My turn (Sorry it's so long)

Mikey D

Registered
As most of you know I teach Auto shop & Electronics.  I sponsor the "High Performance Club" for my kids and we hold 2 car shows a year.  Several months ago I was aproached by another instructor and his partner who sponsor a club directly related to their curriculum (no names).  Seems that a local car club (Desert Kustom Car Club) puts on a benefit car show for a local high school, outgrew their original school, and wanted us to sponsor them.  We would make about $6000.00!  

(No small change for a couple of High School clubs.  As a matter of fact 1/2 of that (my club's share) would double the Industrial Tech Department's yearly budget!)

Our part for this event was to hold the BBQ.  We (The High Performance Club - HPC) were to arive at the shool at 7AM and set up behind the concession building.  I was told last minute to have coffee and doughnuts, and my popo buddie would supply security.

Whe I arrived at 7 this morning I was met with several situations.
- Several of the other club's members and parents had not shown up to help.
- The electric golf cart we were to use was not left where it was supposed to be
- The Primary individual in charge (the other instructor) was not there.
- The instructor's partner had locked his keys in his room and we could not open the concession stand or the bathrooms.
- The car club had been waiting since 6:30 in the morning, and had many, many elderly folks who needed the bathroom facilities.
- There was no easel (as had been promised) on which to write the raffel #'s.
- The T-shirts (which had been promised - WHBP) were not there.
- The advertising road signs (WHBP) were not up (or even made!)
- The tables (WHBP) were not set up.

And another 5-6 items which are current slipping my mind.

It took me until 8:15 to find someone with a master key to open up the other instructors room and get the bathrooms open.

I spoke with several of the club members and they were all very dissapointed with the way they were treated.

The consensus was to find another place to hold the show next year.  I spoke with the president (Ed) and expressed my apologies as to the way they were treated, and the lack of professionalism.  I expressed my desire to have them return next year and promised that if I was involved in the planning, things would roll smoothly.  Ed finally (after expressing a LIST of grievences starting with the initial planning sessions with the other instructor!) told me to call him at the end of the school year and we would talk.

My displeasure at the situation is; my school's reputation looks like sh!t now because of the lack of planning on these other two yahoo's parts!

I HATE DEPENDING ON OTHER PEOPLE! 

On the bright side, the BBQ went off without a hitch.
smile.gif

Thanks for letting me rant folks.

Yes that is what happens when you have to depending on others smetimes. We have all been there. That is why I never break my word, just like you won't.

I hope you get the chance to redeem the school's reputation. Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned.

That really sucks. I hate it when people say say they'll do something and then they don't stick with it.

I totally understand this situation. I was in a similar predicament. I am the former Facilitator for our BST (Behavioral Science Technology) team, and had been for 3 years since it's inception. I worked with a steering committee of 9 other hourly employees who's job was to focus on the behavioral process and work on assignments given to them. As it turned out, many of the members never really participated and didn't do anything unless an authority figure was evaluating the process. I wound up taking on a lot of the projects necessary to keep the process moving forward on my own time. I was even taking some of the work home and working on it on several occassions. Well, for about 1 and a half years the process started to falter and was not very active. I was approached by my Plant manager on a few occassions to discuss the Steering committee's progress. Without pointing fingers, I would just simply state that I felt my time as Facilitator was past due. After spending well over $100,000 for the process, pressure was being put on my Plant manager to get results. Well, he found a way to get results. He basically put the blame for the team's inactivity on me. And what was more aggrivating was the fact that my team members 'stabbed me in the back' behind this whole ordeal. No one said a word while I was doing all of the legwork to keep the process going, but when the upper echelon of management got involved, no one wanted to fess up to their inadequacies. I am no longer involved with the process because I voluntarily stepped down and told everyone how I felt about the process and the team as a whole. Sorry I went on my rant, but I guess I said all that to say..."I feel ya!"

Brian

I totally understand this situation.  ...
...  Sorry I went on my rant, but I guess I said all that to say..."I feel ya!"

Brian
Rant on Brian!

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to say to the guy who was supposed to be there yesterday.

I am an up front kind of guy and always call it like I see it. Unfortunately I'm not well endowed with tact.

Today I addressed this with th mising nstructor. Of course he had excuses for everything.

"They said they woul like me there, they didn't say It was mandatory."

What BS!!!

Sorry about all the hassle Mikey...it's true, you can really only depend on yourself at times; just too bad you don't have 3 or 4 of you to help out...

I hope you get a second chance next year...sounds good for the school if you can pull it off...

Sorry about all the hassle Mikey...it's true, you can really only depend on yourself at times; just too bad you don't have 3 or 4 of you to help out...

I hope you get a second chance next year...sounds good for the school if you can pull it off...
Thanks for the positive words VA!

My kids showed up and helped out just fine. It's the adults that were running the other part of the program that sucked giant dog biscuits!
guns.gif
umnik.gif

Of course the other instructors are playing it just hunky dory, nothing happend.
face7.gif

Ah well, we'll get to see how good my powers of persuasion are.
super.gif

Back