Magic Jack

joncook06

Registered
I just mine a week or so ago, and lovin it so far. Just wondering if anyone here has it and if there are any problems I should look out for.For those that don't know it that box that plugs into your computer and gives you a home phone for 20 bucks a year.:thumbsup:

Get one here. I have been using one for 6 months and it works fine. You will need a good fast internet connection though. I got it primarily for use as a fax line but it is a free call anywhere in the US.

magicJack

Heard some bad stuff about them at ripoffreport. I'd post a link, but can't using my phone browser.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripoff Report Verified Safe
Magic Jack is a scam. I bought the Magic Jack in July 2008. I actually went ahead and prepaid for 6 years service. The total with shipping was $108. It installed OK and worked from the start. On occasion, it would sound “tinny," and would occasionally drop a call, but was worth what we paid for it.

In September, we suddenly started getting an error message on our phone stating “Due to unusual call volumes on your phone, please call x number for an important update." I called multiple times and left messages but never received a return call. I tried to work through “chat" but that experience was just a waste of time. I finally reached a person at the phone number in mid-December. They informed me that we used the Magic Jack too much, so they froze our account.

The man on the other end of the phone notified me that paragraph 6 of the contract stipulates that they can block anybody's service for overuse, at any time, at their discretion. They do not define what “overuse" is, nor do they warn the user of the potential “overuse." The man on the other end of the phone advised me that they would reinstate our account once we pre-paid for Magic Jack's use at one cent per minute. One cent per minute sounds pretty good for long distance, but this would be one cent per minute every time we picked up the phone; local or long distance (not to mention that theiradvertising notes 'free' calling after the initial investment). In the end, we would be paying $20 - $30 per month for mediocre phone quality, and exceptionally poor service.To be fair, they did refund the 5 years prepaid ($59.95), but we paid $40, plus shipping for approximately 2 months service.

Buyer beware, and whatever you do, DON'T FIRE YOUR PHONE COMPANY. Fortunately, we didn't.

Sam
Delaware, Ohio
U.S.A.

hmmmmm. interesting.

I use YAHOO Phone at $.01 per minute and SKYPE at $.02 per minute
$10 (or 1000 minutes) lasts me 3 to six months. So for BOTH I pay about $40 per year max no other fees. I do NOT have a call IN number except my work number that transfers voice mail to my personal email where ever I am - leave a message I call you back kinfa thing. If Yahoo had a number in my area I'd have one. My it works fine this way. The quality on both is comparable to average cell phones

For me, the advantage is my phone is protable. On a laptop or PDA on wifi, I can make calls from Panera Bread or anywhere without lugging a magic jack and a full telephone around also. Kinda bleeding edge but I got it managed pretty well. Sometimes I have to REBOOT my telephone :)

I was looking into magic jack before this, and ALMOST did it, I'd heard good and bad... but decided to go fully mobile.

Last edited:
Buddy here at work is Australian. He got a Magic Jack and a local number. He took the Jack to Australia with him and left it for his parents there. Now, because the number is local and routes the call based on IP, he can talk to his parents without any international rates being applied.

He's reported nothing but success.

we just starting using it at work a few months ago and it's pretty good. we've had some instances where we had connectivity issues but i think it's been hashed out.

Back