Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Questions on the Yoshi RS3

Rocketman

Registered
Sorry to keep bugging you guys... but you guys are all knowing. ;-)

Question 1:
I put on my new yosh RS3 but I have an exhaust leak at the flange. How do I get that seated in further? I had to pry the inside two pipes apart quite a bit to get them to fit. (Pry - I tapped them apart with a rubber mallet.) But the second in from the left hand side (non-kick stand side) seems to be the culprit. The inner tubes do not have inside springs so I don't know how these get pulled in any further.

Question 2:
The other thing is that pipe came with a rubbery plastic thing that fits the clamp on the tail pipe. Without it - the clamp does not fit well. With it - of course - it fits great. Is that rubbery thing OK on that pipe or will it melt and become disfigured with heat?

Any of your expertise is appreciated!

Thanks - Shawn

Here is the pipe without the rubbery thing...

Pipeclamp_too_Big_1_small.JPG

The rubber won't melt. Mine have been on for a couple of years now.
super.gif

Question 2 The rubber gasket is made to go around pipe under clamp.

Question 1 you will need to stand by for a knowlegeable guru...

You could have possibly made the pipe out of round by tapping on it and its not making a true seal. The only thing i can suggest is that you can bring the bike to a muffler shop and have it welded as the last resort. Is it leaking all the way aroung the flange?

I can't really tell. I really didn't hit the end of the pipe though.

When you put the two together , did it go in easy or was it hard? Sounds to me either its not in all the way, or something bent because it doent have a good connection.

We had to keep pushing them apart as we put them on. It was just the one inside pipe that gave me problems. We put a rubber ended hammer against the pipe that wasn't sliding in right and then knocked it over about 1/8" to go in. It was a sideways push and then I pushed it onto the flange kinda thing. It's likely that one isn't sealing. I can take it apart and remount it.

Is it normal to have those center 2 pipes not be exactly dead-nuts on?

If I were you I would take it down and see if their is not a burr or something holding it from seating. Mine is seated perfectly true. Make sure you dont have a leak their. If the system is not sitting true somethings in a bind. Try taking it down and fitting the system off of your bike and see if it all makes up easier. Make sure all springs and bolts are tight.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I think that it is bound up a bit since I had to knock the pipe over to get it onto the flange.. I just didn't know if all this fussing was typical or not.

Have you attempted to put your standard exhaust back on to see if you haven't screwed something up?

You're a gasket obviously? And gasket goo?....

Gasket goo? I did put new gaskets in it. Does it take some kind of gasket 'goo'?

Well... when I've installed the exhausts on my last 2 bikes and last 3 cars, I've used a gasket (solid material) and then a thin coating of gasket goo (Exhaust 'liquid' Gasket)... I picked it up a spare parts shop...

(DisPlaCeD @ Mar. 04 2007,22:39) Have you attempted to put your standard exhaust back on to see if you haven't screwed something up?

You're a gasket obviously? And gasket goo?....
I personally wouldnt use a gasket goo on that, there isnt a flange, its held on by springs. I would recommend possibly measuring the tubes to make sure there round.

I'm taking her in to the dealer. I cannot get these pipes off now that they're on and don't want to mess anything up.

However - it's interesting you say this. The service guy at the dealer said that they put a little hi-temp silicone on their pipe installations too. ... I don't want to do the wrong thing here.

Top Bottom