My new Scala Rider Q2

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
ok, so the Brown truck guy dropped off my new Scala Rider Q2 headset today. I immediately ripped it out of the box and plugged it in to charge (i have to play with everything as soon as it shows up)

After allowing it to fully charge, I went ahead and mounted the unit to the helmet (shown in the pic below). Very easy mount, had to pry the padding back a little on the helmet, but it slipped in and tightened down secure with the provided allen bolts. Pulled it off for a second to check and make sure it didnt leave any marks on my lid, and it DID NOT! so there's a plus...

CELL PHONE MODE
I'm still waiting on my bluetooth adapter for my sirius sat radio to see if it ill pair with that, so I went ahead and attempted to pair the SCALA headset with my bluetooth cell phone. Very simple!! Put the SCALA headset in pairing mode as per the instructions and phone found it and connected on first try. Took about 15 seconds.

Now, on a more negative note...the audio output on the headset is not as loud as i was expecting. Now, i will admit, I do have D&D slip ons on my bike so if anyone should need a overly loud speaker output, it would be me. Standing by the bike at idle, i would say you could hear the person on the phone about 75-80%. Out on the road, anytime I would roll thru the gears and get about say 5,000rpm, i was not able to hear anything of what the person on the other line was saying. I just made a few laps around the neighborhood only gettin as high as 3rd gear, so i will test more this afternoon out on the interstate wide open (legally of course
cool.gif
)

Disappointing to me is the fact that when you are using the PHONE feature of the SCALA, audio only comes out of ONE SPEAKER. Now I do not have another SCALA headset and am not sure if the audio will come out of both on Rider-to-Passenger COM's or Rider-to-Rider COM's. Will have to wait and see....

FM MODE
Ok, the little town i love in doesnt offer a whole lot of FM stations, most of which are some small time country stations and some bleed over stations from the Dallas/FW area. I tried scanning thru some of the FM stations, picked up a few of the country, but one this is, you have no idea what FREQUENCY (channel) you are on. You could be in the 88.7 range and thing u are up past the 101.1 range and have no idea. I know some XM/Sirius radio's in vehicles work if you tune to a low frequency FM station, so i will try turning on the SAT radio in the driveway later and see if the SCALA can find it with its FM scanning feature...

Will have more of a review later this weekend and monday when my Bluetooth adapter for the SIRIUS STILETTO 2 sat radio comes in and I can get everyhting wired to the bike. Overall so far, if the speakers had a bit more audio output I would be more pleased, but as of right now I give it a 6 out of 10. Might be higher later depending on the audio output with the SAT radio (one of the main reasons I got the SCALA in the first place)...

STAY TUNED.....

DSCN0989.JPG

Isn't that setup for a open face helmet. Looks like it with that boom mike on the outside.Most full face setups I've seen have a velcro mike to go inside the chin on the full face helmet..Looks like a sweet set-up though.Keep us posted.

hey J, the mic will contort to go inside the helmet. It actually rests comfortably between my chin and the inside front of the lid. And as far as my girl hearing me talk while i rode, she heard me perfectly clear with no problems. Puttin all the gear ono now, bout to go run the bike a while and see what it's like on the highway...

side note, you wouldn't happen to be comin down towards lake palestine this weekend huh?? supposed to be great weather all weekend, i'll be on the bike sat n sunday

Fraid not Jerry. I got too much to do this weekend.But I'm lookin' at either next weekend or the next after if the weather is good.Gonna spend Fri-Mon down there.I'll let you know for sure next week sometime.- Joel
beerchug.gif

update...

FM Mode
Ok, so i get her out and ride for a little while.. Few good roads around here, but a little heavy on the traffic out there today. the FM stations and audio seem to come thru alot better than the Bluetooth thru the cell phone. Even at 105-110mph i could still hear some songs fairly well.

Anxious to get the Jabra bluetooth adapter in and try it with the Sirius sat radio.

Anyone know if Cardo makes any type of audio booster? i could see where an audio booster would be handy in a wired system, just not sure about the bluetooth though

more to come later...

I have to talk my old lady into letting me get these for our long trips. I feel better if I can warn her about something while we are riding.

I didn't like the first scala, and then I was gonna buy the blue ant, but now I want this because the rider to rider is so much longer now.

update...

