Lets play who had the WORST fuel pump filter

COLDSTONE1298

Registered
I'll go first. This is what i pulled from my 2000 busa fuel pump with about 50k on the clock.. ::9

23374809581_ORIG.jpe

23440884340_ORIG.jpe

Last edited:
lnteresting, I looked up the maintance schedule on my Gen 1 and there is NO schedule inspection interval on the Fuel Filter :eh: . I guess they think when you coast to the side of the road or the bike can barely putter along, you'll know you need a fuel filter :whistle: . Me, I always change it every 25,000 miles to be on the safe side :beerchug:

Was your bike surging, coughing, or cutting out?

Just about to change mine too. :( Pulled the gas tank off last night.

wow i'm at 50k , wonder what mine looks like . If its better than that i'll say its because of only using Chevron . we will see

Guys only the 1999 to 2000 have this filter!

I know, 2001+ has different gas tank. :(

This way seems really stupid (on 99/00) as you've got take everything apart just to change a $10 a filter. Ordering all my gaskets.

So does a 05 have a fuel filter at all?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk.

Completely different setup. The 99-00 has a small thin filter that stick into the tank a couple inches.

The 01+ has large hole on the bottom of tank where it inserts into the tank itself.

01-07 Gas tank
IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

So, for the 01+ you have to remove the tank, then crack the gasket and pull the filter out of the tank, then replace the new filter and gasket?

This will be on my list of winter projects as it is not as quick as an oil change.

Was your bike surging, coughing, or cutting out?

Oh it was doing all that and then some. Power loss for 5 seconds going into second gear...power loss at high speeds..and the bike putting out and stalling at stops after about a hour. ran probably 10 cans of seafoam through this thing. The screen thats part of the insulator that wraps around the pump itself was cached with brown crap. Hit that with contact cleaner and debated cutting them out altogether but decided to leave it in for now. Lil screen at the back of the filter i hit with contact cleaner too as i could not get the damn screws to budge to get the part off to get to it. I damn near shredded the 4 screws that hold the pump together. GODZILLA himself must have been working at the suzuki factory the day my pump was assembled. Phillips screwdrivers were just rounding them off. So after letting wd-40 set on them for about 30minutes i used some robogrip pliers and sheer RAGE to get the friggin things off.

I did the inline filter mod (40psi metal filter from napa) and everythings tight and holding fuel so far. Think i may just look at a 01 or higher gas tank switch this winter perhaps. Bike is running ok so far. No more stalling and power seems stable though i haven;'t beat on it too hard yet.

I can only imagine though if the filter and screens were this bad...how do my injectors look? ??? If the bike runs stable for now i will get them cleaned this winter too.

Do you have a part number on the filter, did you change the pump also.......................

Pump was fine just the screens needed cleaning and as for the filter i took it out of the picture completely buy doing the inline filter mod. 40psi filter from napa put between the inline from the tank to the pump. MUCH easier to get to now.

Back