Multiple ECU electronics and drawbacks

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Can multiple ECU "over rides" have ill effects on the performance~?~

In other words, I would assume that if you hooked up a TRE and a GPS mod that they would in a sense "fight" with each other once they get into 5th and 6th gear...(obviously I see no need in doing this)

How about a ECU flash and a Power Commander unit~?~

I run the PCV with the auto tune mod for the mapping and have also flashed the ECU (no map changes) to simply raise the 186 top end off and raise the rev limiter a couple hundred RPMS...I also still have the GPS mod behind the clutch that lifts the 186 rev limiter off.

Could this set up (GPS mod and ECU flash) cause any ill effects once it gets to where the limiter would normally be in 5th and 6th gear~?~

Yes, I know this sounds like over kill...but it just happened that we ended up doing both the flash along with the GPS mod and I don't see that it would hurt anything as is...theory's~?~

Last edited:
Basically I think what I'm asking is this...

Should the GPS mod be removed if using an ECU flash~?~

The GPS mod is reading 5th gear twice, not sure about the ECU flash but I reckon it reads 6th gear but lift the limiter~?~

If the GPS mod keeps it from reading 6th gear at all, then the ECU flash never makes it to the point where it kicks in right~?~

Still learning about ECU's, am I way off base here~?~

BTW...this is your daily mind teaser~!!~ :laugh:

Last edited:
PCV will remove top speed limiter as well as allow you to raise rev limiter , correct ?
So why do you need to ecu flash ?
Or since it has already been flashed you cannot unflash it ?

PCV will remove top speed limiter as well as allow you to raise rev limiter , correct ?

That's pretty much the scenario...it was flashed by a friend even though I have the other electronics installed.

I really don't need the ECU flash but figured since he did it what could it hurt since all he did was raise the limiter and the rpms a bit...

but then I am thinking isn't it possible that the different units sending programming advice to the ECU could end up clashing~?~

I don't know if he can "unflash" the unit or not...he had 3 ECU's (including mine) and flashed all 3...not a big deal, just wondering is all

Last edited:

PCV doesn't defeat the top speed governor, and without an ignition module won't raise limiter. its a fuel control module, unless you add onto it with hub and other accessories.

No reason for a gps mod if you are flashing to defeat the 6th gear 186 mph governor. The ecu will never see 6th gear with gps mod installed, that wont hurt anything but my preference would be to have 6th gear function as normal, except not have the governor.

a TRE would force the ecu into 5th gear all the time, so a gps mod, and a TRE = 5th gear all the time, which is a TRE, which is 5th gear all the time, which is....i just got dizzy LOL

And if you want to use ecu flashing for removing limiters, quick shifter, etc things like that there is no issue using a PCV or bazzaz on top of that for fueling if thats your preference, this referring to mildly modded bikes, now if you need lots of fuel etc things can get messy with FI lights from over duty cycle on injectors etc.

Last edited:
Have you seen this new product from Power commander ?
Secondary fuel control module

Power Commander V Secondary Fuel Module

Add it to PC V and now you can control all 8 injectors .

sfm_coming_soon.jpg

Yep, anotherbox to buy, pretty much same thong as runnong 2 pcs bit i think 1 software controls both
Posted via Mobile Device

That makes perfect sense though, if the GPS mod keeps it from seeing 6th gear then it never has a chance for the ECU flash to get that far to remove the limiter on that end. Yes I would remove the GPS mod, but can't sell them for anything and until I go through the clutch pack again I'll probably just leave it in there as long as it's not hurting anything...and the bike doesn't yell at me

PS...I have an extra GPS mod for sale out of his bike :laugh: $55 TYD

Last edited:
PCV doesn't defeat the top speed governor, and without an ignition module won't raise limiter. its a fuel control module, unless you add onto it with hub and other accessories.

Your right I was confused between PC V and XTRE I have.
The XTRE is what removes speed limiter.
Not sure if it allows rev limit to be raised or not but I am pretty sure when they dyno tuned my bike it was raised.

no xtre can't raise the rev limiter either, it keeps your ecu locked in 5th gear all the time to keep 6th gear from hitting 186 mph governor.

no xtre can't raise the rev limiter either, it keeps your ecu locked in 5th gear all the time to keep 6th gear from hitting 186 mph governor.

So Smith with a custom Dyno tune and these two things is rev limit able to be raised ?
I could swear mine is higher than where it was from factory ?

all depends on your setup, for a stock ish bike i say leave it, you probably aren't continuing to build hp up to redline anyhow. I am no expert on the matter, but over revving once you are already falling off on power isn't usually beneficial. post your dyno sheet

all depends on your setup, for a stock ish bike i say leave it, you probably aren't continuing to build hp up to redline anyhow. I am no expert on the matter, but over revving once you are already falling off on power isn't usually beneficial. post your dyno sheet

This is 2nd one.
1st one was with Muzzy 4into1 and oem wheels.
I picked up 6hp with Brocks and Marchesini wheels.

Brocks.Marchesini dyno sheet.jpg

Back