Motobatt battery went bad

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So my gauges wouldnt even turn on this morning nor would the bike prime or start. Found out minutes ago the battery is shot again. Its only a month old.... i have no accessories on the bike and all wiring is good.

Time to get a pb-2... no more motobatt

Forgot to mention i rode the bike sunday...

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

I have had my motobatt for about 2 years. It will run dead in about 2 weeks with out the tender hooked up....but I have some electronics that drain it.

Get one of those $200 light weight ones.....I wonder how good those are? I could use one for my project 05

So sorry to hear. I wonder how long mine will last.
Posted via Mobile Device

the battery is shot

Motobatts have a two year free replacement warranty.

If it goes bad, you get a new one no questions asked.

I think I'm pushin' 2 yrs on mine & works fine. Make sure to use a battery tender in your off-months. Any battery can go bad if bike sits in the cold for 6 months. Russ, you sound like a guy who rides a lot, even if you go with with different one, still get a free one out of the motobatt folks. We can set that up.

We sell the Fast-by-Gast PB-2 Battery also.

Motobatts have a two year free replacement warranty.

If it goes bad, you get a new one no questions asked.

I think I'm pushin' 2 yrs on mine & works fine. Make sure to use a battery tender in your off-months. Any battery can go bad if bike sits in the cold for 6 months. Russ, you sound like a guy who rides a lot, even if you go with with different one, still get a free one out of the motobatt folks. We can set that up.

We sell the Fast-by-Gast PB-2 Battery also.

I did the free replacement once already in Jan. This is my second in 3 months....

I did the free replacement once already in Jan. This is my second in 3 months....
Sounds like you have something draining even without the key in the bike. Can you check the drain current with an ammeter? Doubt it's 2 bad Motobatts.

With that said, batteries are one place it's usually not worth going cheap. Yuasa AGM is my vote, and you can get one for about $90 shipped.

Finally, look into a product called Battery Minder. The pulse technology really works to revive dead dead batteries. A very good investment for $40. Pashnit should start selling this product to keep it in the family.
http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulphator-Model/dp/B000P23HZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299639513&sr=8-1

i have an 06 with original batterry and it is working fine,however i keep mine on a small little battery charger 24-7 all year round.The one i use i bought from Canadian Tire.Its very similar to the small Battery Tender thingy.

Why not just use a stock one ?

Probably will after this... I think the stock one I replaced when it went back 4 months ago was the original...

Rectifier.....

I thought about that but the first battery I couldnt even recharge. I will drop this one off at autozone but Im pretty sure it will not recharge either. I dont even get a spack when i short the terminals. Same problem I had with the last one

No spark means it's completely dead or open. One time on my Gen I I accidently turned the key to far and the next day it was dead. The old park position. In the manual there's a simple drain test. I would give that a shot. Two batteries in a short time frame :whistle:

Russell, sent you a pm response on testing current draw. You will need a good battery, but any bike battery will work, or even a rigged stack of regular 1.5V dry cell batteries (AA, C, D). Do not use a car battery!

If you can get it started, the charging is very easy to test - easier than the current test sent by pm. Feel free to call me and I can walk you through this.

Sounds like the gremlins to me, only one thing to do if you got an infestation :whistle:

found mine dead once it was that I turned the switch all the way back when I took the key out. :laugh: Get your battery warrantied and give it a good once over.:thumbsup:

You may wanna check with the seller of those Chinese levers you got.
Maybe they have the nine year old working the battery machine and you can get a good one from them :laugh:

FWIW the wal-mart brand batteries can be had in agm and are made by yuasa i believe. i'll still buy yuasa just because i hate wal mart. :laugh: i got my batt from schnitz

Makes it very suspicious that the battery seemed OK on Sunday, and is dead a few days later. It seems more likely something drained the battery. Even a few watt usage will drain the battery over a period of a few days.

Anything you can think of? HID ballast?

It's easy to figure it out. Let me know if want to try.

BTW, I just recently replaced a 5 year old battery with AGM type from ebay. Works great.

Back