My wife didn't need to hear this as well...

As many of you may know Jimmy ("Diesel") and I trailored our bikes up together from Tampa.  We've been riding together when time permitted for almost the past two years.  After telling my wife about the accident you can imagine she was upset, but not frantic...not only for Jimmy and his family, but also because she feels it could have happened to me.  

We had a long talk about it and we both expressed our concerns and in the end I told her I was not giving up the bike but that I will be more cautious about who I ride with in any group capacity and stress safety before any ride regardless of how elementry it may seem to others and if I'm not comfortable I will ride solo.  I've actually considered selling the Busa and getting more of a track bike (750-1000) which would allow me to go faster in a controlled environment instead of finding abandoned housing developments occassionally patrolled by LEO.

WHAT THE WIFE DIDN'T NEED TO HEAR:
Well as we are in the driveway yesterday evening a neighbor who I introduced to Jimmy while loading up our bikes last week for the Bash saw Jimmy's totalled bike on the trailor in my garage and I subsequently told him what happened.  Of course my wife was hearing the story AGAIN!

Then another neighbor, who's husband and herself ride motorcycles together, was walking her dog, hears this and then goes on to tell us her husband's sister was killed in the Carolinas last weekend while riding pillion on a motorcycle involving a truck and he has decided to get rid of both their motorcycles.  As I'm hearing this I'm looking right at my wife knowing what she is thinking.

I tried to defend myself indirectly by stating that the motorcycle season is just beginning for a lot of riders up north (FL is year round riding) and that riding safely is about ALWAYS anticipating a worst case scenario happening around you and having the coordination, skill and quick judgement to put yourself in a situation to avoid these possibilities.  Aniticpating THAT car will pull out in front of you, or THAT driver doesn't see you or THAT vehicle could be in your lane around that blind corner, etc.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old (26 years) and although I understand you can only anticipate so much I do believe that some people just shouldn't be on motorcycles.  Prior to the Bash I rode with two such individuals I thought should not be on the motorcycles they were riding...one ended up dead (CBR-1000, 44 years old) and another went off the road twice, crashing once, during our last ride (GSXR-1000, ~30 years old) but he did ride home.

The whole incident has really made me look at not soo much HOW I ride, because I'm a firm believer in my knowledge and ability, but who I ride with and to stress safety talks prior to any ride.  If some jack-ass starts giving me sh!t about it, like "Yeah, yeah, I know", then he'll get some sh!t of his own and/or I'll head out and ride solo.
I've been through the same thing. My only suggestion it to do what your heart tells you to do, not what you feel influenced by others to do.

If you weren't here at the time, here is my story.

The crash
The bad news
The last
Kevin

It's tough when crashes hit close to home. I can't blame your wife. I waited until I got home until I told mine. She hasn't seen the pics yet..

Maybe let it rest and bring it up later. People get killed in cars, motorcycles, trains and planes. Someone crashing on a bike makes better news than a car crash.

Take your time and let her digest what she's heard.
Good advice.

After I wrecked my 04 Busa the wife said "If you get another sportbike I'm leaving!" We're not together anymore so I'm pursuing sportbikes again.

Don't take this as marital advise. We split because she didn't want to be with me for any other reason than financial support for her and her boys.

I with you bud, every time I ride with some one new I do a pre ride breif to make sure we are all on the same page. At least I go over the hand signals, I will always wait if seperated, don't run red lights, if something happens stop at first gas station speech. No one has ever given me crap about it. I soon as I find out I am riding with people driving beyond there skill, I will ask if we "can slow it down I aint feeling it" if they do great if not I run off solo. My wife has a problem with bikes as well but it is because she was never around them. Stay srong man.

hehe...you're always welcome out with us Kieth...
you know I am the youngest by 10 years and our usual group consists of people from 50~73.

Our pace has slowed considerably since Brian's mishap last year and then Norm got clipped by another bike a month ago.

Only on the most desolate roads in the middle of nowhere do we "stretch our legs" a bit, far from most anything else.

beerchug.gif

After my wreck in '05 and the 3 subsequent hospital stays and operations, I sold my busa. Barely a month after the 3rd operation in late 2005, I purchased a shiny new '06 model and slowly resumed riding. My poor spouse put it simply by suggesting that I "finish the job" if I should wreck again.
wowold.gif

All I can say is that group rides cause some of us to be too ambitious (me included). I have learned that by far my best rides are when I'm totally alone and under no other timetable or pressure other than my own. Getting a helicopter ride from the Dragon to UT Hospital is not a fun ride. Just my $.02.
peace.gif

Back