Lightest and best brake rotors.

I went with Galfer Wave Rotors. I like 'em.

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

Mine look like this:

EBC XC Contour 5.5mm discs They are quite a bit lighter than stock.

Here is a description from EBC

Features:​

• The steel used in the EBC rotor blades is a special stainless blend with higher friction effect than normal heat treated stainless steel found on stock discs
  • Boasts up to 10% improvement in friction effect improving brakes even further
  • Weight of the X and XC series is reduced by 5-10% by using a 6 only button drive system on a lightweight alloy centre hub, which once again grabs the lead over stock parts
  • The SD-System uses a square sided rivet with many advantages
  • The SD-System of square sided buttons means that the rotor can expand inwards and outwards unrestrained and that perfect rotor functionality is retained at any speed or load
  • This extends the lifetime of the rotor and prevents distortion failures
  • Keeps the rotor blades perfectly true and flat throughout their life cycle and technically the only reason for a rotor to need replacement will be impact damage or over a very extended number of miles possible rotor wear limits being exceeded
  • This means that a rotor equipped with the EBC Brakes SD-System could last 5-10 times as long as a conventional rotor built with circular buttons
  • The drive forces under braking are transmitted over a line contact on the square side of the button compared to the point contact of a circular button

IMG_0680.JPG

As you're trying to lose every ounce, I remembered that there is plastic that can be trimmed out out the seat cowl's mounting plate.
And, if you havn't relocated the regulator/rectifier to inside the tail/side of the subframe, that you lose the weight of the mounting bracket under the shock.
There is a new bracket for under the tail, but you don't need it.
The reg/rec can get mounted with bolts or ties to the side of the black plastic inner fender.
That could save you a couple of ounces, and help you to reach the next pound, lol.
As for the best and lightest rotors, of course that's a question for the old Toad.
Yeah I plan on cutting that out of my cowl too. Ordering my aluminum tank from beater Japan as we speak. I'm bout to start calling this Bike a Zukati how expensive it will be

Mine look like this:

EBC XC Contour 5.5mm discs They are quite a bit lighter than stock.

Here is a description from EBC

Features:​

• The steel used in the EBC rotor blades is a special stainless blend with higher friction effect than normal heat treated stainless steel found on stock discs
  • Boasts up to 10% improvement in friction effect improving brakes even further
  • Weight of the X and XC series is reduced by 5-10% by using a 6 only button drive system on a lightweight alloy centre hub, which once again grabs the lead over stock parts
  • The SD-System uses a square sided rivet with many advantages
  • The SD-System of square sided buttons means that the rotor can expand inwards and outwards unrestrained and that perfect rotor functionality is retained at any speed or load
  • This extends the lifetime of the rotor and prevents distortion failures
  • Keeps the rotor blades perfectly true and flat throughout their life cycle and technically the only reason for a rotor to need replacement will be impact damage or over a very extended number of miles possible rotor wear limits being exceeded
  • This means that a rotor equipped with the EBC Brakes SD-System could last 5-10 times as long as a conventional rotor built with circular buttons
  • The drive forces under braking are transmitted over a line contact on the square side of the button compared to the point contact of a circular button

View attachment 1680968
Bill, why has your bike got a steel rod sitting atop of your fuel tank??

Who makes the best and lightest brake rotors. I have zero experience with anything other than stock.
Sicom make the lightest rotors nowadays , be prepared to a potentially long wait tho , about 1 year 3 months so far for my 14R order . Braketech used to offer an excellent ceramic rotor , but sadly no more .
Straight Carbon? If so they only are effective at certain Temps correct?
Not for street , carbon rotors need shrouds most often to hold the heat necessary for optimum temp to work . They are the ultimate race brake in dry conditions .

For steel rotors , you got to look at a drilled type , or wave type , and 5.5mm is stock , but 5.00mm would be desirable , a combination of all would be very light .
Wow. . I had no idea Brillo made rotors as well as their legendary steel wool soap pads . . .
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
View attachment 1680970
No Kiwi , not for cleanin up your horrid crap....lol , but for ultimate weight loss and brake effect .

IMG_20211111_120029.jpg

IMG_20211112_185750.jpg

Back