Lowered front end - Bottoming out prevention.

JusPlaynBob

Registered
So recently, I smashed the front fender of my bike, into three pieces.
I had lowered the front of my bike an inch, in conjunction with a GenMar riser.

It had been bottoming angainst the fender a bit but nothing serious until "The Incident".

I see lowered bikes all over the forum, so this is either common and you guys are just "Living with it" or,
there is a remedy I'm not familiar with.

I love the enhanced handling and turn in of the lowered front and it looks good too, but not at the expense of damage and safety.

A little enlightenment would be appreciated.

dunno.gif

Stiffer springs will help from bottoming out, but the ride will be harsher.

If the only reason you lowered the front was for handling, then you went the wrong way. Raise the rear(which improves groundclearance as well) and you'll get the same handling and have the full range of suspension travel without bottoming out.

When I got my 05, it was lowered. I didnt like bottoming out and scraping pipes, etc. Raised it back to stock height. I dont know what else you can do to prevent it.

Stiffer springs will help from bottoming out, but the ride will be harsher.

If the only reason you lowered the front was for handling, then you went the wrong way. Raise the rear(which improves groundclearance as well) and you'll get the same handling and have the full range of suspension travel without bottoming out.
All true.

You could also lose weight
laugh.gif
I have stiffer springs and lowered the rear even to the front and that helped the bottoming out.

I recently installed a Genmar 1.25" riser, and dropped the front the full 1.25". Rear of the bike is set to the stock height. I posted up a question about this, and another Busa rider said they had the same setup and it handled great. So, I left it.

I have rubbed the fender on one major pothole, but otherwise I have been loving how the bike feels compared to the stock height. I had the +1" rear link before, with the front at the stock height, and I seem to like this setup more. But I am no cornering expert....

Thanks for the replies Guys.

I've been considering the raised rear end approach and think that may be the way to go.

Looks like a need to check out soupys website.

beerchug.gif

Don't be offended, but I would like to know if you're a larger fellow?

Mine is lowered 1.25" in the front, and has never hit the fender on the undernose tray.

If you're only lowered one inch, perhaps you need to adjust your preload on your forks. I've weighed anywhere from 170 to 195 lbs, never bottomed the fender.

As far as under neath, I've only bottomed the exhaust once, on a huge dip at the bottom of a hill. Other than that, it's just looking out for speed bumps etc.

I'd try stiffening up your springs in the front before anything else.

Good luck.
beerchug.gif

I recently installed a Genmar 1.25" riser, and dropped the front the full 1.25".  Rear of the bike is set to the stock height.  I posted up a question about this, and another Busa rider said they had the same setup and it handled great.  So, I left it.  

I have rubbed the fender on one major pothole, but otherwise I have been loving how the bike feels compared to the stock height.  I had the +1" rear link before, with the front at the stock height, and I seem to like this setup more.  But I am no cornering expert....
Only 2 problems you'll run into and both will only happen at a very fast pace.

1)You won't be able to lean as far as my bike can because you have reduced ground clearance.

2)You're suspension doesn't have as much travel as mine does. So a large enough bump in the middle of a corner could bottom out your suspension causing you tire to bounce off the road, no grip until the tire recontacts the road.

But these only matter if you're going fast enough.

im in the same boat u are, but weight 200 lbs. i lowered my front end about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" and and decent bump, my fender SLAMS up into the nose section. i have even tightened my fork springs down like crazy and even though its helped, it still likes to hit every now and again. i just just my front stand so im gonna raise the front alittle and just have it lowered 1" and c how that is

If I am correct, increasing preload is in essence compressing the spring a little bit. As you said increasing the preload will not increase travel. However, compressing the spring will allow it to be a LITTLE stiffer, which may be enough to solve his problem.

Just as I have said in many posts passed...under NORMAL street riding, and NORMAL canyon carving he will be fine. Track days or extreme conditions may be something else. My bike is lowered 1.25" in the front and couple inches in the back. I can honestly say that I still don't ride my LOWERED bike to it's abilities.

So while yes, Charlesbusa, you may be able to out rail me, and a lowered bike doesn't suit you...it is just fine for many many other riders out there, and not any more dangerous than railing on the street.

If the ONLY reason to lower the front is to improve handling, then that is the wrong way.  Raise the rear.

But IF there are others reasons for lowering the front, then lower the front.

I'm not telling anyone to raise the rear only.  Just trying to give them all the info.  I don't know if they're fast in a corner, just a poser(someone who looks good standing next to their bike
tounge.gif
) or somewhere in the middle.  Its up to everyone to make their own choices, the more info the better.

beerchug.gif

Preload will help.  It will increase the amount of force necessary to smack the front fender.  But it can only go so far.  A stiffer spring will definately solve the problem, but because there is less travel, the ride will be harsher.

I use the "Sport Rider" sag and suspension settings as my Base Line.

(Infact I have them on a card in my wallet.)

Currently I have four lines showing on my pre-load adjusters.

I have that setting to be the best with regard to handling.

At that setting, the spring aren't too tight to soak up the road and weight of the bike in a corner, allowing it to track nicely.
I'm worried that if I tighten the preload, it will cause the bike too push through the corners and actually prevoke a low side slide.
I think I'm going to try apair of adjustable dog bones and get the arse end up an inch.

Ground clearance is nice too.

Suspension.jpg

Back