Looking for a GPS

Garmin Zumo 550..... down hill from there. You can save money on others but in the long run it is the best suited for motorcycles and adding bike to bike, music, cell phone and XM.
I have owned Garmin units for 10years and use their software on my computer to plan routes and download POI files from the internet.
$85 is hard to debate, you will need to know many things before you pull the trigger.
1. What are the mounting issues.
2. Power supply hook up.
3. Does it have audio turn by turn? Can you hear it in your helmet? Looking down at the GPS while riding is a bad idea.
4. Can you make routes before/prior to a planned trip?
5. Are map and software upgrades available?
6. Can it handle outside environment? Rain, sun, dust, and most of all vibration.
7. Tech support, if you know someone with the same model and knows the function it is very handy to call and get info on the operation.
Just a couple of things to consider.

A lot can be said for getting what others use and have done all the real world testing.

You will find the Zumo 550 is hard to beat despite the cost. Check other forums, BMW, ST1300, Goldwing etc, the people logging big miles are the ones to ask.

On the surface it looks like a great deal, it may be an $85 gamble and work out fine. Or it may be an $85 pet rock.

Last edited:
I noticed the map files come on the included SD card. Does anyone know if it reads from the SD or do you transfer to the device?

I'd have to second the Zumo 550. The initial cost was a bit tough to bite. I know it's paid for itself just in avoiding tickets because I use it for my speedometer on my bikes. The bluetooth feature is pretty good, but it is mono for music. You can hardwire speakers to it for good quality stereo. No amount of rain has phased my Zumo. The screen can easily be controlled with gloves on. Rain and ice didn't effect glove operation last winter either.

get the Zumo 550 or 650. Nothing else comes close. Check out what the Iron Butt riders use. Google Iron Butt Association

Just went with the GARMIN NUVI 750. $140 on ebay. Factory refurbished.

cant go wrong with that :cool: you may or may not know this but garmin has the madmaps that you can just download into that model and it will show you everything along the way :thumbsup:

Not good in the water. It wont be in the water so nothing to worry about. Ive seen the garmin 220? in action on DR1300's bike and loved it.

Back