Let’s talk security camera systems

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I am looking at new camera systems and want to know what your opinions are, I know quite a few of you do or used to use some of these systems.

About 5 years ago I invested in a Netrome Blackbox system with 8 camera hook up. It has done pretty well for the most part. This was a PC based system and I figured you get what you pay for so I spent about $1700 on this system over some of the cheaper systems available at that time. The more expensive systems were with places like Audiotronics who quoted me about $5000 installed.

Over time I have seen Netrome go out of business, and seems to have been picked up by Honeywell which voided all customer support on the Netrome systems. The Netrome techs apparently did something with the newest software which sabotaged the online viewing of the cameras.

Well come to find out this PC based system is basically a standard computer with a camera capture card in it. About what I figured anyway, but is this card worth $1000 or what, because that seems to be about what the original price reflected. My capture card has now apparently gone out and I am looking at replacements which can be found very cheap but just about all of them require more processor capability than this system has, and most at this level don’t seem to offer D1 recording capability which is something this system did not have anyway.

This brings me to the newer DVR recording systems with 8 camera set up. These systems seem to be much higher quality recording and most offer D1 recording, which seems to be about 700 lines instead of 460.

I am looking at a Swann DVR system with a 1TB drive which is what I added onto my PC system. Here’s an example of what I am looking at.

SWANN SWDVR-83000H TruBlue DVR (8 channel)

This brings me back to “do I really get what I pay forâ€￾? These DVR systems are sold as stand alone units using my existing cameras, monitor, etc for $399. Cheaper systems can be had on Ebay for $200. All seem to have the same capabilities. I called Audiotronics and their DVR systems (by themselves) start at $1200 but the saleman familiar with these systems was not there so I could not ask a lot of questions.

One question I have is…what is the big difference? Is it just the name brands, functions, or the support provided afterwards?

Let’s talk!

Here's one for $249 which at first looks good, But after looking close it does not appear to have D1 recording and looks like a lot lower resolution. Have to read the fine print on these things...then once everything looks good, there's always another option that does not come with it.

8 Channel Video Audio CCTV Security Surveillance 1TB Recorder H.264 Network DVR

I have a few of these around the house and for the money you really can't beat them at all. I can monitor them from anywhere in the world from any device, can be alerted when motion is observed, they work in total darkness and are pretty much weatherproof if you get the right one. No issues being wireless and the cool part is the ability to instantly record or using the remote app to actually have a conversation via the camera with who ever is in frame. Far less $$ but not sure if it would meet all your needs....it did for us though. :thumbsup:

Foscam.us - Wireless IP Cameras

Those are pretty cool and I have thought about setting up some wireless cams, but I have all the cameras already hard wired in and buried with about 1000 feet of cable run under the yard, driveway, and pool. I really need some information and thoughts on the new recording/video capture devices.

yeah we have been happy with them :beerchug: I caught a pair on 1saleaday.com for under $100 and they are awesome

Costco has a variety of systems for 1000 or less. Includes a DVR recorder that keeps like 72 hours per camera and has camera display and switching capabilities built in.

I work with security cctv / dvr
I am familiar with some of these popular brands which are used in banks.

Accutrak
Nice
Pelco

All three are good brands except for the Nice which is made in Isreal due to hard drive failures.

I am interested in this thread....

Been looking at systems, but cannot find anything with approx 4 cameras that has decent reviews without spending over a grand.....

I am interested in this thread....

Been looking at systems, but cannot find anything with approx 4 cameras that has decent reviews without spending over a grand.....

What have you looked at/found so far?

In comparison with the $1000+ systems, what do you think about the $399 Swann system linked above?
SWANN SWDVR-83000H TruBlue DVR (8 channel)

My biggest issue now and also 5 years ago is only the cheapest, low end units are kept in stock and you can't really see what it is you are looking at or attempting to purchase until it arrives at your door step. :banghead:

I want something that comes with cameras and all. Going to put one on the drive, in the barn, in the detatched rec room and another on the back porch.

I guess one thing I am really wanting to know is...what does a $1200 system have that a $400 system does not have?

I have seen some of the more expensive systems have zoom camera's but other than that is it just the brand name?

My current system cost $1700 but todays $400 systems seem to have more options and better resolution, etc than my current system has so I have to wonder...do I really need to look at a $1000+ system again if I already have all the camera's, monitor, etc hooked up.

I don't yet see any reason to do so but would like opinions...why is a $1000-$1200 system (DVR box only) better than a $400 system (DVR box only) if they seem to be similar?

Well, since I know very little about them, I have to go by the online reviews.

Most of the $400 systems, in the reviews it usually says that the resolution is crap. The last thing I want is for me to have a camera system and not be able to recognize anyone in the picture.:thumbsup:

Now maybe I am just looking at the wrong brands, but, like I said, I am clueless as to which brands I should be interested in.

