Mobil-1 15-50 vs. Mobil-1 MX4T

OB_WARBIRD

Registered
Does anybody Know the REAL differences? Do you think the double the price diff. is worth it? How about accessability to the product? I can get 15-50 Mobil-1 at any Wall Mart, or Mobil station in the country.[not to mention parts stores, grocery stores ect....] Having a hard time finding the MX4T anywhere except the Mobil website. However if it is really superior I will surley use it. 10-40 just may shift better than 15-50. Lets hear it people, your opinion is VERY valuable. No one knows the busas like you do.

Considering what a new 'busa costs, I would only use the best I could get. Motorcycle oils are supposed to be better for bikes as compared to car oils, as motorcycles have something cars don't have in the engine.....clutch and trans. So in my opinion (and I am not an oil scientist) I would use only a oil specifically designed for bikes. As far as weight I would stick to 10w 40 unless I lived in a very warm climate.
I would also wait for 2000 mi. before using synthetics.....my 2 cents

I changed to MX4T after 3000 miles of conventional 20/50 golden spectro. When I started it up it sounded like a different bike, the shifting is almost automatic without any need for clutch on upshifts. Definite power increase due to reduction of internal friction and 20 decibles quieter at full blast and idle. Purrs with this stuff in it. I swear by it.

Switched to 15w-50 at 2000 miles, runs great! I would have went for the MX4T, but availability sucks, I just couldn't see paying shipping or waiting for it, on-line is also the only place I could find it. I think "AutoZone" is supposed to carry it, but there arn't any in my town. I asked the same question before switching, the 15w-50 has been used by many bike and hayabusa owners...havn't heard any complaints. Also read several oil anlysis reports putting mobile 1 synthetic near the top.

I use the full synthetic after 2k miles on my busa. I am using the car mobil 1 oil 15w50. I used this in my last 2 bikes no problems....I put 24,000 on my fzr600 and their clutches are week and only replaced the plates once, cbr900 rr 12,000miles and no signs of slippage, and my busa with 4400 miles 2000busa, no problem so far, My friend has spoken to the mobil rep before and he stated it will work fine....My friend has 44,000 miles on his gsxr1100 89' and never had to replace his clutch, nough said....this oil rocks.....Bye the way we ride hard and not just cruise on are bikes to give you an idea. I ride hard and keep the revs up there on my normal rides....I try not to ride around town and try and find curvy roads in florida. I do ride above the average rider in my groups...a group of about 5 leave people behind usually about 5 minutes we wait up when we go through are normal riding routes. 2 out of 5 race expert level an 1 amatuer. I am going to race next year on a gsxr750 or an R6...$$willing....

[This message has been edited by Stephen Horner (edited 07 June 2000).]

As many of you know I am working on an oil article for a US based motorcycle magazine and I have done extensive testing including elemental analysis of each of these Mobil products. Since the article is not out yet I cant release the full results but I can say they are different. They have different additive packages and of course they are of different viscosity also.

Stay tuned and subscribe to Motorcycle consumer News magazine and in a few months we will have published the most comprehensive article ever on motor oils. I think there are a total of 24 oils in the test and 48 diffrent motorcycles.

Don
Rotts4u@aol.com

Rotts4U, In your opinion, what do you think of the mobil 1 synthetic car oil since your testing or mcnews is testing this...they tested in a previous article other oils that I read but let me know what you think??? Like I said I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Don, thanks for the "Hint".

I totally believe there ARE differences, and ones that warrant using Motorcycle Specific oil, be it Synth or Dino. If I couldn't get Moto Synth oil, I personally would go back to a Moto Dino oil for the additives and the different sheer properties.

Another thing I believe is we as bike riders are taking it up the arse as far as the price goes. Mobil can charge $7.99 qt for the same reason a dog licks his balls...because they can. There is not enough competition in the cycle department as far as oil (and parts) goes. Just look as what we have to pay for parts! Caliper for a car, $12.99, Caliper for a bike, $100. I just paid $5 for a frigging rubber grommet!

I will still take the best care of my bike I can, and hopefully she will take care of me.

Gary

I run valvoline syntec (for cars), 10w-30. super smooth. went with the 30 hoping for slightly less hp loss than 50. i dont ride on the street a whole lot, mostly track and short trips, though.....

Back