Motorcycle parking

We just had a new parking deck put in at my work and when they opened it they realized that the arm was coming down too fast on bikes. They made adjustments and now it works fine (first floor by the door parking as it should be).

WOW - Thats such crap. I understand its a liability, but so are all the 50K + cars that are in there. I would definitely find someone higher up to talk to.

Thanks for the replies. I didnt have a chance to call anyone today but I will figure it out monday when I have some time.

50k car won't fit in a van,but a motorcycle of any value will. To save headaches they don't allow motorcycles.

- Motorcycle Theft[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not like you can rely on the public....

- How to steal a bike in NYC[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good point...but they also won't allow motorcycles because they cannot move them to make room for the parking of other vehicles without taking a chance that the idiots working for them will drop your bike. This is the main reason. Some garages will take them, some won't. You'll notice that if a garage accepts your bike, they won't take your keys and your bike will (hopefully) be in the safe spot as you left it. Its kind of annoying but so is a lot of other things in big cities. I'd rather have them not touch my bike if you ask me.

Bikes are a higher liability vehicle for 2 reasons.
1. It is much easier to steal a bike than a car.
2. Physical injury is more likely on a bike than a car.
It's not fair, but the insurance companies and bean counters only care about statistics.[/
QUOTE]

Exactly. Have we not learned anything from the BS that the insurance companies claim; "we'll take your premiums, but we don't want to pay for your accidents". Hey, their CEOs need that 27th house and 32nd sports car with their $20million bonuses.

In Nevada, we actually had a Home Owner's Association claim that you could not own a motorcycle and live in this particular HOA community. Not a 'decible reading' for loudness that would apply to everyone (if that was the contemplation), for cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc.; you simply could not live in the neighborhood and own a motorcycle. I believe the same community bought a speed gun and used to issue liens to people if they were over the speed limit in the neighborhood. Thank goodness, the State jumped in and said that they HOA could not do these things; out of a HOA's jurisdictition, so to speak (no S**t). Folks ( & businesses) get out of their legal realm (but not out of their self-righteous realm). They make things up to avoid liability* (sorry, *responsibililty) and possible loss of profits for their not so faithful leader CEOs, that they follow like lemmings.

I have a feeling that the answer is simpler than an insurance issue. Parking decks/garages usually deny all liability/responsibility for everything anyway. I suspect the real issue is far simpler: bikes can often enter/leave a parking deck/garage by going around or under the gate, and then can park for free. To prevent lost revenue, the garage operators simply say "no bikes".

I am a part owner of the lot where I park (it's unattended - all automated). Anyways, whenever I ride my bike to work, I just go around then gate arm when arriving and leaving, and am able to take up a parking spot for free. But it's my lot, so why not? BTW, we DO allow bikers to park there.

CW

Here in Asheville they usually let us bikers park for free in the garages. Since the town is more "eco" friendly then ever before they think we are doing our part with less emissions and whatnot.:laugh:

I'de find your rights and go from there.

Back