My first wreck

BusaMan29

Registered
Well, I had a bike accident today on my Busa. My first wreck on my first bike. I was traveling west bound on M-45 (Michigan) traveling at about 60mph. I glanced to the left for a second and then when I looked back forward there was a car completely stopped in front of me about to make a left. I had no time to completely stop but managed to slow down to what I estimate to be about 40 when I rear ended her. I had no time to lay the bike down and I hit her upright. I figured I propably would have had that same accident if I would have been on a bike or in a car. I'm fine although I'm really sore. I've called the insurance company and got the ball rolling there. Hopefully the bike is totaled so I can get a new one. It certainly looked totaled to me while I was sprawled out on the pavement. The paramedics on the scene said they certainly thought that it was totaled as well. The biggest lesson that I got out of this besides being more alert to other drivers around me is that the safety gear works and to always trust it and wear it no matter what. I had full leathers on with gloves even thought it was 91 degrees today here in West Michigan. My head was the first part of my body to hit her car and from the look of my helmet, if I wouldn't have had it on, I wouldn't be writing this right now. So please everyone, always where your safety gear!!

Very sorry bout yer crash BM29................but very glad yer still with us.......sounds like it coulda been bad enough to really mess you up........thank goodness for leather. :super:

Good thing you are alive, already thinking about a new bike.
We all hate to know about riders going down.
Get better real soon!!!

Sorry to hear this, but at least you're ok! :bounce:

That's the bad thing about the Busa. Take your eye off of whats in front of you for a half sec, and that's all you need to crunch your baby.

Sorry to her about your wreck. Main thing is that you are OK> thanks of course to your sensible approach in riding in full protective gear, even in hot weather. I wish more riders would do the same.

Man 40 is a big hit, your lucky and we are all glad. Were you wearing gear?

Cap

WOW!!! Glad you were wearing your gear. :vader: and glad to hear your ok. Hope everything goes smoothly with your insurance company. Good luck!!!

Glad to know that your OK! I hate to hear of anyone crashin their ride.......but even worse I hate to hear when someone is hurt. Take care of yourself and I'll include you my prayers that your not hurt bad. :D

Damned good thing you had your gear on!!! Let us know how the insurance thing goes, if you are able to get a new one you might be able to part out some of the old?

Glad to hear you are okay. I was in Michigan Monday (track day at Grattan) and some idiot female cut me off on M44 on the way home to Illinois. I know the speed limits in Michigan are 70 on a lot of roads that probably should only be 55-65.
Folks need to understand that speed limits don't mean you HAVE to go that fast no matter what. At 60 MPH you are still travelling at a mile a minute. That may not seem like much, but that's moving right along. All it takes is one dimbulb in front of you to decide to stop for a squirrel crossing the road or some other idiotic manuver to turn a nice ride into a disaster. As to wearing protective gear...I'm glad it saved you, but I place that on the "personal preference" column. It's an indivudual's call on wearing protective gear if it isn't mandated by the state.

Dep

You may be sore but atleast you're still in one piece.  Glad you are OK.

Glad to hear you are okay but, you will be very sore. I just destroyed my TL1000R by hitting a car head on while on the Gap. I had gear on also and the Lord was riding with me and he helped me through it. I only had 2 broke toes, 2 quarter size strawberries, and a very bruised chest and shoulder area. I will keep you in my prayers also. The Lord blessed me after that and thats how I now own a BUSA. :super:

Man that was scary, there's always the fear of falling, being thrown or knocked into the path of traffic going the same direction behind you. I'm glad there were no serious injuries for you or the other party. Get well soon, and stay focused.

Too bad about the crash, glad you're ok.

I have a question...Why would you lay the bike down?

Glad to hear you made it virtually unscathed.......
But, I'm curious as to exactly what gear, helmet, etc. you had on..........

40MPH to 0MPH in about a second. That is a serious hit. I'm very glad you are OK. And yes you are right about being lucky. That could have gone much worse for you.

Laying the bike down probably wouldn't have improved things. The bike would still be totalled, but you might have then ended up under her car a bit along with your bike. And at a higher impact speed. All those hard metal bits crunching together with you between them might have been a bit too much like scissors for comfort.

In my opinion your instincts were right. Slow down as much as possible before the hit. Bouncing off something at a slower speed would be better than getting parts of yourself pinched between things at a higher speed. I figure.

That's a hell of a hit to WALK away from! So glad you're okay (but sore)...
Sorry about the Busa...here's to hoping she's toast so you can get a new one...
Good luck! :)

Back