Main problems in the Busas

Road Dog

Registered
What are the main problems in the first Hayabusa models from the year -99?
I've heard there are a few, but can someone list and describe them to me?

Fuel filter clogging too easily...
Aluminum subframe breaking...
Cam chain tension malfunctioning
Causing way too many speeding tickets...
Promoting Modification frenzy...

I have heard of the starter motor exploding and cracking the cases, do a search on this, I don't think this was limited to the 99 models though. I think there is a plastic casing that can be put over the starter motor to prevent it from cracking the cases. Busa fever has the other issues covered.

Can you elaborate on the subframe problems? What would cause that - wheelies? I can't see why the subframe would crack or break.

Brakes: I was under the impression that busas have great brake systems. I just want to be real about my first busa.

Thanks.

UUBusa are right, the starter deal is only on the 2002 model. about the cam tensioner & the subframe, i think they had recall about them, check your local dealer. busa has good brakes but you can install steel braded brake lines & that will work really good.

brakes on busa are generally not up to the job as standard, certainly on the earlier models & to my knowledge they havent changed them yet.
I would suggest
good quality brake pads, bendix or lockheed seem to work best
braided lines
master cylinder from a k2 gxer 1000

I have done these on a 99 & now the brakes work
& if they dont make you feel better then a pair of nissin 6 pot calipers with bendix pads will stop you.

Back