MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Marines -
Feb 23
rock.gif
?? Why is this date in our hearts even if we don't realize it?

I have something for the first Marine who sounds off (with the correct answer of course - and provided he/she doesn't already have this)

New Breed, Old Breed - the only thing that matters is the Marine Breed.

Semper Fidelis!

I think I got it....

but I'm no Marine.

a classic portrait of American strength + bravery.
wink.gif

I think I got it....

but I'm no Marine.

a classic portrait of American strength + bravery.  
wink.gif
Shortboarder Craig -
Awesome!  Not a Marine huh?  Even better.  What I have for you is some genuine volcanic sand from the beaches of Iwo Jima (if you are interested of course - if so PM me your details).  I was fortunate enough to have traveled there and I can think of a better day to share the experience than today.

So, enough suspense - toady is the anniversary of the two American flag raisings on the island of Iwo Jima.  The second one was immortalized in a photograph by Joe Rosenthal and is regarded as one of the most recognized images in the world.

Here is a picture from when I went:

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109161041 -->

iwo_jima.JPG

Shawn, thanks for the offer. I am not a Marine although my adopted son was. The sand is a significant reminder of what the guys went through at Iwo Jima. I would rather a Marine have a chance to have the sand you are graciously offering. Thanks again, Bob

Neice is a Marine spending time over in Japan right now. Proud of her and all that have fought and served this country. Thanks for this post, I sent off an email to her just now letting her know how proud I am.

Mustang,

I'd be honored, thanks for the offer! Although - I would completely understand if you wanted to give the prize to an actual Marine. It's an important moment in American history that I'm sure has an even deeper meaning to those who have or who are serving...

MC,in the parade magazine,it's an insert in our sunday newspaper there was quite an interresting article about Iwo Jima. Don't know if you local paper carries it or not. What I didn't know is there is a film of the flag being raised. It was shown in movie theaters to help morale on the home front.

Thanks for serving.

Here's the classic photo that Joe Rosenthal, an AP photographer, took 60 years ago:

iwoJima.jpg

MC,in the parade magazine,it's an insert in our sunday newspaper there was quite an interresting article about Iwo Jima. Don't know if you local paper carries it or not. What I didn't know is there is a film of the flag being raised. It was shown in movie theaters to help morale on the home front.

Thanks for serving.
ValleyBusa,
It is interesting about the film, if the one in theaters is the original. The photograph of the flag raising was snapped by Joe Rosenthal while the flag raising was being filmed. After it was published there were several accusations that the photo was staged. A few years later, they matched the photo to a frame in the film, proving it wasn't.

Anyway - thanks for thinking of us.

Back