Leaning in turn

Not great at it myself either but all the above works. just practice and no death grips either. when i learned to relax my hands and arms everything flowed a lot better.

KISS THAT MIRROR!!!

I'm still not too good at cornering, I'm more of a countersteering rider, than a leaning rider. But I used to hang out with motoGP racers..and they always told me. "If you think you aren't going to make that corner, lean your body into the corner and try to kiss the mirror".

It's saved me a few times..I'll be going along.. maybe a bit hotter into the corner than I wanted and I'll be talking in my helmet "Kiss the mirror, kiss the mirror."
smile.gif

Trust your tires, but make sure you're not out trying to become an expert at this with poorly worn tires.

Otherwise, Charles & Wag have pinned it for you.

Good luck! It's a blast...and I know you'll have loads of fun with it.

cool.gif

Most important point to me is: have the response engraved in your mind BEFORE the moment of crisis arrives. If you don't you will freak and lose it- panic wrecks more inexperienced riders that actually exceeding the performance envelope. In other words, the bike is capable of making the corner at the speed it's going, but the rider is not capable of piloting it around the corner correctly. Rider freaks, panics, reacts incorrectly and crashes.

So maybe repeat to yourself as you practice something like "Look and lean" or "Push the inside bar and lean it!".

My personal cornering ability I believe came up a notch when I started leaning my UPPER body over and forward to stick my face in front of the mirror as I approached a corner. I had seen too many people hang their butt off and then COMPLETELY offset the center of gravity by leaning their UPPER body the other direction!! "Whee, look at me I'm hangin off!" but not helping their CG at all in the process. Duh...

Leaning the upper body helps the bike to stand more vertical in the corner with all the benefits that come with that position, and helps to engrave correct body position when later you want to try hanging a cheek off as well. Arguably hanging off is not merited on the street with typical road quality and street tires, but leaning upper body helps cornering and doesn't look to Barney Fife like you're screaming "Hey officer look I'm Speed Racer!!" burning around the corner with sparks flying off the knee of your replica Rossi leathers with the titanium sliders...

It's also cool as hell to see the road about 24" below you in your peripheral vision when railing a corner...
ThumbsUp.gif

Or like this guy who needs ELBOW sliders...
wowold.gif

Elbow_drag.jpg

I used to hang out with motoGP racers..and they always told me. "If you think you aren't going to make that corner, lean your body into the corner and try to kiss the mirror".
I like to lean forward, even scoot forward so that the inside leg wraps around the front of the lower fairing. I keep it tucked against the fairing rather than stick it out trying to drag knee. I feel more like part of the bike then...

Per Keith Code,,,,,,,these are seven things riders do when they think they are cornering too fast. (obviously, these are things we should not do).

1. "Roll off the gas.
2. Tighten on the bars.
3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view.
4. Fixed attention (on something, usually the thing you are trying to avoid)
5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention.
6. No steering (frozen) of ineffective (not quick enough or too early)steering.
7. Braking errors (both over and under-braking)."

These reflexes lead to running wide, highside falls, or hitting the thing we are trying to avoid.
Until I read Keith's book, I was making mid-turn corrections like these everytime I tried to push for speed.
Think about it. We have all panicked, chopped the throttle, grabbed the brake, and gone wide when the bike stood back up.

If you're going to learn how to hang off the side of the bike, make sure you practice it at slow speeds first and get good at setting your body position properly. Have someone help you, someone who knows. At the very least, have someone videotape you and then post it up here and get some comments from people.

I know people who can drag knee at 20mph. It's not about how fast you're going, it's about your form and your technique. The important thing to remember is that you need to learn it slow before you attempt to do it fast.

Be patient and practice! You'll get there!

--Wag--

People that drag a knee at 20 mph------------->AWESOME!
It is so much fun to watch and inspires confidence in ones own riding.

I entered a corner too hot at the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago and the only thing that saved my bacon was experience. I didn't have time to think I just reacted. Consequently, the bike was really cranked over in the turn but I made it.

I came in to Hot about a Week after a Bought the BUSA. Just out of Dumb Luck I Made It while Hiting the Brake on the Turn !

I learned to drag knees just doing figure eights in a parking lot(with no cars in it!)
got it down my 2nd day but I have been on two wheels my whole life. As keith code says if you cant do it slow , you cant do it fast. I recommend learning it slow then applying the speed as you progress. If you practice this you will notice a huge difference in the comfort level you ride at. Also one other thing I would recommend is learning it in your mind before trying it on a bike.
beerchug.gif

cheers

dang, I guess I gotta find the files again... oops.. (site would not let me upload them here and I guess I forgot about that domain)

Back