the swingarm, shiftlight above dash, shiftkit and stretched about 4 inches.. Did'nt actually talk to him as he was already conversing with a few people. Talked to his buddy whom was with him after the races. I'm sure I'll run into him again. What part of TN you from, think we may have enough TN folk to get alittle ride together one weekend.
:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the most valuable replies and insight. Already can see that I'll have to brush up and learn a whole new lingo as far as drag scene terminology.. Good stuff!!
lol.

Last edited:
My better half is already asking how many sets of tires I need to start off with.. I'm already searching for a extended swingarm (4").
...and to think you said you were done modding the red meanie... :whistle::laugh:

But look on the bright side; I doubt there's as much need for a GPS on a drag strip. :poke:

D

lmao:laugh: isnt that the darn truth!!!!!!

worse thing that could happen to any new racer...

win a couple rounds... worse yet.. win... OMG... honey hide the kids, mortgage and checkbook...

...and to think you said you were done modding the red meanie... :whistle::laugh:

But look on the bright side; I doubt there's as much need for a GPS on a drag strip. :poke:

D
LMAO
I put a 4500 dollar turbo kit tag in her ear, so a 800 dollar swingarm will make it all that much more do able. May even be able to sneek a GPS in there..
:laugh:

I'm thinking she is getting tired of hearing the same ol song and dance.... "Okay honey, this time is for real, this is it... I'm totally serious, I'm finished...no more".
I haven't pulled out the "I promise" card yet..lol.. Saving that for the turbo kit...
:rofl:

worse thing that could happen to any new racer... win a couple rounds... worse yet.. win... OMG... honey hide the kids, mortgage and checkbook...

:rofl:my @rss off... I can totally see that.

Im from north west TN, about 2 hrs from nashville...and busa-less
at the moment. Lol

Cool deal.. No problem on being busa-less at the moment. BigD rolls without his hump (still in the unopened box I'm sure). He's got plenty of room on his back seat...:whistle:
:laugh:

Last edited:
Back