Looking for advice, the real estate type

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I'm moving to DFW for my job and its time to sell the house here in SoCal. But its the wrong time to sell with the market crashed. I owe about $50,000 in mortgages(1st and a 2nd) more than the house is worth(according to zillow.com). I'm current with all my payments, its just that I have to move. So some choices that I know about so far;

1)Rent the house. I've pretty much elminated that option as I can not come close to renting it for what the mortgages cost per month. Additionally, I risk the house being vacant with no income, renters trashing the place and I'd have to pay additional money to a mangement company. Its true that the house's value could go up again(market) and I could make a profit. But with the research I've done, the market isn't likely to "significantly" go up for a few years. And every year that passes, the difference between rent and mortgage rises the amount that the house would have to sell for to break even. Say $20,000 a year with rent/mortgage difference, means if the market returned to what I owe on my loans in 6 years, I'd still lose $120,000 just from rent/mortgage difference. It would be a gamble, the same as going to Vegas and playing craps. So I'm out, too risky.

2)Shortsale with a standard realtor and my bank's current offer. Which is they will release the lien so the house can be sold and change the home loan into an unsecured loan. So I take about a $50,000 loss plus the seller's costs, the interest rate stays the same(its a fixed rate 6%), monthly payment stays the same($998) BUT no negative hit to my credit. So I lose money, but my credit stays excellent. Risk is I can't find a buyer who wants the house and can qualify for a loan.

3)Shortsale with a shortsale specific realtor lawyer combination(Webuyuglyhouses.com type). They use tactics and agressive negoiation so that I do not take a loss at all. The bank takes the loss because it'll save them money over a foreclosure. While I walk away without a loss, it does hit my credit. Not as bad as a foreclosure, but it is negative. I think he called it a "re-negoiated loan". He said with a credit fixing company, it would take 2-3 years to completely clean my credit again. Risk is the bank won't come to an agreement, its completely dependant upon the realtor/lawyer combo convincing the bank this is its best option. Which may be tough since I will keep making full payments on time. Someone who is 2 months behind would put more fear into them.

4)Bankruptcy. No sense foreclosing without going backrupt since the bank will come after me for the difference of the auction price and my loan balance. Obviously, this would be the last choice. But if I can't sell the house and the market keeps going down, why would I shortsell with say a $100,000 loss. That's a lot of money, better to ruin credit than pay a ton of money.

So that's where I'm at now. Realtor is coming over tomorrow and we're going to list the house and see if anybody bites.

Any advice? Suggestions? This market took the wrong time to take a dump on me. :banghead:

Last edited:
not so sure about "better to ruin credit" heck you can not even rent a dump without a credit check today...

Heck of a move there, DFW is going to be a tough move with the heat and humidity coming from CA...

I think I about died there the first time i was out in 100 degree with 100% humidity all day in the sun...

good luck on the house deal, timing sounds pretty lousy..

#2 The housing market is in the dumps because so many people owe more money than the house is worth or more than what they can pay, then turn around and let the bank eat it.

9 times out of 10 I would opt for renting the property if you can afford it. With people not being able to afford buying a house they can live with relatives or rent something. Find a good management company (that can be tough) and see where it goes. If you change your mind you can still sell it later. Definitely a tough decision though.

Charles

Another option is to try to sell the house your self.

You never know and this could save you $50,000 in fees depending on what your house is worth.

I have sold many of my own homes, using a lots of signs and open houses and trying to take advantage of the potential buyers going to OTHER open houses in the surrounding areas.

Then place an Open House Classified Ad in the paper as all the other Realtors do. As you know people drive around on the weekends where they would like to live and they check out all the open houses - so you work the streets and pull them in as they cruise by.

Make a nice flyer, lots of copies and get ready to hand them out as well as set up a holder for flyers in your front lawn

Its worth a try

Last edited:
Hasnt most of CA taken a pretty big beating the last year? I heard 40% in some areas..

