My Cold Riding Gear (picture)

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
What's up guys/gals? I just want to share with you the secret to how I can ride in frigid temperatures. Maybe you will stop calling me nuts.:rofl:J/K.
As you can see, the only thing I wear inside the heated jacket liner is kinda like Under Armour for the summer. If you hold this shirt against a light, it's about as thin as paper. I tried wearing two long sleeves shirts inside the jacket liner once before....bad idea. It felt colder because the liner is farther from the skin. The key is to keep the liner as close to the skin as possible without the liner touching it. Of course, another reason I don't want it touching my skin is so that I don't have to wash it in the future after using it several times.
The balaclava I wear is made by Cold Killers. It's so thin inside your helmet...it feels like you're not wearing anything inside, but the technology they use to block the wind around the neck area is just amazing. You've seen my posts on how many times I've been out there in the cold. I've been using this one for a couple of years now.
The gloves are amazing, too. Two days ago was the coldest I've ever experienced. Like I've said, I don't know what the windchill factor is at 70+mph plus the wind gust but my hands didn't get cold AT ALL.
The pants is just a ballistic nylon with liner. I only wear thermal underneath it and that's it.
As for my feet, I just put Foot Warmers on both and it helps.
By the way, I even took the jacket liner off my leather jacket because it just makes it bulkier. It's so comfortable without it. Got to be able to move freely.
The temperature on the liner and gloves on the highest setting according to the manual is 167*F and the lowest is 125*f. When I was out there last Sunday at 12*F, I left it on high and let me tell you, it's like sitting next to a fireplace. If you haven't experience these things, I'm telling you...it changes everything.
The balaclava...
KNOX Cold Killers Hot Hood 2

I hope this helps.:thumbsup:
Here they are.
4247189405_7b8634f822_b.jpg

good info, i ride all winter also but have never had any heated gear...i've actually been thinking about trying some out since i hate having to put the multiple layers on in order to ride :beerchug:

good info, i ride all winter also but have never had any heated gear...i've actually been thinking about trying some out since i hate having to put the multiple layers on in order to ride :beerchug:

I'm telling you, it really changes everything. I can move freely with only a shirt and the heated jacket liner inside the leather jacket. Last Sunday, it felt like 80* out there. No kidding. I was like.... why didn't I do this before?

When I ride in the cold now I feel like the kid in A Christmas Story when he falls down in his snow suit and can't get back up (that's me taking a header after trying to sit down). I have on 4 layers top and bottom and still have to use hand and foot warmers. I'm so getting heated gear for next year. Or maybe I'll have moved to a warmer climate by then.

BBB on her butt.jpg

When I ride in the cold now I feel like the kid in A Christmas Story when he falls down in his snow suit and can't get back up (that's me taking a header after trying to sit down). I have on 4 layers top and bottom and still have to use hand and foot warmers. I'm so getting heated gear for next year. Or maybe I'll have moved to a warmer climate by then.
I only have two words for you. Heated Gear. Trust me. You'll ask yourself...."Why didn't I do this before?"

I only have two words for you. Heated Gear. Trust me. You'll ask yourself...."Why didn't I do this before?"

Yeap, heated gear is probably the single best investment I have ever made in m/c gear. I've been running the Gerbings stuff for many years now and I'd never be without it.

Dayum, and you broke the fence. I do alright on short trips around here with my normal gear with liners in, and some nice winter gloves someone just gave me.

The heated gear sounds great

This is the first riding season I am using heated gears. I asked the same question "why did I not thought of this before. I have similar gears.

Heated gear... no wonder you still are riding. I thought you were just " cowboying up " :poke: I will have to look into getting some if I ride under 40 degrees more often.

Heated gear... no wonder you still are riding. I thought you were just " cowboying up " :poke: I will have to look into getting some if I ride under 40 degrees more often.

Now you know I'm not cowboying up.:laugh: Get it!!! You'll love it. If you ride below 40*, you WILL love it. Call me crazy, but when I got on the freeway last Sunday for the first time since the week before the snow storm, I was like a kid. I was screaming "YYYYYEEEAAAAHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!! WWWOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!
Trust me, if we don't have that volunteer every Sunday from 7:00-8:00pm, I would have stayed out. Same thing yesterday, if I didn't have to pick up the kids from school, I'd be out there all day. You can do it with these gears.

Now you know I'm not cowboying up.:laugh: Get it!!! You'll love it. If you ride below 40*, you WILL love it. Call me crazy, but when I got on the freeway last Sunday for the first time since the week before the snow storm, I was like a kid. I was screaming "YYYYYEEEAAAAHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!! WWWOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!
Trust me, if we don't have that volunteer every Sunday from 7:00-8:00pm, I would have stayed out. Same thing yesterday, if I didn't have to pick up the kids from school, I'd be out there all day. You can do it with these gears.

I'm a year round rider and commute to work everyday so I know what you mean. :thumbsup: The only downside is that I am the only rider :cheerleader:enjoying the road until the weather get warmer around Mid April here.

I love to ride in the cold a whole lot more then I do riding during the summer here in phoenix!! Will take care of riding during those times when I get a truck at tax time.

Yeah, I felt like the Pillsbury dough boy wearing all the different layers..and at 70 mph for 90 minutes was chilled to the bone by the time i got home..and my hands were stiff..and concentration shot to hell...heated gear=enjoyment...Gerbings for me..for as long as I ride..2hip

Back