mobil 1

No...just stay away from anything with "Friction Modifiers". All the 40 and 50 weight oils are ok...it's when you get into 10w-30 and 5w-30 that you will run into the energy conserving crap that is bad for the wet clutch.

No...just stay away from anything with "Friction Modifiers". All the 40 and 50 weight oils are ok...it's when you get into 10w-30 and 5w-30 that you will run into the energy conserving crap that is bad for the wet clutch.

Is there any language on the bottle that designate which does and doesn't have the friction modifiers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Look at the 'API' label...it would say it there. I have not seen any 40 or 50 weight oils that have the dreaded friction modifiers. I like to use Mobil 1 4T, you can find it for $10 a quart...you can get Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil for 1/2 that @ Walmart.

Why not just go down to your local parts store and grab 4 qts. of Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil. $3.90 a qt. and it says on the bottle made for use with wet clutches.

Contains appropriate amounts of zinc, phosphate and magnesium. All reduce friction. Non synthetic change it out w/filter every 3 to 4K and you're good to go.

Busa's are water cooled and thus the operating temps are controlled by the T-Stat, Radiator and cooling switch plus some other little electrical gizmos. It isn't a BMW or Harley whose engines are air/oil cooled and subject to ambient as well as operating temps.

Try me you don't need $15.00 a quart oil in your everyday street bike. I have 37,000 miles on Krakatowa..no probelmos but I change it every 3k and renew the filter. Just my 2 and 1/2 cents. Wardie :beerchug:

well i work at a auto parts store and we don't carry anything just for motorcycles. i have used there filters for my bike and my friends use there filters with no problems. im going to run mobil 1 and see if i like it. beacause 12 dollars for oil and a filter is way better then what i pay for it at the dealers here.

well i work at a auto parts store and we don't carry anything just for motorcycles. i have used there filters for my bike and my friends use there filters with no problems. im going to run mobil 1 and see if i like it. beacause 12 dollars for oil and a filter is way better then what i pay for it at the dealers here.

Thats what they said at Auto Zone when I sent someone in there to get them some Mobil 1 4T. I had to make a special trip up there and show the workers what they had on their shelf.:laugh:

Thats what they said at Auto Zone when I sent someone in there to get them some Mobil 1 4T. I had to make a special trip up there and show the workers what they had on their shelf.:laugh:
Our AutoZone's and O'reilly's just started carrying M1 4T at $9 quart..

But IMO, Wardie is right... ANY good M/C oil is fine as long as you keep it changed on a regular basis.. The main advantages to synthetics is the life span (how they justify the costs) but many change it on some abbreviated schedule of like 4K miles.. why bother?

I ran M14T for 10k+ and oil checked out fine (zinc, chromium, lead, copper)

You wont find anything on any labels about "Friction Modifiers" IME.. You will find "Energy Conserving" on the labels... I have no idea what this means but it has been posted by some "reputable" sources that this is not good for M/Cycle use...

Advance Auto Parts $3.99 qt. 10w-40 Valvoline motorcycle oil. They also have Valvoline 20w-50 V twin (air cooled) motorcycle oil. I don't run that but both have the appropriate additives for friction except the 10w-40 is approved for wet clutches.

I like K&N filters easy to get a socket on the can but I can but Suzuki stock filters all day for $7.00...so that's the way I go. Wardie

Back