my impressions of the busa

BusaHaya402

Registered
well ive now had my busa for 5 days and logged 1000 miles (i ride the hell out my bikes).........anyways, i find the busa is near perfect, i have a few minor complaints but overall im very happy with it.........are these things normal for ya'll??

1. on smooth roads the ride seems incredibly bumpy, go over a bump and its unbelievable........i think maybe i need to adjust my suspension to my weight? (5-10 and 160 lbs)

2. not very easy to make sharp, tight turns, i figured this would happen before i bought it, but i dont really care......

3. seems to shift like a bucket of bolts.........any oil/clutch fluid whatever i can use to make it shift smoother?

overall im really happy i went with the busa, later ya'll...........

1. sounds like a suspension issue to me, might be a good dea to get someone to set the sag and preloads and blah blah blah correctly for you. From what I hear, the busa's super comfortable on long long touring-type rides, though it is going to be a bit jostling, due to its sporting pedigree (wish I could be more helpful... they don't believe in smooth roads here in Seattle, so... *sigh*)

2. Yeah, it's not a flickable bike compared to the supposedly "more sporty" 600s and literbikes, but hey... they might catch up with you on the turns, but you'll lose wem on the straights again. ;)

3. Wierd.. I had an issue with it when I first got it, but after figuring out the throttle/clutch control on shifts it hasn't been an issue... are you experiencing it more on downshitfts, upshifts, or both?

About the clunky transmission.......My last bike was a CBR954RR, now that thing was CLUNKY!!! Coming from that bike to this one.......Is like a Ford Bronco to a Cadillac.

I took the Advance Riders Motorcycle Safety Course and I did find the Busa very challenging in negotiating some of the slow speed manuevers.

well ive now had my busa for 5 days and logged 1000 miles (i ride the hell out my bikes).........anyways, i find the busa is near perfect, i have a few minor complaints but overall im very happy with it.........are these things normal for ya'll??

1.  on smooth roads the ride seems incredibly bumpy, go over a bump and its unbelievable........i think maybe i need to adjust my suspension to my weight?  (5-10 and 160 lbs)

2.  not very easy to make sharp, tight turns, i figured this would happen before i bought it, but i dont really care......

3.  seems to shift like a bucket of bolts.........any oil/clutch fluid whatever i can use to make it shift smoother?

Have you ever ridden any other sportbikes before?? Because I'm assuming you haven't by your observations.

1. My Busa glides on the road with minimal vibration if any at all. Maybe coming from a cruiser it might seem rough....dunno

2. Not easy to take on sharp turns?? Well the majority of bike accidents occur from new riders riding under a year, the 2nd most accidents (at fault of the rider) are taking turns too fast. This is a moose powerbike, not a flickable liter bike.

3. If you think this trans is clunky, go ride a yamaha R1 or R6 that has a stacked gear transmission. NOW that is clunky. One of the first things I noticed about the Busa was how seamlessly smooth the trans shifted compared to my '03 R6 I traded in for it. It's like he just said, going from a Bronco to a Cadillac.

<!--EDIT|Aceshigh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121339467 -->

1.  on smooth roads the ride seems incredibly bumpy, go over a bump and its unbelievable........i think maybe i need to adjust my suspension to my weight?  (5-10 and 160 lbs)

2.  not very easy to make sharp, tight turns, i figured this would happen before i bought it, but i dont really care......

3.  seems to shift like a bucket of bolts.........any oil/clutch fluid whatever i can use to make it shift smoother?

Have you ever ridden any other sportbikes before?? Because I'm assuming you haven't by your observations.

1. My Busa glides on the road with minimal vibration if any at all. Maybe coming from a cruiser it might seem rough....dunno

2. Not easy to take on sharp turns?? Well the majority of bike accidents occur from new riders riding under a year, the 2nd most accidents (at fault of the rider) are taking turns too fast. This is a moose powerbike, not a flickable liter bike.

3. If you think this trans is clunky, go ride a yamaha R1 or R6 that has a stacked gear transmission. NOW that is clunky. One of the first things I noticed about the Busa was how seamlessly smooth the trans shifted compared to my '03 R6 I traded in for it. It's like he just said, going from a Bronco to a Cadillac.
I would have to agree with aceshigh on his obersvations. My experience with the busa has been the same. Unless the road is extremely uneven, I glide just fine. My gearing is smooth as butter and, once I got the feel for my particular bike, I can hold my own on the twisties, even tight turns, although it's certainly not like riding a smaller, lighter litre bike.

Busa is my first sport bike, Goldwing my other bike. The Busa rides as smoothly as the Wing, shifts better.

Set your suspension for your weight.

Get use to the bike. Sportbikes feel a whole lot different with slow tight turns since the front wheel is right under you.

