Led Or Hid

Yukonman69

Registered
I have a 2012 busa and I'm currently running 6k hids (low and high beam). Night time the lights don't seem to be very bright. Low beam is a straight line across the road and the high beam barely does anything. Just wondering if I should stick to the hids or switch to LEDs?

I know from experience that hid "kits" actually worsen visibility and throw light everywhere. You need to retrofit HID projectors to actually see an improvement. Not sure how good LEDs are since I haven't seen them in person. A lot of people like the generic HID kits and are happy with the light output, I was not.

I know from experience that hid "kits" actually worsen visibility and throw light everywhere. You need to retrofit HID projectors to actually see an improvement. Not sure how good LEDs are since I haven't seen them in person. A lot of people like the generic HID kits and are happy with the light output, I was not.

What he said. From what I have noticed, the people that are happy with the kits are the people that live and ride in the city. People that ride where it's dark at night quickly realize that the kits are not for them.

I don't do much night time riding but when I do I'd like to see further in front of me. Don't get me wrong the hids are bright and can light up road signs, but id like to see the road kill before I get right up on it.

put a PIAA extreme in the high beam position. high beam HID is worthless. takes too long to heat up to full power. once its on it will re-strike relatively quick but it defeats the purpose of the HIGH beam which u need to be instant cause as soon as a car comes u have to turn it off. I've found by the time the lights starts to reach full brightness its time to turn it off due to traffic.

I switched my high beam HID for a hologen PIAA. works way better now. some hav done the LED conversion but its not gonna give u anymore lumens then the HID in low beam.

My 6k HID hi and lows on my 2006 worked very well for as long as I owned the bike. I cant remember the brand, but they were not the cheap ones. They were bought from either a vendor or link....Xenon?

It could be your bulb positioning. There is a line at the top to keep you from blinding on coming cars.

Retro-fitting HIDS to a lamp that's not designed for HIDS, will throw light everywhere but where you want it. Add to that you will probably annoy every other person heading towards you.

As Mabupa said, you need to mod the headlight to accept the projectors to get HIDS to work properly. Best bet is to just to upgrade the bulbs to a higher spec. I found Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs to be the best.

I have HID, and we installed LED in Maps bike. I believe once something happens to my HID, I may try the LED. The one Map has is very bright.

Back