Manufacturers may propose a racing series in US

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
This just in from the Motorcycle Industry Council, which encompasses all of the OEMS here in the United States:

Motorcycle Industry Council Evaluating Issuance of
Request for Proposal for U.S. Road Racing Series

IRVINE, Calif., June 26, 2008 - The Motorcycle Industry Council, on behalf of its 300-plus members, is evaluating whether to issue a request for proposal seeking a series promoter and sanctioning body for a premier professional road racing series in the United States.

"Our members are better served by having alternatives to the changes for the AMA Superbike Championship that the Daytona Motorsports Group has so far described," said MIC President Tim Buche. "We fully appreciate the expertise, hard work and connections the DMG may bring to motorcycling. However, the independent interests of the manufacturers call for a racing series that helps promote specific motorcycle brands. Historically, motorcycle makers have boosted bike sales based on their success in racing. It makes little sense for bike manufacturers to heavily invest in any competition that highlights sponsors and teams and downplays the machines themselves, as well as their technological development. So we are obliged to investigate alternatives that could do a better job of meeting our members' respective marketing needs. This is especially true given that it's now late June and there is still uncertainty over the DMG's 2009 rules."

The MIC intends to consider input from key industry stakeholders including racetrack owners, riders, interested sponsors, and enthusiast and trade media.

The MIC wants a racing series that best promotes rider safety, competition, innovation, racetrack attendance, television viewership and ridership. The MIC also wants a championship that ultimately benefits the consumer - an exciting, popular series that develops new technology that finds its way to production motorcycles. The series should be clearly recognized as the top level of U.S. road racing, drawing both world-class riders and upcoming stars. [/quote]

The pressure is on now for DMG!! Time to kick DMG to the curb!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jun/080626bombshell.htm

good deal, i dont thing DMG is going in the right direction, i know mat mladin doesnt think so either l.o.l

That's great news.
beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Now maybe someone will LISTEN to how to make motorcycle racing WORK
ThumbsUp.gif
 !! DMG are YOU LISTENING  
whistling.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

There is already speculation that the 2010 Laguna round will bring the 125's and 250's back if the DMG clown circus is all thats available. I weep for the future!
laugh.gif

Thanks for these updates guys.

I read with great intrest the article in Sport Rider magazine. It appears the big companies don't like the idea or the people behind it.

r8

It appears that the Manufacturers threat of a competeing series has possibly made DMG back off on some of its controversial proposals and because Yamaha is not on board with the proposed Manufacturer series its unlikely that the competing series will actually happen. It seems to be more of getting DMG to be more reasonable.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Meanwhile, DMG sources told Roadracing World last week that the organization had already moved away from several of its more controversial rule proposals, taking the following actions:

--Renaming the 1000cc class "American Superbike"￾ and eliminating a dyno-enforced maximum power output of 185 horsepower in favor of something close to existing AMA Superstock engine rules, in line with ongoing calls by FIM President Vito Ippolito for National Superbike Series worldwide to move closer to production motorcycles by 2010.

--Backing away from the concept that Daytona Superbike would be the featured class and instead agreeing to promote both classes as "co-features."￾

--Moving American Superbike chassis rules closer to existing AMA Superstock chassis rules but also allowing aftermarket front fork triple clamps, swingarm pivot inserts and aftermarket front brake master cylinders and discs, again in line with FIM proposals.

--Providing a purse for American Superbike, with $10,000 paid to the winner.

--Moving to ban expensive, major internal engine modifications designed to dramatically change the power delivery of 600cc four-cylinder motorcycles in Daytona Superbike.

--Agreeing to work with a rider safety committee in the future. DMG officials said they invited the existing AMA Pro Racing rider safety committee (well in advance) to participate in a track inspection with DMG staffers and Road America CEO George Bruggenthies prior to the recent AMA National at the Wisconsin track, but that the only member of the committee who actually showed up was Ben Bostrom.

--Stating that the series would not return to Loudon unless significant changes were made.

--Stating that the series would not go to Watkins Glen as it currently exists.[/quote]

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33044

lurk.gif

This IS THE 2 WHEELED VERSION OF CART VS. IRL! ROFLMAO!!

