Common Probs with Busas over the years.

TheRapture

Registered
I'm trying to get a list of common probs with the Busa's over the years... after watching the boards for a while this is so far the only things i've came up with.

If there are more please list and give the years. Thanks!

'99: Aluminum Sub frame (brakage), Cam Chain problems,
Fuel pump problems
'00: Aluminum Sub frame (brakage)
'01: none
'02: Starter clutch kickback problems, speed govener
'03: speed govener
'04: speed govener

<!--EDIT|TheRapture
Reason for Edit: "UPDATE"|1088518589 -->

ya forgot a little problem with the fuel pumps on the origanal ones!and maybe a little cam chain unpleasentry.but thats about it .

good job on the updates, dont forget that we have to answer stupid questions from people like( HIM ) trying to figure out how to do wheelies on katana 600s... look for that problem thread and laugh your ass off... the only other problem that I have run into is that If your just out cruising without your hump on your bound to get bugged to death for a ride from some hot chick... oooooooooops thats not really a bad thing i guess... keep up the good work guys...

good job on the updates, dont forget that we have to answer stupid questions from people like( HIM ) trying to figure out how to do wheelies on katana 600s... look for that problem thread and laugh your ass off... the only other problem that I have run into is that If your just out cruising without your hump on your bound to get bugged to death for a ride from some hot chick... oooooooooops thats not really a bad thing i guess... keep up the good work guys...

so far the '01 seems to be the one to go with... however there were questions about it also having the starter problem...
lol, yeah i read that thread yesterday... funnier then all hell
smile.gif

i'm trying to get this lost of common probs togeather so that I know what year of Busa to get. I've learned not to get a "new" bike any longer due to 1. the idiot dealers in my area. and 2. the various problems that occur (that arent noticed until a few years of riding later) i.e. the sub-frame problem.

..just a quick remark on the aluminum "subframe" issue..

because of a few IDIOTS trying to make the bike what it is NOT intended to be (a BMW..) and in the end uploading everything AND the kitchen sink on the rear, this became a true problem..

Once and for all: if you put two saddlebeags and your wifey on the rear, then you have NOTHING to worry about!.. If you start going triplets on hard cases (and wifey is heavyweight contender..) then you got the wrong bike in the first place.

The steel subframe added weight to the newest models, and "some" peace of mind to the light-headed people out there. This is a SPORT-tourer, not the U-HAUL!

Simple as that.

ahh, understood. so your saying if you and your women equal about 500lbs, it's not good for the bike?
laugh.gif

anyway, is there any word on the 2001 Starter? most people said the 2001 is a diffrent starter then the 2002 model, however there have been a few posts that say the some of the 2001's have the same problem.

I've read a couple posts saying the starter problem can affect 99-02. 02's have the worst of it though. '03 and above are safe.

no no no , I bought the best color, black and purple. The cross between the batmobile and the avenger.. My 7 year old thinks I am cool so I play along with it ... and sometimes being cool to your kids is all that matters.

I've read a couple posts saying the starter problem can affect 99-02.  02's have the worst of it though.  '03 and above are safe.
I've also heard this... but it hasent been confirmed yet.

Anyone have any more insight to those years with the bad starters?

('03 and '04 models may be to "new" and problems may not have arised yet.)

I've read a couple posts saying the starter problem can affect 99-02.  02's have the worst of it though.  '03 and above are safe.
I've also heard this... but it hasent been confirmed yet.

Anyone have any more insight to those years with the bad starters?

('03 and '04 models may be to "new" and problems may not have arised yet.)
03s and up have the beefier starter gears. Keep the battery charged on the 99-02s and you shouldn't have a problem. The gear comes apart and ruins the case when the battery is low and the engine kicks back. Am I wrong guys and gals?  
rock.gif

Oh yeah, Schnitz Racing makes a sturdy replacement gear for the 99-02s. They also make a protective sleeve for the existing starter gears.

www.schnitzracing.com

<!--EDIT|Postal
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088700798 -->

Back