FM Mode
Ok, so i get her out and ride for a little while.. Few good roads around here, but a little heavy on the traffic out there today.  the FM stations and audio seem to come thru alot better than the Bluetooth thru the cell phone.  Even at 105-110mph i could still hear some songs fairly well.  

Anxious to get the Jabra bluetooth adapter in and try it with the Sirius sat radio.

Anyone know if Cardo makes any type of audio booster?  i could see where an audio booster would be handy in a wired system, just not sure about the bluetooth though

more to come later...
Do the speakers for the helmet actually plug into the unit? aka are they just a normal headphone jack type of connection? If they are than an amp would be cake.. If not, might be able to splice it in between the unit and the helmet speakers and add a small amp.

I will have to figure something out for sure because of the exhaust I will have...
whistling.gif

Also thanks for the review and all the info.. I do plan on getting one next weekend (Tax deposit the 15TH)no matter what. Like you, I have the sirius on the bike and would love to be wireless to my bike when I ride..

Now, on a more negative note...the audio output on the headset is not as loud as i was expecting. Now, i will admit, I do have D&D slip ons on my bike so if anyone should need a overly loud speaker output, it would be me. Standing by the bike at idle, i would say you could hear the person on the phone about 75-80%. Out on the road, anytime I would roll thru the gears and get about say 5,000rpm, i was not able to hear anything of what the person on the other line was saying. I just made a few laps around the neighborhood only gettin as high as 3rd gear, so i will test more this afternoon out on the interstate wide open
I had to move the speaker around until it was lined up with the opening of my ear and it was plenty load then.Had to turn the volume down.
I have had some experience with in helmet communications at work and the speaker placement is critical.
I had to add some foam to move the speaker closer to my ear, only a small amount, it made all the difference in hearing at interstate speed.

Now, on a more negative note...the audio output on the headset is not as loud as i was expecting. Now, i will admit, I do have D&D slip ons on my bike so if anyone should need a overly loud speaker output, it would be me. Standing by the bike at idle, i would say you could hear the person on the phone about 75-80%. Out on the road, anytime I would roll thru the gears and get about say 5,000rpm, i was not able to hear anything of what the person on the other line was saying. I just made a few laps around the neighborhood only gettin as high as 3rd gear, so i will test more this afternoon out on the interstate wide open
I had to move the speaker around until it was lined up with the opening of my ear and it was plenty load then.Had to turn the volume down.
I have had some experience with in helmet communications at work and the speaker placement is critical.
I had to add some foam to move the speaker closer to my ear, only a small amount, it made all the difference in hearing at interstate speed.
what comm system are you running on your "non" work bike?

I am really hung up on what to buy... I want what works but I also would like to have some level of compatibility with what others are running for bike to bike..

Now, on a more negative note...the audio output on the headset is not as loud as i was expecting.  Now, i will admit, I do have D&D slip ons on my bike so if anyone should need a overly loud speaker output, it would be me.  Standing by the bike at idle, i would say you could hear the person on the phone about 75-80%.  Out on the road, anytime I would roll thru the gears and get about say 5,000rpm, i was not able to hear anything of what the person on the other line was saying.  I just made a few laps around the neighborhood only gettin as high as 3rd gear, so i will test more this afternoon out on the interstate wide open
You make a good point Busa. Will definately give this a try this weekend. My helmet is so snug going on, that im sure my ear doesnt sit perfectly on the speaker and even with the velcro, im sure i move it a tad. Will definately try to manipulate its positioning a bit more.

update...

FM Mode
Ok, so i get her out and ride for a little while.. Few good roads around here, but a little heavy on the traffic out there today.  the FM stations and audio seem to come thru alot better than the Bluetooth thru the cell phone.  Even at 105-110mph i could still hear some songs fairly well.  

Anyone know if Cardo makes any type of audio booster?  i could see where an audio booster would be handy in a wired system, just not sure about the bluetooth though

more to come later...
Do the speakers for the helmet actually plug into the unit? aka are they just a normal headphone jack type of connection? If they are than an amp would be cake.. If not, might be able to splice it in between the unit and the helmet speakers and add a small amp.

I will have to figure something out for sure because of the exhaust I will have...  
whistling.gif

Also thanks for the review and all the info.. I do plan on getting one next weekend (Tax deposit the 15TH)no matter what. Like you, I have the sirius on the bike and would love to be wireless to my bike when I ride..
no, actually the wires run right into the mount, and the SCALA mounts right to the side of the helmet. I know thats a bad descripion, but long story short, the wires do not plug in, the are all pre-wired.

update...

