Munchie's Down - Totalled my Gen II - Old lady got me

Munchie

Registered
Details of the crash are below...right now, I'm looking for some help with a few questions...

My questions...
1. Does anyone have any idea what the buyback is on a bike like this?

2. Would you guys try to buy it back?

3. Does anyone know where any leftover K8 Black/Greys are still sitting new on the showroom floor?

My bike from the stealership 4 days before the wreck...just had my exhaust, wheels and new 2CT's mounted.

IMG00027-20100623-1648.jpg

The wreck photos...

IMG00020-20100629-1732.jpg

IMG00028-20100630-1320.jpg

IMG00022-20100629-1932.jpg

IMG00021-20100629-1932.jpg

IMG00024-20100629-1933.jpg

IMG00023-20100629-1932.jpg

The offender...the main impact here is the one from my headlight...

IMG00019-20100629-1724.jpg

Me and a buddy were headed to the Dragon last Tuesday coming through Highlands, when a 90 year old (literally - she was 90) pulled out in front of my on Main Street in Highlands. I locked the front and ran into her passenger door. She was trying to cross the road, so her direction of travel knocked the bike down amd rashed the entire right side. The bodywork on her Mercedes SUV left paint transfer down the left side.
I got a lillte scuffed up from the get off, but overall, I'm unhurt. Had a jacket and gloves that I bought the week before but I'm depressed over the damage to the bike.

When I locked the front, I tried to move to avoid her and the bike was already going down just as I hit her door. The front headlight assy took the biggest hit but I do not think the front wheel/forks saw any impact. All the plastics are busted and scratched in the nose and right side...and the insurance company says they're gonna total it. Said he was up to $8,000 in plastics without getting into any damage under the plastic yet.

Any help please guys...?

IMG00027-20100623-1648.jpg

IMG00020-20100629-1732.jpg

IMG00028-20100630-1320.jpg

IMG00022-20100629-1932.jpg

IMG00019-20100629-1724.jpg

IMG00021-20100629-1932.jpg

IMG00024-20100629-1933.jpg

IMG00023-20100629-1932.jpg

#1 glad your ok, sorry you didnt make the dragon, thats a good ride #2, i m no mechanic, but if the forks arent bent i would def try to buy it back, engine=ok, frame=ok, forks=ok, everything else is cosmetic.

I agree,,Thank the Lord that no one was hurt,paralized,,,lose of leg , ect......[ 2 ] I'd buy the bike back if you could,,if its cheap enough,,,I do know that there is a small window to do so,,,,either way ,..you should be able to get another bike,,,but alot of times,,buy backs are the better way to go,,,

Damn Michael! I am sorry to hear about this :(

I know how excited you were for your new exhaust and not even 4 days after getting it mounted along w/ the new wheels (hey those look familiar :whistle:) and new tires to boot! :banghead:

Most important though is I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. But I know how saddened and frustrated you must be right now. Hang in there man and PM me if you need anything.

Glad you're able to post up about it because it definitely could have been worse. Not sure who the insurance companies are that are involved or the terms of the policies, but I would guess that buyback is probably going to be between $1500 and $3000. If the forks are straight I'd probably buy it back too. Remember that it will inherit a salvage title once you get her fixed up and if you decide to sell her in the future it will have some impact on pricing.

My 'ole wheels may go to the bike bone yard now huh? :confused2:

I may be interested in your Corbin seat :whistle:

I am considering the options...

I'm dealing with Travellers Insurance...a first for me. So far, they have been ok. They offered me $1,000 for my "inconvenience" but want me to try to find someone to repair my 6 day old textile jacket that has the elbow torn out of it...also want me to find someone to fix my 6 day old gloves that have torn sections in the palms.

Said they could give me an "appearance allowance" but not going to pay replacement costs. :banghead: Paid $170 for the jacket and $60 for the gloves...summer stuff.

As for the seat Brian, I have you noted as first interested pending what goes down with settling up. I do have to tell you there is a bit of scuffing from where the seat came off during the wreck. Talk about a pucker factor!:laugh: It's not bad, but it is there. I'll keep you posted on what happens and I can post up a pic of the seat.

As for the wheels, I just had em take off the tires from my black wheels so it would cost me to do a swap. Kinda up in the air right now. They want receipts for the seat, wheels, tires, exhaust I got from Greg at HPC, gold screens I got from Vic (here on the board) and Buell pegs (also from the board).

Not sure what it will do for me on the payout though. We'll see.

I know it's silly guys, but I really liked the black/grey. Not a big fan of the 09 colors and having to put a chunk with the payoff to get an 09. Book value is ~$9,000 plus what they offer for the extras on my bike. Not sure what the leftover 09's are going for...but man I loved my black/grey.

I'm just really at a roadblock on what to do. If I buy back my bike, I don't know that I would try to get it back to where it is now. It couldn't be worth the expense and effort. Along with the hit with the salvage title. Best case would be a street fighter setup and still have the ride of my busa, but good grief...knowing what she used to look like...don't know if I could stand it.:down:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am considering the options...

I'm dealing with Travellers Insurance...a first for me. So far, they have been ok. They offered me $1,000 for my "inconvenience" but want me to try to find someone to repair my 6 day old textile jacket that has the elbow torn out of it...also want me to find someone to fix my 6 day old gloves that have torn sections in the palms.