It's interesting that DMG is softening their stance a little bit. I do like the idea of Daytona 600's and American Superbike co-headlining. But I would love to see the Big Superbikes do doubleheaders in 1 day as opposed to 2 days, more inline with WSBK

I like this quote from Mladin:

"There's a lot of funny stuff going around about what's going to be happening, etc., etc. I haven't read any of it. All I know is whatever Suzuki wants me to do I'll do whatever they want me to do. I don't really care what DMG does. They're not really my concern. I don't care whether we race 125s or 1000s. Whatever Suzuki wants to race I'll race. Whatever Suzuki wants me to race, I'll race. I'm contracted to Suzuki. As far as results go, it's not going to make any difference."￾

In other words....
I am gonna whip everyone no matter what they make us ride. Got to love the competitive attitude found in champions!

Charles, thanks for supplying all this news on the subject to us!!!

"There's a lot of funny stuff going around about what's going to be happening, etc., etc. I haven't read any of it. All I know is whatever Suzuki wants me to do I'll do whatever they want me to do. I don't really care what DMG does. They're not really my concern. I don't care whether we race 125s or 1000s. Whatever Suzuki wants to race I'll race. Whatever Suzuki wants me to race, I'll race. I'm contracted to Suzuki. As far as results go, it's not going to make any difference."￾

In other words....
I am gonna whip everyone no matter what they make us ride. Got to love the competitive attitude found in champions!

But...he also stated that HE WILL NOT RACE DAYTONA SUPERBIKES next year. If he says is true, that means Suzuki is obviously pulling operations out of DMG, so far, for next year.

I want a rival series. Those are the races I (as well as the Moto Die-hards) are going to attend.

If I am not mistaken, WSBK went through something similar to this back in ,04 or 05, when the big 4 pulled out of that series - because of changes in tires and other parameters.
The series continued with privateers (with some success) and they all sort or jumped back in the next year.

I think this DMG bunch will win out after some saber rattling and concessions on both sides. I just hate to see what little motorcycle racing we have in this country be destroyed by NASCAR cloning it.

In other words....

But...he also stated that HE WILL NOT RACE DAYTONA SUPERBIKES next year. If he says is true, that means Suzuki is obviously pulling operations out of DMG, so far, for next year.

I want a rival series. Those are the races I (as well as the Moto Die-hards) are going to attend.
Or if Suzuki runs in DMG's format, Matt will only run the 1000s and not in the 600s.
winkold.gif

Not getting any better  
sad.gif

Tracks are getting worried because DMG hasn't put out the final rules yet and its up in the air if the Manufacturers are going to pull out... And NOW is the time that they need to sell sponsorship.

"We stand to lose a lot of money from our manufacturer sponsor if they choose not to participate next season," Wilson said.[/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jul/080801b.htm

Another update;

rumors of another class...

Well-placed sources from within DMG say that late last night a change was made to the format that DMG/AMA races will have in 2009. These sources tell Soup that in addition to the Daytona 600 Superbike class and the American Superbike (formerly Liter Bike) series, DMG will also offer a class called "Factory Superbike."

Sources are telling Soup that "Factory Superbike" class will offer full World Superbike technical rules--and possibly not require spec tires![/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jul/080703z.htm

From another source, this could help bring the manufacturers back.

Rumors running through the motorcycle industry are that DMG will adopt FIM World Superbike rules for the headlining class at DMG-promoted, AMA and FIM-sanctioned Superbike Nationals starting in 2009.

According to a racetrack executive who said he wished to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to discuss DMG's latest plans, the Factory Superbike class will not run spec tires, spec fuel, spec electronics or any other restrictions, and factory teams will be free to test as much as they wish. There will be no minimum or maximum participation requirements imposed on the brands participating in the class, the track source said. In the past the track source has proven reliable.

Reached by phone at his Florida headquarters, DMG's Roger Edmondson said he had no specific comment, but then said, "We are working on finalizing our plans but are not ready to announce what we're doing."[/quote]

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33116

Back