My Mom wants a bike

NPD3507

Registered
My mom told me today that she wants to get a Hardley Drivenson, so I tell her thats GREAT (she don't need a sportbike) and she says that she needs to learn how to ride it (she rode years and years ago).  I tell her that if she really wants to do that, let me know and i'll pay for her to go to the MSF course.  Well I get home and start looking for her a Harley.  I go to Bartlesville Cycle Sports (cheapest in Oklahoma) and find some 883's and 1200 sportsters for 7,000 to 10,000.00 and that they have a promotion going on for a New 2008 for 99.00 a month for 24 months and 152.00 a month for the next 48 months.  I think i'm going to have to shell out the 150.00 for that course real soon...lol

She don't want to wear a helmet, so i'm going to get together a bunch of pictures for her to look at..We already gave her a Police Motorcycle jacket (Leather) and a pair of Cheek Chillers (Chaps)...

My mom rides a Harley...lol, thats going to make a great T-shirt...

all kidding aside tell her to start on a honda rebel 250 or something similar, there's all sorts of reason to do this too. light weight, relatively low price that will also help her decide if riding is for her, unintimadating are just a few reasons. As far as the no helmet thing thats just stupid, let her know about rocks, big bugs, big birds etc etc....good luck man

We already talked to her about bike choice..She said it had to be a harley, because all her friends are hard core harley riders...Tried to talk to her about a metric cruiser, but she was having none of it...lol..She has rode in the past, but it was a very long time ago...

Just let her get the harley then. They are ok bikes. When taking the MSF she will ride the easy to handle Rebel or nighthawk 250 any way. Don't let her get any of the old sportsters they handle vey badly and the frames are very heavy.

No, she is buying a brand new one...I'll go with her to pick it up and i'll do the break in on it for her...lol

I get really tired of the argument that we should all start on a 50cc scooter, then 12 motorcycles later, we are ready for the bike we really want. I mean, everyone had a moped/scooter first and progressed one performance class at a time to a 'Busa, right? A Harley is dead simple to ride and their 883/1200 isn't too much for very many people. The new Sportster is a pretty good bike 'for a Harley' and I hope your mom enjoys it. I just hope she changes her mind about the helmet. I know Harley riders don't want to wear one, but at least do it for the ones she loves.

I get really tired of the argument that we should all start on a 50cc scooter, then 12 motorcycles later, we are ready for the bike we really want. I mean, everyone had a moped/scooter first and progressed one performance class at a time to a 'Busa, right?
Hi and welcome to the .oRg!!

I dont think many say to start on a scooter..

Most V-twins make great starter bikes IMO as they do not produce peaky power curves and allow you to concentrate on control with good low end torque..

Just seems you would be better off learning the "instinctive" use of brakes, clutch, and throttle without getting ballistic as the same time. Supersport bikes just do not lend themselves to the learning curve very well..

The new Sportsters have some nice looking variations and they only start at $10G or so..

what ever she gets.... PICS!!

Thanks for the welcome. It was sarcasm, so here is a smiley as a peace offering...
cool.gif

Put her on the 883, I know many guys that ride the 1200 and they are torquey. If Bartlesville is ok for you, check out the Oklahoma Riders Education Program. I understand they are more lady friendly and that is where my wife took her course. Really good instructors and it was a husband and wife team who taught the class. Good luck to Mom!
beerchug.gif

heres a picture for you to show her, tell her to make the investment in the proper gear your not suppose to be the "adult" here.  Then tell her good luck with the bike and I hope she has fun.  
ThumbsUp.gif

By the way this guiy lived heres the article if you want to read it.

news_crashhel.jpg

Lot's of Mom and Dads do it. Just make sure she takes the riding course. Most accidents come from weekend newbies.

Lot's of Mom and Dads do it. Just make sure she takes the riding course. Most accidents come from weekend newbies.

heres a picture for you to show her, tell her to make the investment in the proper gear your not suppose to be the "adult" here. Then tell her good luck with the bike and I hope she has fun.
ThumbsUp.gif

By the way this guiy lived heres the article if you want to read it.
be lucky to get her in a "beanie" lid... HD rider in a full face? that will be the day.... (well I did but I am strange)

Hey, my Dad rides a Harley; so does the hubby, and nearly every other person I ride with...at least they enjoy the same thing I do, just hope she rethinks the lid decision...

Best of luck to her either way...to each his/her own, as long as she's having fun
beerchug.gif

holy crap your msf is a 150 bucks its only 25 here in ohio.
$150 is actually a pretty cheap price. Ohio must have a State funded/subsidized course. Oklahoma MSF classes do not see any $ $ $ from the state licensing program. Some of the states are $200-$300.
Think about what it would cost to buy/maintain 12 motorcycles, a classroom facility and riding range. Then pay instructors. Not a big profit at all.

FREE in Illinois? $25 in Ohio? I live in the wrong state. $200 in Nebraska, and +$80 if you have NO experience at all for a BASIC course ("This is the seat. It is where you put your butt.")

Does your local Harley Dealer have courses? Maybe she can ride one she has her eye on in the course?

Back