Said they could give me an "appearance allowance" but not going to pay replacement costs. :banghead: Paid $170 for the jacket and $60 for the gloves...summer stuff.

As for the seat Brian, I have you noted as first interested pending what goes down with settling up. I do have to tell you there is a bit of scuffing from where the seat came off during the wreck. Talk about a pucker factor!:laugh: It's not bad, but it is there. I'll keep you posted on what happens and I can post up a pic of the seat.

As for the wheels, I just had em take off the tires from my black wheels so it would cost me to do a swap. Kinda up in the air right now. They want receipts for the seat, wheels, tires, exhaust I got from Greg at HPC, gold screens I got from Vic (here on the board) and Buell pegs (also from the board).

Not sure what it will do for me on the payout though. We'll see.

I know it's silly guys, but I really liked the black/grey. Not a big fan of the 09 colors and having to put a chunk with the payoff to get an 09. Book value is ~$9,000 plus what they offer for the extras on my bike. Not sure what the leftover 09's are going for...but man I loved my black/grey.

I'm just really at a roadblock on what to do. If I buy back my bike, I don't know that I would try to get it back to where it is now. It couldn't be worth the expense and effort. Along with the hit with the salvage title. Best case would be a street fighter setup and still have the ride of my busa, but good grief...knowing what she used to look like...don't know if I could stand it.:down:

Michael...please...don't worry about the seat right now. That comment was a poor attempt by me to lighten the mood. Lets focus on getting you back on two wheels again.
Obviously you don't have a receipt from me for the wheels. Let me know if you need me to "make up one" if you think that will help. What about your exhaust? Now that HPC is gone, did you get a receipt from Greg?
And I cant believe the Ins. Co wants you to get riding gear replaced AFTER the structure and design of whats its intended to do have been totally blown out. Replace stiching on gloves!? Are you kidding me!?

I'd see about buying it back , and part it out it . Mine was totalled a few years back , i bought it back for 1100 and for 1500 i fixed it back up myself with ebay . Got a new one with the insurance money and then sold the salvaged title bike for 4500.

whats the rack on the back ? send me a PM with the name of it please

Michael...please...don't worry about the seat right now. That comment was a poor attempt by me to lighten the mood. Lets focus on getting you back on two wheels again.
Obviously you don't have a receipt from me for the wheels. Let me know if you need me to "make up one" if you think that will help. What about your exhaust? Now that HPC is gone, did you get a receipt from Greg?
And I cant believe the Ins. Co wants you to get riding gear replaced AFTER the structure and design of whats its intended to do have been totally blown out. Replace stiching on gloves!? Are you kidding me!?

Oh i know dude, it's all cool! :thumbsup: But I do hate to see all that stuff go on the trailer if/when they come get it.

I tell ya guys, I really got lucky with the get off. I only had liability on my bike and have played this thing over and over in my head. If I had been able to avoid her by running off the road, imagine how torn up I would have been with no insurance to cover me or the bike (since liability insurance would have done nothing to cover my losses). She would have just stopped, apoligized for wrecking me, and left me to figure out what to do to put my life back together. I will never ride without full coverage again.

And no joke...she wants me to get my gear "repaired"...it's rediculous dude. She put her hand through the hole in the elbow of my jacket and said "yeah, i think this can be fixed"

Your exhaust looks to have made it out unscathed, correct? If that's the case you should def pull that and get some cash for it.

Is your elbow rasberried up where it tore through your jacket?

whats the rack on the back ? send me a PM with the name of it please

Well Frisbee, that rack is a custom one-off made by yours truely. I was up till 3am the night before we left finishing it up. I have access to a machine shop at work and made the rack to mount a Givi "Simply 470" hard case. Which did survive the impact intact btw. It's basically four aluminum uprights mounted to the bike on the factory frankenstein bolts mounting points. They support an aluminum strut frame that the Givi mount bolts to. I gotcha down as interested pending results of this situation.

Your exhaust looks to have made it out unscathed, correct? If that's the case you should def pull that and get some cash for it.

Is your elbow rasberried up where it tore through your jacket?

There is a bolt-on heat sheild that got really scratched up...but it can definitely be replaced. The can has a small scratch just where the carbon meets the stainless. Small, but I don't think it could be fixed or covered up. Depending on what they offer me for it, I may pull it off for a re-sell but I'm hoping they give me full value for it since it was only on the the bike a few days.

As for the elbow, I now have a scab about the size of a quarter but no "real" damage to the tissue.

My right knee has a scab that can't quite be covered with your thumb and my left knee looks about the same as my elbow. We were only doing 30mph at best...seriously. We were spaced between cars downtown Highlands, NC on Main Street around 4:30pm...not horsing around at all. So speed was really low. The skid mark where I locked the front was only about a foot long before the impact, and my bike never left the road.

I was on the inside of the lane and my buddy was trailing me on the outside of the lane...he was able to get stopped without incident. The SUV was traveling left-to-right, from my viewpoint.

Last edited:
As long as the Frame is not Bent then I say Fix it yourself and Keep it. :thumbsup:

Oh Yeah.............Glad you are OK

Back