License plate cost

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
I live in Quebec (Canada), and the people in charge of automobile vehicules registrations are in the process of revising their fees table for the years to come.

Right now it costs CAD$325 per year to keep a motorcycle like the Busa on the road, and the way it looks the discussions are heading, it might go up to CAD$1320 within 2 years!

Of course motorcyclists of Quebec are freaking out, lot of people won't even be able to afford it... Not mentioning that down here, because of winter, we use our bikes only 5 or 6 months per year!!!!

Anyway, i was just curious what other people had to pay for registration where they live... Input welcome

race.gif

OUCH! That hurts!!

Our tags in Florida are like $35 a year.. motorcycles and cages.

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141744046 -->

Registration in Colorado is based on the value of the vehicle (supposedly, I couldn't get them to explain exactly how it's calculated last time I asked. There may be other factors, number of axles, where you live etc.) It starts off high and goes down as the vehicle gets older. If I remember rightly it was a couple of hundred US$ the first time for the 'Busa.

Why is it going to be so high in Canada, are they including taxes that used to be applied elsewhere (purchase, gasoline, tolls etc.)? Sounds like you might need to take to the streets/get organized to fight the hike. Do you have an equivalent of the AMA up there who can represent you?

Tags here are around $40 ....I think , taxes were over $300 .  
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|Warputer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141744781 -->

Over here in Maryland, the fee is about $130 for 2 two years I believe.  Oh by the way Zef, Montreal was FREEZING over the weekend.  Man I will try to limit my trips to Montreal during the winter months.

<!--EDIT|Big E
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141750122 -->

California here. For personal plate this year was $124.00 on 03 Busa. Goes down as bike gets older.

I live 3 miles south of the border in Berkshire, Vt.
About 50 minutes from Montreal.
Cost is 23 per year.
No excise or property taxes ever.
Just 6 % sales tax the first time you register it.
Want to use my P.O. box , and register it in the states ?

I live in Ontario (Canada) and the cost of registration is $42 for my busa.  The car is around $70.

By the way, what Zef forgot to mention is that the cost of registration he is talking about INCLUDES INSURANCE!!!  Quebec has a government-run insurance system for personal injury.  They do not however cover material damages (you still need your own insurance for that).  My understanding is that the total of the state-run insurance, the private insurance and the true registration cost is comparable to what it is in Ontario.  

It is also true that the cost in Quebec is going up over the next few years.  However, the cost had not increased since about 10 years.

My .02

Geez !!!!!
When are those separist going to take over and really ruin the province.
They only lost by 1/2 of 1 % last time.

Here is the cost to ride a Busa in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Consider yourself lucky! I get the maximum discount as I have no tickets or claims in 10 years!

insurancecost.jpg

Here is the cost to ride a Busa in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Consider yourself lucky! I get the maximum discount as I have no tickets or claims in 10 years!

insurancecost.jpg
Hit me on my head and call me Duck !!!!!
VT residency, P.O. Box's, and tags available.
Insurance for full is like 500.
P.O Box 25 bucks.
Plates 23.
Unlimited mail forwarding,
Priceless.

Back