My Suzuki RF900 shifts rougher depending on the rpms I shift at, but is shifts nice. I came off a '03 ZX6R 636. The RF is smoother and more comfortable.

I would have to agree with aceshigh on his obersvations. My experience with the busa has been the same. Unless the road is extremely uneven, I glide just fine. My gearing is smooth as butter and, once I got the feel for my particular bike, I can hold my own on the twisties, even tight turns, although it's certainly not like riding a smaller, lighter litre bike.
I agree 100%
cool.gif

yes ive ridden almost every sportbike out there, quite a variety, all types and years...........

as for my statement number two:

i didnt mean around corners, i meant like doing a u-turn, slow speed turns in neighborhoods and shyt............ya feel me..........

but thanks for the advice...............

<!--EDIT|BusaHaya402
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121373462 -->

1. Back out the fork compression adjustment 4-5 clicks. 38# front air pressure, 36#rear.

2 Change to an aftermarket top clamp & drop the front end about 1" to 1 & 1/2 inches & she will turn in much better.

3. Trans is harsh in the begining. Switching to synthetic motor oil smooths it out some.

I can navigate the Busa just as easy as my old SV650 during slow speed maneuvers such as 2-3mph U-turns etc.

You need to get some seat time on the bike, believe me the Busa turns very easy.

Shifting... If you look at threads you will see a common NOOB item about 5 to 6 gear shifting. I did the same when I got mine. Otherwise, ssssssmmmmmmoooottttthhhhh!

The Busa turning very easliy in slow manuevers is BS. I failed my MC license test cause I kept running over cones. The second time around I passed cause I only hit one cone. Actually the only bike I saw pass through the cones without hitting any was a old Honda cruiser from like '78. Everyone was hitting them, however I had the worst of times. Lucky I practiced like 50 times before the examiner came out.

On the shifting ordeal, I noticed my shifted hard while using Amsoil synthetic. I switched over to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic for diesels, it shifts much smoother now. As for the ride, I have no complaints, it rides awesome.

The Busa turning very easliy in slow manuevers is BS.  I failed my MC license test cause I kept running over cones.  The second time around I passed cause I only hit one cone.  Actually the only bike I saw pass through the cones without hitting any was a old Honda cruiser from like '78.  Everyone was hitting them, however I had the worst of times.  Lucky I practiced like 50 times before the examiner came out.  

On the shifting ordeal, I noticed my shifted hard while using Amsoil synthetic.  I switched over to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic for diesels, it shifts much smoother now.  As for the ride, I have no complaints, it rides awesome.
Sounds like you need practice, ive seen guys on huge touring Harleys and Goldwings pass an MC endorsement test.
But yeah, alot of guys fail too...I guess that is why they have the test.
tounge.gif

And about the shifting its smooth to me with Dyno oil..I guess it depends on what you consider to be smooth shifting on a motorcycle.

Slow maneurvers are more about the rider and less about the bike, its about balance , throttle and brake control.

Granted its probably a good idea to get to know the bike you are taking a course on first.

My most recent endorsement test was years ago on an SV650, at least half of the 15 people failed.  Not to brag but I was the only one who got a 100%.

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121484099 -->

About the clunky transmission.......My last bike was a CBR954RR,  now that thing was CLUNKY!!!  Coming from that bike to this one.......Is like a Ford Bronco to a Cadillac.

I took the Advance Riders Motorcycle Safety Course and I did find the Busa very challenging in negotiating some of the slow speed manuevers.
Those Hon*as tend to be a bit clunky, don't they?

Have you tried shifting clutchlessly? Makes shifts really smooth.

All's good.. Trans "feel" is halfway between refined & harley. BUT, when it's pullin 130 - 165+mph you won't notice it. I think everyone has to play with suspension settings a little. If you can, check out NESBA (they have a web site.). Their begginers class supposedly has excellent instruction for determining how to set up your susp. for riding style/ weight. And the cost for the class seems very reasonable.

as for my statement number two:

i didnt mean around corners, i meant like doing a u-turn, slow speed turns in neighborhoods and shyt............ya feel me..........
I hear ya' on that, now that you point it out. Just need some time in the saddle, perhaps, to get to know your bike. I can whip a U on my busa in a relatively tight spot now. To admit...yes, until I got a feel for my new bike, I did put my foot down a couple times in a very tight radius turn, such as a U to get in or out of a spot. But once I got some time in the saddle and got used to the bike...it's no prob.

Just remember to keep your speed up a bit and don't look down at the ground as you turn through the U, keep your head up and look through it. Sounds like you're an Ace from what you said, though, so you prob'ly know that anyway...but, just in case. Reminders, et cetera, never hurt.

Hope you mesh with bike, bro.
beerchug.gif

Back