Massive Accident Caused By Bike running

forceofnature

Registered
Washington DC beltway area.

Looks like a motorcyclist caused a bad accident by running from the police.  Bike got away causing a 7 car pileup 2 deaths and 13 injuries.

They did not say if it was a sportbike all they say is that it was a black bike.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/

Be safe and think of others as well as yourself.

What buIIsht!! The news reported the accident started when the COP LOST CONTROL of his car due to HIS reaction!!!

Great Spin from the police and media!!

(Tango1300 @ May 30 2007,20:40) What buIIsht!!  The news reported the accident started when the COP LOST CONTROL of his car due to HIS reaction!!!

The thing to remember though is this,

Once you run from the police, you are responsible for everything that happens during the chase. Including a cop losing control of his car. That's the way the law is written.

(Charlesbusa @ May 30 2007,20:45)
(Tango1300 @ May 30 2007,20:40) What buIIsht!!  The news reported the accident started when the COP LOST CONTROL of his car due to HIS reaction!!!

The thing to remember though is this,

Once you run from the police, you are responsible for everything that happens during the chase.  Including a cop losing control of his car.  That's the way the law is written.
True, by law he may be responisible, but police officers have no business trying to do the impossible (catch a motorcycle in traffic or drive wreckless at high speeds themselves) putting the public in even more danger. This is why many police jurisdictions won't allow police to pursue over certain speed limits or in certain areas. Police need to realize when to give up the chase instead of endangering motorists further.

You better believe the police will end up getting sued in this one since it was their car that lost control hitting the other vehicles.

Being an LEO and after reading the statement in the news release, I am left with two VERY important questions...1. Was the unit in question a marked unit or unmarked unit? in the aerial footage I see an unmarked unit with crash damage..no marked units with damage. 2. What was the actual action of "positioning to stop" by the unit in question?

I don't know the whole story, but from the news release states it is reasonable for the speeding bike in question to execute some "aggresive handling" to remove himself from a perceived threat, considering the unit was either marked or not. I am not aware of any tactics that would require a unit to manuever into a vehicles path of travel that could potentially endanger another vehicle for a speeding or high rate of speed violation. Like I said though, this was not an in depth report and I am only getting part of the story. Just my .02

Yeah.... I am thinking it was the officers fault. the article flat out states the officer hit a civilian vehicle, if the officer was going to use his vehicle as a weapon to stop the motorcycle he should have considered collateral damage and should have been able to avoid hitting a civilian vehicle.

If I am riding a motorcycle I don't care who pulls out in front of me, I am going to do whatever I can to avoid hitting them

when they impound bikes and take you to jail for goin 100mph most "KIDS" on these bikes will say F-it and run...they are screwed anyways so why not try get away....which is basicly the reason these kids on bikes run..its also to brag they got away.....and thats my experience from most of the guys in my town....

sad.gif

Between the police, news reporters and those stupid commercials I'm thinking there's toxic drinking water in that area.

The motorcycle cuts in front of a car so the cop was forced to rear end that car? wtf
rock.gif

Then the idiot makes a big deal of the fact it's a BLACK motorcycle! Yup that pretty much narrows it down to....well....every other motorcycle in the world.

From the piss poor reporting it sounds like it all may have happened in seconds. I wonder if the guy on the bike even knew if he was being chased. If he didn't watch the news he's probably sleeping right now without a care in the world.

Or if he does know and has a conscience, I wonder how long before the acid eats through the stomach lining?

No matter what the cop should be put away for a minimum of 25 years for wreckless stupidity.

like turbo-torch said that guy may have not even noticed when im haulin all tucked in i don't noticed who's behind me if you watch the clip it just sounds like he was haulin a$$ and an accident happened behind him its not his fault the cruiser was the genious who couldn't drive if he was speeding and cut someone off why would the person hit the brakes unless they're a crappy drive or the cop was a retard and and just hit them like the genious most cops i know are besides if you see a crash that deosn't mean you have to stop and even if he did cause that crash that deosn't mean knew he was the one who caused it ... sorry that clips frustrating it just sounds like they have to put a blame on someone for the cops stupidity
rant.gif

yeah I watched the 10 PM news last night on fox, the lady specifically asked the reporter if the bike was a "bullet bike". the reported said she came over garbled and he couldn't understand what she asked and went onto how traffic was backed up. and yes they were really specific on it being a black bike. gee that narrows it down. dorks. that's like saying it was a black car. OHhhh that's so specific. apparently they cop turned on his in car camera and they have some footage of the bike and were reviewing it at the time of the news. in the mean while I better keep my black bike locked up untill they catch the biker or I might get pulled over.
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

The police take no personal responsibility for their actions in a pursuit. The runner is somehow responsible for the decisions of the popo. I think running is stupid, but it doesn't give the popo cart-blanc to mame and kill knowing that they can put the biker in jail for it while they go back on the job to do it again.