Guess that it the rebound of the outrageous "appreciation" that the southwest/west coast has gone through over the last 10 or so years... AZ has some developments going into foreclosure

Short Sales are hard to do and I was doing them in a decent market in Saint Louis. Bankrupsy is going to hurt your credit, If renting causes you to have to pay more of the difference than you can afford there is one other option. Call your lender and try to negotiate. They are willing to work with people right now to avoid foreclosure. There are govt. aid programs to lower your interest and payments. Get your payment lowered to an amount you can rent the home for. DO NOT CALL THE WE BUY UGLY HOUSES GUYS, they will screw you!!!! Most agents have little knowledge of short sales too. They may say they can do it, but they then get to list your house and pull buyers in and may never get your home sold. KEEP YOUR PAYMENT UP. You can call to negotiate a short sale with your lender on your own as well. The bank will take the loss, I really do not see what you are talking about in number 1. The credit of your new buyer will determine the interest rate and I have never heard of a bank turning the loan to an unsecured loan. It is too much risk for the bank. If you keep your payments current and do a short sale, you will not have any credit issues at all. Try to save your credit at all costs. I have negotiated a lot of short sales with banks and they are never easy. Most of the time they want to see a contract for purchase. You can offer your home for owner financing. This normally gets a higher payment, more down, and will keep people from trashing your home as much as a simple rent agreement because they feel the pride of ownership. You will then have a contract to offer the bank. Offer the house in craigslist with lots of pictures. Call your lender and arrange to get people pre approved. Make sure their credit is half way good. The bank may be willing to finance a riskier person to get the deal done quicker as well. If your home is in good shape, their are new gpvt backed loans available through the FHA programs to help people buy right now with little money down. Offering the home as a owner finance will bring people out of the wood work that may still qualify and don't know it.

Charles, I would seriously consider finding a good property management place and trying to rent it out.

You know I have a rental house and it became a rental for the near the same reason. We lived in it, decided to buy a new house, did not have the time to sell it so it became a rental.

yes we have had a few minor issues but all in all it has been ok. we were going to sell it RIGHT at the same time the housing market crashed, we never got it sold so it is a rental again.

the house had appraised for 190k last year, now we checked and it is worth about 130k

My property management people said they thought the market was going to begin a rebound in about 2010 but speculators are saying it will more likely be closer to 2012 before the market comes back.

Hope some of this helps

+1 on manager, Rents are going higher than you might think, If you are moving out of town, get manager involved, worth every penny.

I was renting out 2 properties... My opinion.. it sucks big time.. I was barely breaking even on mortgage payments.. and fix things tenants neglected. No one will treat your house like their own..

I`m closing one of them on 25th.. thanks god!

You can call to negotiate a short sale with your lender on your own as well. The bank will take the loss, I really do not see what you are talking about in number 1. The credit of your new buyer will determine the interest rate and I have never heard of a bank turning the loan to an unsecured loan. It is too much risk for the bank.

That's option #2. I called my bank and that's their offer on the shortsale. Its USAA and I'm not behind in my payments, so maybe that's why its a different shortsale offer. The loan stays exactly the same, but I take the loss. The bank simply releases the lien and takes more risk.

I've talked to a few agents/brokers and it seems the vast majority of people who can make the banks shortsale and have the bank take some or all of the loss, are behind in payments. Which I'm not and won't be. I'm not sure that a shortsale type where the bank takes the hit can be negoiated for me. Partly because I'm not behind(not much risk) and also because its USAA. USAA typically has one offer and you either qualify or you don't.

Hasnt most of CA taken a pretty big beating the last year? I heard 40% in some areas..

Guess that it the rebound of the outrageous "appreciation" that the southwest/west coast has gone through over the last 10 or so years... AZ has some developments going into foreclosure

Yup, I bought the house for $429,000. Got married to a wife with spending habits above our income. Made a bad choice and refinanced, $6,000 went to new roof and $34,000 went to ex-wife's cc debt. Got divorced and 100% of the house. The house went as high as $610,000!! Now I owe $464,000 and the house is worth $415,000-410,000. And still falling. It seems the faster I sell it the better.

You can offer your home for owner financing. This normally gets a higher payment, more down, and will keep people from trashing your home as much as a simple rent agreement because they feel the pride of ownership. You will then have a contract to offer the bank. Offering the home as a owner finance will bring people out of the wood work that may still qualify and don't know it.

