Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my bikes broke, so im a cager for now

teddypenn

Registered
as you saw in my earlier thread, somehow i stripped my oil plug/pan while changing my oil earlier today. i was sure to be careful not to do that. the only thing i can think is maybe the last oil change i tightened the plug too tight :dunno: anyway, i decided to not mess with it and park the bike and put it in the shop to have it fixed. i dont wanna mess with it cause it was such a pita on my zx11 to change the pan. hopefully ill be ridin again within the next couple months (funds are tight round my way). ill still be here stalkin you guys though:whistle:

Always use a torque wrench on oil drain plugs, its easy to strip them because the oil changes the feel....and before you know it BAM! she's gone :laugh: Can't rely on the wrist wrench with oiled up threads :laugh: And if moneys tight it might be best to buy the pan and change her yourself. I haven't changed out my busa pan but I have done my 14's pan....was actually pretty easy, I can't see the old bus being any worse :thumbsup:

yeah, lesson learned. i may have to do it myself, it was just such a pita on my zx11

Can you Helicoil the threads?
If so this might be quicker and cheaper.
I will let the experts chime in and find out.
Bummer that you are off two for now.
Bubba

Good luck on the fix, maybe some of the Okkies will speak up and pitch in with some help :thumbsup:

ive been askin around and some say to put on a new pan, some say use helicoil. either way the pan has to come off. no way would i rethread the plug on the bike.

when i stripped my plug out, i used an over sized rolled edge plug instead. I cannot remember what its called. sometimes its good to have a brother in law who works in an auto shop. anyway the oil has been changed a few times and it holds just fine. It may work out better in your budget than a new pan at this time.

finaly got to ride again. i took the pan off and took it to one of the mechanics where i work and he drilled the hole and retapped it for a new plug. put the pan on and put everything back together yesterday afternoon, then went for a test ride. no leaks, no problems. rode to work and back today w/o any leaks. didnt cost me anything, so im totaly satisfied. i still worry and keep checking every 10 minutes it seems, but so far so good. thanx for all the advice from everyone; hopefully this keeps working. if not, it was a temp fix that didnt cost me anything (except the 11 bucks for a new gasket). im just glad to b on 2 wheels again.

Top Bottom