(HotRod104 @ May 30 2007,21:08) Being an LEO and after reading the statement in the news release, I am left with two VERY important questions...1. Was the unit in question a marked unit or unmarked unit? in the aerial footage I see an unmarked unit with crash damage..no marked units with damage. 2. What was the actual action of "positioning to stop" by the unit in question?

I don't know the whole story, but from the news release states it is reasonable for the speeding bike in question to execute some "aggresive handling" to remove himself from a perceived threat, considering the unit was either marked or not. I am not aware of any tactics that would require a unit to manuever into a vehicles path of travel that could potentially endanger another vehicle for a speeding or high rate of speed violation. Like I said though, this was not an in depth report and I am only getting part of the story. Just my .02
Hi, to answer question 1. From my understanding, it was a marked PG County Patrol Car. He hit a truck which flew over into the other lane. A umarked car, driven, by a officer on his way home, was hit. Two people have died so far. A bunch are in bad shape.

I don't understand how all this happend. At 7:00pm rush hour is dying down. However there are still pockets of stop and stop somemore traffic. Especially in PG county. I did not see the bike speed reported. You can't be going but so fast in DC Metro traffic. I do know this however, the police are out everywhere looking for this black bike. I must have seen 20 cops on my way into work this morning. I just happen to ride a black bike.....

I may be the minority here, but I do believe that motorcyclist, if ever found, should be held accountable...I realize that many blame the cop's mistake, and without the actual facts of what really happened, I have to say that in the heat of a moment, bike fleeing from the cops, rider could have been implicated in another crime for all we know, or suspected of being intoxicated, etc...the cops chased him because that's what they are trained to do (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's in the hopes of staving off that rider hurting himself or someone else...of course, now that 2 are dead and so many injured and the rider is MIA, everyone's turning to the cop that was in pursuit and pointing a finger...all I can think is that if I were in that situation, would I have handled it any differently given my training and experience?  I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same and there's a possibility that I too could have caused another crash
sad.gif
 It's a sad series of events, and I'm sorry, but it was started by someone that thought the best decision at that moment was to run from the law...wow, what a lot to live with now; I hope he/she feels the anguish of those lost due to his/her actions...

And, I have to add that I have lost someone very close to me because he opted to run from the police...I really think he'd be here today had the cops not chased him, but he was speeding, drinking, on a bike and needed to be stopped...I sure would love to say he survived his crash and learned a lesson, but instead he paid the ultimate price...it really make me think long and hard about police pursuits, but I back the law and feel that the rider that opts to run is in the wrong and should carry any and all burden for ensuing crashes or deaths...

sad.gif

sad.gif

Being that I'am a 22 year LEO in the DC area, I'll tell you this. The prince georges county police dept, Isn't the best when it comes to quality hiring. The quaility people tend to go to the federal agencies where the starting pay is high. PG county tends to get the yahoos that join for the wrong reasons and think they have a cape and a mask, and the cruiser has a big bat on the side. I know a few of them, and quite a few has left my dept. to go there due to the fact that they can't be a yahoo where I work at and not be dealt with. So, thay go where thay can get away with it.
This big accident is not the first time that something like this has happened, clearly the officers fault, but some one else gets hammered for it.
So for a while every black sport bike is a target in prince georges county, there're going to assume it a sport bike. They're good at 4th amendment violations. So every black sport bike that they see will be pulled over, all others will be watched and followed.

If you go though prince georges county,md, watch out.

By the way I also grew up there.

yeah,when i make the decision to open it up,first of all its on open road and there isnt a car in site but i get tucked and im not looking behind me at all,if for some reason a cop gets behind me it wont be until i slow down enough to sit upright to notice he was there and by that point im pretty much fukc'd.just the other nite i was on a stretch of open HW,tucked,got to 130 covered about 5 miles in 2 min and sat up,no one behind me...cool.its hard not to take those openings when they present themselves.so he may have never known there was cop behind him

Hadn't thought about that fact, that the rider didn't know he was being chased...good point...

Guess it's tough to draw any concrete conclusions without all of the facts; hopefully they'll find them all in time, but I fear it's a case of "well, we'll never know"
sad.gif

Back