FM Mode

more to come later...

whistling.gif

no, actually the wires run right into the mount, and the SCALA mounts right to the side of the helmet.  I know thats a bad descripion, but long story short, the wires do not plug in, the are all pre-wired.
Welp I will have to see what I can come up with. I know you can buy new mounts for people who have more than 1 helmet. I can mess around with it and can still just buy a new mount if something happens..

Again thanks for the info it is very informative..
clap.gif

Need to know how moving the speaker works out for ya. I'm pretty much deaf and cant wear my hearing aids while riding. That and I have shorty exhaust so the bike is extremely loud.

Well, as BUSA159 said, maybe i should have just moved the speakers around, play with some different locations in the helmet.

WOW!!!!!!!

one heck of a difference!! NO matter what rpm's i was cruisin at today, i could hear everything clear as a bell. Only times it was shaky was when the auto volume tried to lower the volume on me while on the phone. As far as audio output in either FM MODE or CELL PHONE, it was so very loud! Definately could not leave the volume turned up to the max in FM MODE cause it was deafening(sp?).

Got my Jabra bluetooth adapter in the mail today, its charging right now and will try and plug it into the Sat radio unit and see if I can pair it up with SCALA headset.

One thing I am concerned about is the use of cell phone if the sat radio does pair up. According to the instructions, you have to first pair your bluetooth enabled GPS to the SCALA RIDER Q2 headset then you must pair uyour bluetooth enabled cell phone to the GPS UNIT!. I for one do not have a GPS, and would not thing i could pair my cell phone to the SAT radio.

Im gonna do some tinkering with it tonight, but im thinking i might only be able to EITHER pair the phone OR the sat radio at one time, and not be able to run both....will keep ya posted!

Im gonna do some tinkering with it tonight, but im thinking i might only be able to EITHER pair the phone OR the sat radio at one time, and not be able to run both....will keep ya posted!
If you can not run both at the same time thru Bluetooth I would think you could run your phone bluetooth and turn on your FM radio and link your FM channel and your sirius radio right?

Anything that will keep me from having to run wires from my sat radio to my helmet will work for me. Would be nice to get off the bike and not have to worry about wires....

Im still workin on it blitz....

The Jabra A210s bluetooth audio adapter is not compatible with the SCALA rider Q2 headset. So that idea is out...

I dont know enough about the sat radio's or the unit I have (the instruction manual is useless) but my question is.... If you find the correct FM channel to be able to listen to Sat radio, will the sat radio unit still stream audio theu that same FM channel if you switch it over the its mp3 mode?

Gonna keep workin on it....cause like you, i dont want to have to run an extra cable or wire anything from my sat radio to the helmet. Will have to as a last resort, but would rather not!

Anyone have an input?

The Jabra just won't sync with the Q2? Have you tried to sync it with something else, like BT headphones?

Im still workin on it blitz....

The Jabra A210s bluetooth audio adapter is not compatible with the SCALA rider Q2 headset. So that idea is out...

I dont know enough about the sat radio's or the unit I have (the instruction manual is useless) but my question is.... If you find the correct FM channel to be able to listen to Sat radio, will the sat radio unit still stream audio theu that same FM channel if you switch it over the its mp3 mode?

Gonna keep workin on it....cause like you, i dont want to have to run an extra cable or wire anything from my sat radio to the helmet. Will have to as a last resort, but would rather not!

Anyone have an input?

the Sirius unit you have, if it will stream over FM, then YES it will stream MP3`s also, thats how people use them in the car with out having to hard wire them. Thats how my set-up works. FM mod. is a great thing.

Sounds good too.

Josh

the Sirius unit you have, if it will stream over FM, then YES it will stream MP3`s also, thats how people use them in the car with out having to hard wire them. Thats how my set-up works. FM mod. is a great thing.

Sounds good too.

Josh
Yep I have the cable to actually hard wire it to my truck but the FM way is working great for me. I have the Sportster series so I don't have the mp3 playing on it. But, I have a cell phone that runs bluetooth stereo so I am good there..

and BUSA_CHeMiST thanks for everything..
bowdown.gif

Back