I guess it boils down to what do you need/want it for? If you want to be able to spot check or be alerted to motion and don't want a huge investment, there's the less expensive options. If you are protecting a store/house full of priceless valuables and want to ensure that should someone decide they want it more, you can provide detailed evidence to the police, you will be sinking some cash into it. I suspect perhaps you are in the middle based on previous purchase but with the low cost of entry into the "less expensive" market (like the ones I have) maybe you can just pick one up for $100ish and see if it does what you need? There is always ebay if you find its not the solution for you but I suspect some of the new lower cost setups might do a lot more than you think and could meet the need without a massive investment. These things are HD now so clarity isnt as much of an issue as feature set :beerchug:

I live outside of town, with three buildings on my property. Other than the house, the other two are nearly impossible to keep someone out of, if they really wanted into them. One is a pole barn, with a huge sliding door. The other was a detatched one-room rec room when we purchased the house. Now it houses my two motorcycles. I want to be able to see someone who would break in, if they do. It would be nice to access them remotely, but I do not really need notification.

The small town I live in has become overrun with meth heads, and they are getting braver and more desperate every week. My home is on a dead-end, private road. That helps with people not driving back and forth to scope things out, but I feel it is just a matter of time before it happens.

The only systems I have looked at were at Sams, or on Amazon. That was how I figured out that the resolution was crappy:lol:

The only systems I have looked at were at Sams, or on Amazon. That was how I figured out that the resolution was crappy:lol:

Can you say what resolutions you have looked at? I am assuming CIF resolutions at 380 - 420 - 460 or so?

The one DVR at $399 I am thinking of has both D1 resolution with 30 day recording for 8 cameras and also mobile support for phone or laptop.
I linked the 8300 above but am actually looking at the 8400.

Swann Communications 8-Channel DVR Security System with Network and 3G/4G Capability — Model# SWDVR-84000H-US

• Resolutions: 1024 x 768; 1280 x 1024; 1280 x 720; 1920 x 1080
• Full screen video capability lets you see high definition HDMI and VGA output in real time
• Includes HDMI port
• Includes remote, mouse, Ethernet cable, BNC-to-RCA cable, power adapter, software and theft deterrent sticker

So far I can't think of any reason why a $399 DVR would not work, but I am still looking for a good reason to rule it out.
Is this still crappy resolution compared to higher end models?

PS: One thing to look for that I have noticed is Full D1 Resolution Recording on all channels.
Some systems advertise D1 recording but only have it on one channel and use CIF recording at a lower resolution on all the other channels. (fine print or no print).
I've yet to be able to verify if the system I am looking at is D1 capable on all 8 channels.

This is what I do not understand. You can purchase a PCI capture card (what my current system has) for anywhere from $59 to a couple grand.
Same thing for DVR's.

Here's a PCI card for $1,139 on Ebay
Nuuo 16 Channel DVR PCI Card SCB 7016 H 264 Card | eBay
Item # 261048452011

What in the world makes this card so expensive? It still only offers 30 frames per second on each channel at D1 recording.
It does require a little more PC resources and capability which tells me it might be a bit faster, but the options seem to be about the same...why so much?

That is the biggest reason I started this thread...do you really get what you pay for?

This is what I do not understand. You can purchase a PCI capture card (what my current system has) for anywhere from $59 to a couple grand.
Same thing for DVR's.

Here's a PCI card for $1,139 on Ebay
Nuuo 16 Channel DVR PCI Card SCB 7016 H 264 Card | eBay
Item # 261048452011

What in the world makes this card so expensive? It still only offers 30 frames per second on each channel at D1 recording.
It does require a little more PC resources and capability which tells me it might be a bit faster, but the options seem to be about the same...why so much?

That is the biggest reason I started this thread...do you really get what you pay for?

People put things in eBay for a super high price hoping a sucker will click buy it now before researching. Example are the lil keychain spy cams are .99 cents + shipping an people have them on eBay for $275.00 with free shipping. Just waiting on an impulse buyer.

Same thing recently buying led light tape $13.50 for 16ft of tape an some people have the something listed for over $300

I agree. But some places such as Audiotronics DVR's start at $1200 for their bottom models.

I admit I have not been able to speak directly with their salesman to see what he says about their systems. Keep in mind their $1200 DVR box still uses all my existing cameras and equipment.

I'm heading out to hopefully take a look at the 8400 system tonight but I do not expect to find one in stock anywhere to look at first hand.

I went and looked at the Swann system and unless someone can convince me otherwise I think I am going to try it.

Here's some good info on the system, of course these prices are with the cameras and hardware included with the DVR box.

I can pick up the box alone (special order) for $399 with a 30 day return no questions asked.

Swann D1 DVRs - larger, clearer real-time video - YouTube!

Back