Now that's a new option I haven't heard about yet. :thumbsup:

Anybody have more information on this? Links will be fine. I just need to research it and see what the risks are and what is involved in it. How its even done.

Yup, I bought the house for $429,000. Got married to a wife with spending habits above our income. Made a bad choice and refinanced, $6,000 went to new roof and $34,000 went to ex-wife's cc debt. Got divorced and 100% of the house. The house went as high as $610,000!! Now I owe $464,000 and the house is worth $415,000-410,000. And still falling. It seems the faster I sell it the better.

$34,000? You know, you would probably be getting out of jail right about now:whistle::laugh:

I googled it and is this what you're talking about Fate?

If you still have an existing mortgage on your property:
Step1 Agree to a purchase price with the buyers.
Step2 Identify the loan balance on the current loan.
Step3 Identify how much you are willing to finance. Are you going to finance the entire loan with only a down payment, or are you just financing a small portion to fill the gap between the buyers' down payment and amount of their new loan (possibly 5 or 10 percent).
Step4 Enlist the aid of an attorney or escrow officer to handle the paperwork for the wraparound.
Step5 Continue to make your payments on your original loan.

So the house would be offically sold to the new buyers, it would be titled in their name, and I would have a lien on it just the same as my lenders have a lien on my title?

So the risk would be if they don't make payments I'd have to foreclose on them and being #3 in line, 1st lender/2nd lender/me lender, I'd lose all in a foreclosure since the my lenders will get the money first.

Before you can offer owner financing, you probably need to own the property free and clear of mortgages. Some mortgages can be assumed by a buyer, but most cannot. If you do not own the property free and clear you can use a form of seller financing known as a lease option. This enables you to get someone into the house quickly but you still hold title and the due on sale clause is not triggered. There is information on lease options on this site.

Remember that if someone assumes your mortgage, you are usually still liable on it if they don't pay. (Unless you get a release from the lender called 'novation').

Be wary of letting someone buy your property 'subject to' the existing mortgage. If they do this, they are not guaranteeing that they will make the payments And if they don't it could come back to haunt you years later.

Advantage would be I could sell the house just above market, set the interest rate just above market, or both since the buyer can't qualify for a loan on their own.

Is this right, sounds like I could minimize my loss but take on some risk.

Last edited:
Is your company offering anything towards your relocation. Seems they should be trying to help you make this transition as smooth as possible. Check with them. Otherwise, I say rent it out. If you can get at least most of your mortgage payment back each month, seems better than wrecking your credit and taking a huge hit. Just please check out the people you are renting to. Don't just call their references, go check out where they use to live. Talk to the landlord in person. Well you get the idea. There are good renters out there. Good luck!!

I googled it and is this what you're talking about Fate?

So the house would be offically sold to the new buyers, it would be titled in their name, and I would have a lien on it just the same as my lenders have a lien on my title?

So the risk would be if they don't make payments I'd have to foreclose on them and being #3 in line, 1st lender/2nd lender/me lender, I'd lose all in a foreclosure since the my lenders will get the money first.

Advantage would be I could sell the house just above market, set the interest rate just above market, or both since the buyer can't qualify for a loan on their own.

Is this right, sounds like I could minimize my loss but take on some risk.

:thumbsup: That sums it up, somewhat, have done alot of these myself, if you have questions pm me. I have been on both sides of this, I buy this way too. Contact an attorney to draft docs or I have some available too I can send you that are generic and will give you an idea of the contract structure. Let me know if I can help...

Oh the other advantage is you still own the home, you can foreclose and take the home back if they default, keep the large deposit and make payments and profit while you set another buyer in place. All the while the market comes back and each time your home is worth more $$

Still work a shortsale to get the loan amount down as low as possible so you don't take a loss.

+1 with mrsBusaWhipped.

If your company is relo'ing you, they should help out by either helping you sell or buying your house.

You say you are current on payments, I would not default. Your credit is too important. And bankruptcy? Make sure you have no other assets - Busa is 1, cash etc. With the new bankruptcy laws, you cannot walk away - you'll still end up paying.

From what you've said, I'd sell it and take the loss. You can write it off on your taxes. It's easy for me to say because it's not my money.
Best of luck

Back