LaHood eyes taxing miles driven..

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Oh this is a fair tax huh? These pinheads crack me up. Change we need right here folks.

r8

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

"What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America," he said.
(how about unfair taxation)

The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.

The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours. (we will watch you)

The Associated Press: AP Interview: LaHood eyes taxing miles driven

Crazy....Would I be taxed by the state of registration when I drive out of state? This is full of all kinds of problems.

Oops my transponder isn't working :badpc: guess I shouldn't have dropped that weight on it.

No tax for me

This idiotic idea tries to impose on us what we should have the common decency and intelligence to do....walk when we can and yes, BA BUSA, ride a bike every now and then :). Lazyness is just another aspect of modern society that is getting worse.

This idiotic idea tries to impose on us what we should have the common decency and intelligence to do....walk when we can and yes, BA BUSA, ride a bike every now and then :). Lazyness is just another aspect of modern society that is getting worse.

We ALL should get more exercise :thumbsup:

I see this just as another way to generate more revenue :banghead:

I think they should install a computer chip in every kid born so that way we can tax them for the carbon they are using in an area as they go through life. As people move from area to area to area we can carbon trade in the purest sense the actual person! If they move from country to country we can use that to offset our industrial carbon account.

Sorry but this idea grates me so bad...they are doing this in Oregon with 600 volunteers who have agreed to have their lives tracked! With more and more states signaling they want to do this we really need to make our feelings heard!

I will now jump off my soap box...sorry for the rant.

stop with big brother rants...this is about money, i would rather pay for the miles i drive than be taxed because of my choice of vehicle.

this is perfect, why should you be charged for the upkeep of highways and roads you do not use.

they are not tracking your lives....

stop with big brother rants...this is about money, i would rather pay for the miles i drive than be taxed because of my choice of vehicle.

this is perfect, why should you be charged for the upkeep of highways and roads you do not use.

...yet :poke:

Whoops, darn enter button!! And 40k is for work alone, so.. Tax me for doing MY JOB??? WTF, get real... Hmm.. Big brother is watching you!!! See, it started with traffic cameras, on gets worse from there.

Read the article again. This is in "addition to" the excise tax on gasoline you already pay.

r8

Read the article again. This is in "addition to" the excise tax on gasoline you already pay.

r8

thats not what the article you posted says...

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Being charged for miles instead of type of vehicle being driven is not a bad thing in my opinion.
But in terms of "being watched". . . I'm a little more skeptical about that topic. the miles thing is not as close in direct relation as some things though.

I have a heavy international travel schedule each year. This is how things started out in the UK... There are over 5 million camera through out the better part of London and surrounding region. It is introduced as one idea and then morphs itself into other areas and before you know it, its in more of your products.

Oh yeah, have you looked into the fact that Walmart is one of the early adopters of RFID's on products you buy and are using private companies to survey selected neighborhoods to register where the items purchased in their stores and where they are being used? They put a white paper out in 2005 on specific regional targeting of consumer buying habits. How would I know this? Is it just a rant? One of our divisions invented the RFID and I know the division manager over that group.

Also, one of the national labs I worked at has a group that focused on this very issue that this thread is focused on...so it is not a rant about big brother...it is a statement that you are hard pressed not to have a "private" life anymore.

This idea did not just appear overnight. It has been in the works for well over a decade so... I also am opposed to having to support more of a burdensome infrastructure off my back via tracking where I go and what I do! I pay my taxes and gladly do so. I served my country for 20 years and gladly did so, I now work for my country and gladly do so once again...I just do not need my local government taking advantage of a technology that traces what I am doing on my free legal time.

the worst part is...then they will be able to start mailing out tickets for speeding

I have a heavy international travel schedule each year. This is how things started out in the UK... There are over 5 million camera through out the better part of London and surrounding region. It is introduced as one idea and then morphs itself into other areas and before you know it, its in more of your products.

Oh yeah, have you looked into the fact that Walmart is one of the early adopters of RFID's on products you buy and are using private companies to survey selected neighborhoods to register where the items purchased in their stores and where they are being used? They put a white paper out in 2005 on specific regional targeting of consumer buying habits. How would I know this? Is it just a rant? One of our divisions invented the RFID and I know the division manager over that group.

Also, one of the national labs I worked at has a group that focused on this very issue that this thread is focused on...so it is not a rant about big brother...it is a statement that you are hard pressed not to have a "private" life anymore.

This idea did not just appear overnight. It has been in the works for well over a decade so... I also am opposed to having to support more of a burdensome infrastructure off my back via tracking where I go and what I do! I pay my taxes and gladly do so. I served my country for 20 years and gladly did so, I now work for my country and gladly do so once again...I just do not need my local government taking advantage of a technology that traces what I am doing on my free legal time.

And for you Sir! :bowdown:

r8

016.jpg

typical of the conspiracy...big brother is after us group. you start off with statement about government not taxing ou for the gas you use, but for the milage you drive....and when that is actually shown to make sense....you bring RFID and the tracking o your buying habits....talk about morphing into something else.

now you may not want someone to know that you buy certain products...and thats great. i personally do not mind, i prefer the ease and convenience of the electronic age. what does it matter if somebody knows what you buy?

anyways, there are many ways to stay off the grid.....so quit the fear mongering and live your life off the grid. i would rather use the system to my advantage, instead of cower in fear of it.....

PS : your not the only one that served, so don't start throwing that around as if it means your opinions are any more valid than any one elses...

I am in a program that is looking into this very issue. First, it isn't an additional tax, it is to replace the road use tax. Further, people driving electric and alternative fuel vehicles do not pay ANY road use tax at present. I am signed up with the Univ. of Iowa and have a nav device and mileage computer installed. It tells the University where I drive and where I buy my fuel and how much fuel. It is an eight month program. The problem is, when you buy fuel out of your neighborhood your road use tax does not get credited to your local roads, it gets credited to the area where you purchased fuel, not good. I simply enter the amount of fuel into the computer when I get fuel and it knows where I bought it. Every month, I get a statement of the GENERAL area I have driven and when, per day. I also receive a statement of the applicable tax for the miles driven. The statement is not for "real", is is an example of a tax statement. All in all, it is less expensive than the tax at the pump, per mile. Since all new vehicles have the electronic engine plug for diagnostics, it plugs in to that port so it knows how many miles are driven. At the seminar, the person told us that ANY program like this couldn't even be considered to be started for at least 20 years, there are too many older vehicles that don't have the electronics to support the computer. Any questions?

Ron

Last edited:
Back